Labrador Retriever/Beagle
Picture of Patterson , a male Labrador Retriever/Beagle

Photo Comments

Home:Boardman, OH  [I have a diary!]  
Age: 8 Years   Sex: Male   Weight: 51-100 lbs

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments (1)

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Patterson

Patter, Patty, Patrick. Boogy, Patty Pat

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Sun Sign:
Quick Bio:
-mutt-dog rescue

April 24th 2008

Being with his family, following people around, laying on people's feet, sleeping, looking out windows, doing what we are doing when we are doing it.

When Bexley has a toy he wants. Or when we sing our opera song to him just to make him howl. He also does not like to swim, no matter how much we would like him too!

Favorite Toy:
His red fuzzy ring--but he is spoiled and has a new toy almost every day. He also loves his bones--bone is his FAVORITE word.

Favorite Food:
Ice cream, and any people food except chips--he will spit them out!

Favorite Walk:
Anywhere, he loves to walk.

Best Tricks:
After his 2+ months of recuperation after the surgery he forgot all his tricks. He def. needs to go back to school ASAP :)

Arrival Story:
A neighbor of a co-worker of my mother had a litter of puppies in June. We wanted one so badly, but my brothers dog Bexley was living with us, and we weren't sure. In July Patterson came back to my mom's office-- dirty and mistreated. The family he went to did not take care of him--he was small and scared, and he was ours. Since that day we have loved him and we think it was meant to be.

Out of his whole litter he is the only black one, the rest are yellow/white. He has a short stubby tail, as does one of his brothers Dash (who another one of my mom's co-workers now has). His other brother Roy has a super long rat tail.

The Last Forum I Posted In:
I had to say goodbye to my big sis today.

Patter is Better!:
**Update** On April 21, 2009 Patterson underwent a total hip replacement at the Ohio State Veterinary Hospital. The surgery went very well, the hard part was the 2 months that followed of recovery. As of now (four months later) his hair is almost 100% grown back, the scar is barely visible, and he has complete function of his leg/hip (actually better function then he has had his whole life!). It was a long road, but now Patter has his whole life ahead of him! February 2009: Sad news for Patter and our family. We just found out that at just nine months Patter has hip dysplasia. We are very saddened by this, mostly because we hope our dear friend is not in pain. We joined Dogster to gather information and get advice from all of you who have gone through this. A litter mate of Patterson was put to sleep in October for this--so we will be visiting a new vet in a week and learning more. Until then we will be keeping everyone updated through Patter's diary and hoping he stays with us for a very long time--because in such a short time he truly has become our very best friend.

I've Been On Dogster Since:
February 12th 2009 More than 7 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my Pup Pals

My Life

Update on Patterson's Life Since Surgery

August 25th 2009 6:19 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

On April 21, 2009 Patterson underwent a total hip replacement at the Ohio State Veterinary Hospital. The surgery went wonderful according to his doctor, being such a young dog (he turned one just three days later, but we had his party the day before we went to Columbus--that is him in the hat!) he was strong and fit. The hardest part for EVERYONE involved was POST surgery. We heard that he was barking to get out of his cage in the recovery center the night of his surgery. We brought him to Columbus on a Monday for his evaluation, his surgery was Tuesday, and we went back to pick him up Wednesday evening--so it all went very fast. We were excited to go see him, but nervous to take care of him on our own, and especially to make the three hour drive home with him in the car! When we picked him up he was definitely himself, very excited to see us, and ready to go home. The problem was he had never felt better in his life (he was born with hip dysplasia) so his leg felt wonderful to him! The surgeon could barely control him to get him in the car, so we knew it was going to be a long two months of recovery. Usually there are three months of recovery, with very very limited movement, and then the follow up in Columbus, but because of his age the doctors even cut it down to two!

I posted pictures of his terrible scar and haircut on his page. He looked terrible, ugh, but he didn't know. About two weeks after the surgery we went to our local vet to get his staples out. After that his huge scar began to heal surprisingly well. His hair grew back at the rate of molasses--they butchered it, but they are surgeons not groomers! It was very stressful in the house. We had to cover ALL the wood floor with rugs, we bought baby gates to block every door, he was mainly kept in the family room. I was constantly worried he would slip on the wood floors in there! Obviously he didn't see a stair for two months (or Bexley my brothers dog for that matter)! We tried to play with him, but not to get him riled up. He had a hip harness thing that we used to get him up and down the porch stairs to get him out and he took pills for pain and infection. Again, it was STRESSFUL. As the doctor told us MANY times, the surgery was a success, but the rest was in our hands. I was worried every day the smallest thing could harm his hip as it was healing. And as usual he felt great, he wanted to MOVE and go, but couldn't. A dog does not understand when he needs rest, so that was hard! We finally gave up about him getting on furniture, we did everything we could to get him to not jump, but we failed!

Finally, June 20th came and he had his follow up appointment in Columbus. Thank God he got a wonderful report. The doctors were happy with how he healed, and the intense recovery period was over! We were told to slowly ease him back into everything, however that night my brother and his dog had to stay with us due to some flooding at his apartment, and when the dogs are together they PLAY! So, Patterson JUMPED right back into things--it was like nothing had changed.

In August we took him to Lake Erie for a week, he ran so much that most people couldn't believe he had just had surgery in April! He didn't like to swim, but spent a lot of time near the water. It is just unbelievable to watch him and think of all he went through--sometimes I forget he has a new hip! His scar is covered by hair, his hair is pretty much grown back, and he definitely forgot about the whole experience already!

We are glad the experience is behind us, and obviously never take Patter for granted. Also, we completely and totally recommend the Ohio State Veterinary Hospital. Our experience there was great. They took wonderful care of our pup, and obviously did an amazing job on his hip. It was an amazing place, a complete working hospital for dogs, with interns, residents, different departments (he was in orthopedics obviously). OSU was just full of doctors, residents, etc full of such skill that we are so glad we made the decision to go there for his care. If you are unfortunately facing the same situation, or any complication, we totally recommend it (ask us questions if you would like!)

Hopefully Patterson's second year of life is NOT as eventful as his first :)


It's Surgery Time

April 20th 2009 8:47 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Wow, what a day! This place is like going to an Army mash unit, Thank God for my family and the fact that they did not want to see me in pain any longer and end up with me walking on three legs!

It’s late and I’m sitting in my cage all alone here at the Ohio State Veterinary hospital. I am not afraid or feeling alone because of the Love my Family has shown me.

We got here last night and stayed in the hotel, I was so nervous that I didn’t eat last night or this morning. Dad and my Sister were here for six hours for the consult regarding my “THR” total hip replacement. I did not get to spend much time with them today as they had to give me that medicine again to knock me out so more x-rays, blood work and twisting my leg all around to see if I am a candidate for the “THR” and since the pain meds were not enough to control things and my hip / leg was going lame. Well after Dad and Sis meet with Corren the assistant three times and Dr. Dyce to discuss things. Finally Dr. Dyce told us that my hip dysplasia was moderate to severe but it was getting worse from reviewing my previous x-rays which left us with two choices. Cut and remove the top of my hip bone which would leave nothing in the socket. My leg would be shorter and I would basically walk with three legs until some muscle could possibly build up to help me. The other option was to cut the top of the bone off, rebuild the socket and insert implants.

It did not take long for my Family to decide that they wanted me to walk correctly and live a happy and healthy life. Dad whispered in my ear that he loves me and did not want me to whimper anymore. Sis gave me a BIG HUG and kiss and told me not to worry. Wow my Sis is so busy and took time away from school and work to be with me. I am soo proud of her as she is finishing Law School next week. I sure am going to try and recuperate quickly for her so I can be ready for her Graduation on May 17th. My Mom and Brother also love me and have been very supportive, but they needed to stay back at home and work. They are the BEST and told me yesterday before I left they love me and will help me recover if I needed the surgery.

Dad said we might have to cut back on a few toys and the treats wouldn’t be as plentiful since the surgery costs around 4000 boxes of treats. I told him it’s OK we will make due, but he is a softie anyhow and loves all of us that he would do whatever it takes.

The last steps before my Dad and Sis left, the Dr. and Assistant needed to shave my entire hip to check the skin and make sure there was not any bacteria. Everything checked out, so I got to see them before they left. I was still a little out of it, but we all got our Hugs, Kisses and a few tears in.

So the plan is tomorrow the 21st they will do the “THR” at 9:30 am and should take about an hour and a half to two hours. Provided everything goes well, I will be able to go home Wednesday or Thursday, so I will be home for my 1st Birthday on Friday.

Well I need to get some sleep and be fresh for my big day. God willing I will let you know how things go tomorrow night.

Paw to you all,



Wed April 8th, 2009

April 8th 2009 2:34 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Hi Pals,
Wags and Wiggles to all!

Well I am in my count down to my BIG trip. I have the special consult with the Staff at Ohio State University veterinary center on April 20th. My Dad and Sister are taking me and none of us know what to expect at this point, so I am getting a little nervous.

Lately my hip has been brothering me more and we have had to go back on some pain pills. The Doc originally started me on Etodolac 200mg once a day plus Glucosamine 500mg twice a day. My new Vet “Dr. Scott” changed that to Dasuquin 450mg twice a day, without the Etodlac. Again the pain got so bad that I started walking on three legs, so Dad put me back on the Etodolac.

Today we had to go see Dr. Scott as my family did not want to take any chances, so I got a Bordetella shot, in case I have to stay over at Ohio State. Also we picked up my records and x-rays for the Ohio State trip. The Doc said that he would rather see me on Deramaxx 50mg once a day as opposed to the Etodlac. He was concerned about my stomach.

Does anybody know about these meds?

Has anyone been to Ohio State?

What should I expect if I am a candidate for total hip replacement?

Please give me a Paw up if you have some information.

Your Pup Buddy - Patterson

See all diary entries for Patterson