Close X


I'm a Pepper!

Two Years at the Rainbow

April 24th 2010 6:48 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 4 people already have ]

My fur sister befure me went to the Rainbow two years ago. She did not have a Dogster page. Mom asked if I would mind sharing some space in my diary with her today. So today, my diary is dedicated to Jamaica. I listen, she speaks...

My Life

Life as a puppy was pretty good. I had lots of fur siblings and a fur mom. Then one day two people came and took me away from my mom and my brothers and sisters. I was scared. But I didn’t cry. I was a quiet girl.

The furst night I slept in a room all by myself. There wasn’t much furniture in this room. My new skin mom and dad had not lived here very long. I was scared. But I didn’t cry. I was a quiet girl.

The next night I slept in mom and dad’s room in a laundry basket lined with blankets. This was better. I wasn’t as scared. Why didn’t they have me in here with them in the furst place?

I soon was bigger and figured out how to tip over the laundry basket. From then on I was pretty much free in the house.

I really liked a little stuffed koala bear that sat on the floor in one of the rooms. There was a mama koala holding a little baby koala. It was the little baby that I liked. I didn’t hurt the little baby. I just liked carrying him around. This was the only stuffed animal I ever played with.

My aunt came to visit with her dog, Mandy. Mandy and I got along great! She was a sweet, big, black lab mix and by this time I was about a 7 month old puppy. The pawrents decided to take us for a drive and go for a walk at a place in California called Monterey. There were lots of other people walking in Monterey, too. It was a beautiful sunny day.

A little boy came up and wanted to pet me. Iguess because I was the cute puppy. I moved away. I did not know this little boy. I did not want him to touch me. He followed me over the other side of my mom. I moved away again. He followed me again! He was not getting my signals! So I nipped in the air toward his hand. Dad told me that was really bad! He was mad at me! :o(

The little boy was not much fazed by my nipping. But I got my point across and he did not mess with me anymore. Mom told him to pet Mandy and she, Mandy, took over entertaining this kid. Whew! Thank you, Mandy!

Another time, Mom and Dad thought I would enjoy a walk through the woods. Problem was we had to pass thru a creek. It was a hot day and they wanted to get to a water hole they heard about. This is when we all learned I REALLY HATE WATER(not just baths)! Then the crazy people let me off lead. I really wanted to run away after they practically drowneded me! But they were the only people I knew and so I stuck around. But I had to go thru that creek again to get back to the car. This was the one and only time we took that walk!

My bestest friend was our good neighbor lady. She had a Scottish terrier and a German Shepherd dog when we furst met her. The German Shepherd’s name was Savannah. Savannah was old. She had not had the best life and spent much time on the end of a chain, outdoors, always. But neighborfriend lady rescued her and made her last months the best times of her life. Savannah was my teacher.

Savannah taught me to run off with her when we were off lead while walking in the woods with our humoms. We always came back but pretty much in our own good time. Savannah also taught me to be polite. She didn’t take a lot of guff from Arnie, the Scottish terrier. But she was pretty tolerant of me, puppy that I was. But one day I was getting to be bigger and there were treats being handed out and somehow I ticked her off. She held me down with her paw. This time I was scared but I DID scream and cry. I was so surprised! I never ticked her off again. She was old and did not live too long after that. But I learned my lesson and always waited politely for my treat after that.(My dear sisfur, Pepper, is still pretty rude in this regard)

My best doggy friend was a Golden Retriever named Sadie. Sadie was only a year or so older than me. We had the best of times romping around together.

When I was about a year old Mom and Dad brought home a small, loud, strange skin creature. I was scared. But I didn’t cry. I was a quiet girl. Fur the furst and only time in my life I chewed up something, a blanket.

The previous month, I was really enjoying that Mom was staying home with me and not going off to work. It was just the two of us all day. But boy, Mom’s stomach was sure getting big! Time to lay off the Cheetos, Mom! Then a couple days before the weird skin creature came Mom announced that her water had broke. Mom and Dad hurried out of the house that morning. Dad came back to check on me that night and the next morning but I didn’t see Mom. When she finally came home the next day after that, she had the weird skin creature.

I soon figured out the creature was a human baby and he was here to stay. I was a very good big sister. I was not overly interested in the baby but as he grew I tolerated his interest in me. Once when he was about two he fell (or jumped) on me when I was in a deep sleep. I growled and jumped up, I was MAD (anyone would be, too!), but I just trotted away and found another place to sleep. Mom told the kid off for doing that to me and it did NOT happen again.

Me and the boy found our peace. He was not really a tormenting kid and when he tried to hug me or whatever I would just lick his face. That gave him some attention from me and he would be satisfied and stop bugging me.

When I was about two neighborfriend lady got a German Shepherd puppy. She named him Thor. Thor was pretty big even as a puppy. He liked tennis balls. He would carry one around with him all the time. I had NO interest in tennis balls. But I loved to take his when the opportunity came up. Gentleman that he was he would wait for me to drop it so he could get it back. I LOVED tormenting him! But he tormented me by attacking me in greeting every time I came out of the house. So I think we were pretty much even.

When I was about 8 something happened to my knee and I was only using 3 legs to walk. Mom waited a day or two to see if it would get better. It did not. Mom took me to the vet.

I ALWAYS HATED going to the vet. HATED IT! Anywoof, the vet said they needed to take x-rays. Mom left me with those horrible vet people for a day. Can you believe it?! After the x-rays they said I need something called surgery.

A week later Mom dragged me back to the vet for the surgery. I stayed there all day and all night. When I came outta there my leg hurt even worse! I think they cut it up or sumptin! I was not too happy with the human race at that time. I WOULD NOT LOOK AT MOM THE WHOLE RIDE HOME!

Mom said I couldn’t go on my normal walks for several weeks! WEEKS! Also she put me in a crate fur the furst time in my life! Plus I had to go back to the vet every coupla weeks fur check ups. Luckily these times I never got left there.

Well, eventually I started using all of my legs again. About a year later I was pretty much all better. Thankfurly I never went thru anything like that again. But I was getting to be an old girl and this pretty much aged me faster.

By the time I was 11 I was the last of the original dogs on my street. My friends were all gone, even Thor, though he was younger than me. Life gets lonely and well, I was not one to make new furiends easily. Life was winding down in me and I was getting tired. About 3 months after my 12th barkday I followed my furiends to the Rainbow. I was scared. But I didn't cry. I was a quiet girl.

This is one long entry, but hey, much of my life is in it! Pepper has the luxury of chronicling each event as it happens to her.

This will be my one and only entry in Pepper’s diary. I thank her fur letting me speak befure it all gets too fuzzy. I think I taught my humans a thing or two about dogs and I am glad Pepper is benefiting from that. Now is her time and I wish her a long, tail waggin life.

Wags from the Rainbow,


Leave A Comment | 4 people already have

Barked by: dorothy *dot* louise in heaven (Dogster Member)

April 24th 2010 at 7:43 pm

Jamaica is one of the reasons being at the Rainbow is sweet.

It was wonderful of you to give up your diary for the day to your fur sister.

One day we will all be together.
Barked by: Pepper - CGC (Dogster Member)

April 24th 2010 at 8:52 pm

Hello Miss Dot,

Jamaica says thanks fur reading her entry. But maybe you two Rainbow residents know each other! Hope you both know me and your sister Lucky are pals here on earth thru this dogster thingy.

Barked by: ✨ Whitley ✨ (Dogster Member)

April 25th 2010 at 4:58 pm

I know your mom and dad are missing Jamaica especially today - big hugs for everyone!
Barked by: Lumburger (In Loving Memory) (Dogster Member)

May 15th 2010 at 9:20 pm

Jamaica, it was so nice to hear your story. Moms new pups, Sargent and Dutchess are fur friends with Pepper. Together we can sit on rainbow bridge and watch over our youngsters.

Enter your comment information or log in if you have an account.

Fields marked with * are required

Anti-spam Challenge:
1 + 7 =


Pepper - CGC


Family Pets

Jamaica - A
Rainbow Girl


(What does RSS do?)