Close X


A New Beginning

(Page 3 of 33: Viewing Diary Entry 21 to 30)  
[First 10 Diary Entries] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 Diary Entries]  

Dog Day Jubilee!

May 17th 2009 5:13 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

I had another fun day today! Mom and dad took me to the pet store to go shopping this morning. We bought dog and cat food and some oil for my skin and coat. Mom also bought me a large rawhide bone and a cookie. Later, it was back in the car. We went to a place called NARA Park in Acton, Ma. It is only about a 20 minute drive from our house. We got there early so we took a walk around the park. It was very nice. As we made our way around the park, we saw the tents for the Dog Day Jubilee. It was a small event, but it was still a lot of fun. I met a lot of nice dogs and people. Unlike yesterday, I was the only greyhound there. I met a nice male Great Dane! He was a lot bigger than me!! We saw all the booths and I got a lot of free sample treats. Yummy!!! They had a live band play music. I really wanted to run and play with the other dogs but I couldn't because the park isn't fenced in. When we got back to the car, daddy called Oscar's mom to see if I could come over to run with Oscar. She said "Yes", so we went! I ran hard and fast. It felt so good to stretch and play. I had a lot of fun. Oscar tried to teach me how to play fetch. We both collapsed in the grass!! What a great time we had. I'm back home now, lying on my bed, chewing my big rawhide bone. What a fun weekend!!!


A Day With Daddy

May 22nd 2009 7:46 am
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Daddy had the day off yesterday so he took me with him to visit grammy in New Hampshire. Mom had to work so she couldn't go. It was just me and daddy. When we got to grammy's house I went into my shy mode. I didn't want to inside but eventually I did. Later daddy took me to grammy's neighbor's house where they have a big fenced in back yard. I got to meet the neighbor's dog named Casey. I got a little over excited! When daddy let me off the leash, I started to run. I was so happy about running that I wasn't paying attention. I ran right into the fence!!! It took the wind out of me for a second or two. Daddy was afraid that I hurt myself, but I shook it off and took off running again. I was fine, it was just a bit embarassing. After my run, I was tired. We went back inside so I could rest. I watched daddy move grammy's TV's around. When daddy left to get lunch, I waited for him by the door. I was over being shy at this point and let grammy pet me. We got stuck in traffic on the way back home. The air conditioning in daddy's car doesn't work too well any more and it got kind of hot. When we got home, I went to my bed and feel asleep.

I have been a bad girl lately. I have discovered a tastey treat that mom and dad don't approve of! They kept noticing that my muzzle had white stuff on it. They weren't sure where it was coming from, but they knew I was getting into something. Daddy caught me! I was snacking in the cat litter box! I don't understand what mom and dad are so upset about! It is actually quite tastey. Today mom and dad are buying Ben and Charlie a new litter box. This one will have a cover and is shaped like an igloo. It has stairs that twist into the box. Looks like I won't be getting any more kitty tootsie roll snacks!!


Return To Horn Pond

May 22nd 2009 3:19 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Both Daddy and Mommy were off work today for the long holiday weekend. They wanted to do something special for me, so they took me back to Horn Pond in Woburn. Horn Pond was the very first walk I did with Greyhound Adventures. It was Winter time then and it was actually snowing a bit. It was very different today. It was sunny and about 92 degrees! The walk was pleasant because there was lots of shade and a nice breeze. I got to dip my paws in the lake a few times and I also took a few drinks of water to stay hydrated. We met some very nice people and dogs. I did much better with the bicycles, joggers and baby carriages. There was a man in an electric wheel chair. I had never seen that before. I was a little scared and walked as far away as I could around him. We saw two swans with their babies and also a mommy duck and a whole bunch of baby ducks. It was a beautiful day. After Horn Pond, we went to a nearby Petco. Mom and dad bought the new litter box. Ben and Charlie aren't sure what to make of it yet. Ben went right inside. Well, time to relax now. I have a big rawhide bone with my name on it.


Memorial Day Weekend

May 24th 2009 4:17 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Mom and dad did yard work yesterday. I watched them from the window. Mom had promised me a nice walk and I was eager to go. Finally they finished pulling weeds and raking leaves. We drove for awhile and then daddy stopped to get food at a cafe. He and mom had sandwiches and cookies. Mom gave me some of the cookies too. They were good. We drove a little further and ended up at the Minute Man Park. It was the same trail I did with Greyhound Adventures, but we started at the other end of the trail. This part of the trail was more wooded. It had wooden cat walk bridges too. We saw a snake sunning itself on a rock. There were other dogs, people and bicycles. I did very well. It wasn't too crowded. We came upon a man and his kids who were riding bikes. The man's little girl had fallen and she was crying. Daddy let the man use his cell phone so he could call his wife for help. After that we turned around and headed back to the car. It was a nice walk

Today, Mollie and Kiera came over with their mom and dad. We walked down the long trail across the street from us. We met another lady there who had a beagle named Rudy. We went on a very long walk. It was fun but the mosquitos wouldn't leave me alone. Mom and dad tried to brush them off of me. We walked about 3 miles. I was tired. After the walk, Mollie, Kiera and their mom and dad came in the house and had supper with us. It was fun having Mollie and Kiera over. We all drank water and laid on the floor. Mom and dad had fun with Mollie and Kiera's mom and dad too. They sat at the table, ate and made the strange sounds they always make. Mom calls it "talking". I was sad when Mollie and Kiera had to leave. I walked over to the door to say "good bye". Mom said I will see them again soon.


Minute Man Trail in Concord, MA

May 25th 2009 5:54 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Today was Memorial Day, so mom and dad thought we should walk more of the Minute Man Trail. I was running low on dog food so we first went to the pet store. We got dog and cat food, a new rawhide bone, some doggie treats and, of course, my cookie. It was shaped like a bone and had carob on it. Carob is like chocolate but it isn't bad for dogs like chocolate is. It was yummy. I also got some duck chews. They are good too. After the pet store we went to a couple of plant nurseries. Mom wanted a second rhododendron for the front of the house. Daddy went in to get it while mom stayed in the car with me. It was hot so she kept the AC going. Daddy also got a second lilac bush. Mom was happy because this one was the dark purple kind that mom loves. After we brought the food and plants home, we headed off for the Minute Man Trail. There was a nice breeze. Lots of people were there. Some were walking, some jogging and lots of them were on bicycles. By the end of the walk, I wasn't scared of bicycles any more. I just look at them now, but keep walking at a normal pace. Before I would get freaked out. We walked a long time! Mom guesses that we went about 4 1/2 miles. I was tired. During the walk I made a poo- poo. Mom had to carry the bag. She says that she always left "holding the bag". I'm not sure what that means exactly, but she was holding it for the whole walk. Daddy used to work near the trail so he thought there might be a garbage can near where he worked. We walked to the building, but couldn't find a trash can. They had steps going up and down the hill in the parking lot, so mom and dad had me practice climbing the stairs. I did just fine. I am still scared to climb the stair in our house. They are too steep. I did these stairs OK. Mom and dad took me up and down several times so that I will feel more comfortable. I was tired by the time we got back to the car. Mom had brought my water bowl and I had a couple of good long drinks. I'm going to sleep good tonight


Paws In The Park

May 31st 2009 5:31 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Saturday was a quiet day for me but very nice. Mom and dad went to Earthfest in Boston. They thought about taking me but they knew that I would be scared by all the people there. I don't like to be crowded. They didn't stay too long so they could spend more time with me. When they got home, we went to another plant place. This time I got to go in. Daddy asked them if dogs were allowed and they said "yes" We bought some tomato plants and an orange flowering plant that daddy really liked. Later in the day, mom and dad took me for a long walk in our town. We walked for an hour or so. I got to see some new places. In the evening, daddy took my old collar off and put on my new one. That was the collar mom won for me at Greyhound Friends open house in the raffle. Mom is washing my old one.

We left early this morning. Mom was excited. She told me that we were going to big dog fair called Paws In The Park. This fair was to benefit Save A Dog in Sudbury, MA. They are a no kill shelter that takes dogs that can't find homes and helps them. Both mom and dad got sponors for the walk. Together they collected over $600! I was very proud of them. Before the actual walk started we went and visited all the booths. Mom bought me a bright bandana to wear. It is very nice and goes well with my new collar. I was having fun until we got to one booth. I knew something wasn't quite right. Sure enough, I got micro-chipped!! Mom said it was in case I ever got lost. It only hurt for a minute. I got lots of free dog bones and treats. That was good. We saw all the booths and then it was time for the walk. We went on a nice path in the woods. I was near the front of the pack. The walk was supposed to be a mile, but it was shorter. I still enjoyed it. After the walk, we had to work at the MayDog booth. We are trying to get a fenced in, off leash dog park in our town. Mom set up my blanket, water and some snacks. Lots of people came. Daddy took little walks with me so I wouldn't get bored. Daddy and I entered a couple of contests. I won longest tail this time!!! I won by 3 inches!! What a great prize I got! It was a new stuffy squeaky bear. It's yellow. Daddy also took me to get my nails clipped. They were getting long. Mom wandered around for a while too to take a break. She came back with a box of Boston Baked Bonz. I got peanut butter cookies! Yummy!!! She also bought me a squeaky stuffed bone. Mom talked with a lady she knew who was trying to get a petition signed to stop dogs from getting devocalized!! I shudder to think about it. Vets will cut out dogs and cats vocal cords so we can't bark or meow!! The bill, if passed into law, will make this practice illegal. I hope it passes!! Mom took a signature sheet back to our booth and a lot of people signed it.
It was a long, but fun day. I got to see all kinds of dogs. There were other Greyhounds there too, and huge Great Danes. When we got back home, mom and dad went to buy food at the store. When they got back, they took me for a nice long walk. We went by the river. I'm tired now!!! I'll sleep good tonight. I think mom and dad will too!!


I Caused A Traffic Jam!!

June 5th 2009 8:10 am
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Yes, it is true!! Every Tuesday and Wednesday mom an dad come home late. On those nights I have a dog walked named Debbie come over to take me out for a walk and so I can do my duty. Tuesday night went fine but Wednedsday was a different story! Debbie often takes me across a busy road for my walk. This is the road that had that great trail I wrote about in my other diary entries. I love going there and I have been there many times. Well, for some reason I got really scared! I stopped right in the middle of the road and became a statue! I stopped all the cars!! Poor Debbie didn't know what to do! She finally got me out of the road and from there, all I wanted to do was go back in the house. She waited for 15 minutes and tried to take me out again. I wanted no part of it! I had to wait until mom and dad came home to do my duty! Last night, Daddy took me back across the road on purpose. He didn't want me to be scared to go across. I did fine! I don't know why I got scared. We Greyhounds are funny like that sometimes.


Whisker Walk

June 7th 2009 12:16 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Saturday was a nice day. Mom and dad took me to the pet store to get some supplies and food. I got my cookie which I always look forward to. When we got home we went for a nice walk to a different neighborhood. Mom has a hurt knee so she had to walk slowly. She did OK. When we got home, mom got on the computer. All of us are micro chipped and she gets E-mail alerts from the company about lost pets in the area. Most of the time the lost pets are no where near us, but this time there was one in our town. Mom started to read it and called to daddy. It was my friend Rudy who was lost!! He is the beagle who went on the walk with me, Mollie and Kiera. Mom didn't know his mom's phone number so weren't positive it was him, but mom said how many beagles named Rudy can there be in Maynard. (we live in a small town) We all jumped in the car and searched for about an hour until it got dark. When we got home, mom called Mollie and Kiera's mom and found out Rudy's mom's last name. From there she went to the white pages and found the phone number! (mom can be very clever when she wants to be) Mom called and found out that Rudy was safe and sound and back home. Some workers had gone to their house to get rid of some ants. They didn't close the gate right and Rudy escaped. He came back home after having an adventure. Mom was happy that Rudy was OK. We had a nice walk while looking for him too!!

Today was a big day. We went to a huge (and I mean HUGE) pet fair called The Whisker Walk. It was held at the Lancaster Fair Grounds which isn't too far from our house. I was a bit overwhlemed by all the dogs and people. We went to all of the booths and got a lot of free samples. We did the walk at noon to help raise money for MayDog (to get a fenced in, off leash dog park in my town) Other people walked for other pet related charities. I got to go in 2 swimming pools to cool off. That was fun! I also tried out an agility course. I didn't do too bad!! I did very well on the weave poles and jumping the hurdles. The tunnel was too small for me. We stayed for 2 1/2 hours! I'm tired now!! One of my samples was a sting ray tail! Mom thinks it stinks! I think it is kind of strange but I like it. Kind of tastey. It is supposed to be good for my teeth. Going for a walk in a few minutes. I'll write more later.

Back from my walk. What a surprise! I thought I was just going for a walk around the block or around the neighborhood. You can imagine my surprise when daddy told me to get in the car. We ended up at NARA park where the dog day jubille was a couple of weeks ago. There wasn't a doggie event going on, but we had a nice walk through the park. We saw people swimming, walking, jogging and even playing baseball and soccer. We did see some other dogs too and a family of geese with their babies. The older geese hissed at me when I walked by. They were protecting their babies. I wouldn't hurt them. It was a beautiful evening. What a nice surprise.


I'm Starting To Play!!!

June 9th 2009 8:02 am
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Mom and dad saw me last night. I was playing with my stuffed bone with the leopard print (it looks like my cat brother, Ben!) I was in a play bow with my tail wagging and I was tossing it and shaking it. Mom and dad were so happy. They told me what a good girl I am. I never had toys to play with at the race track so I didn't know how to play with them. I have been watching my cat brother's Ben and Charlie. They play all the time. Mom said that Charlie didn't know how to play when he first got adopted either. He learned by watching Ben.


Dog Park!!

June 12th 2009 5:41 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Daddy took a vacation day and mommy always has Friday's off. They wanted to do something special for me!!! Since we don't have a dog park in my town yet and we don't have a fenced in yard where I can run free, mom and dad wanted to bring me some where that I could go for a run. The nearest fenced in, off leash dog park was in Salem, MA. It is almost an hour away. We all got into the car this afternoon and daddy drove us there. I got all excited when I saw the other dogs. It was a very nice park. I met a lot of really nice dogs and mom and dad met some really nice humans. I had a blast running around. No one could keep up with me! They tried hard though!! There were water bowls there and chairs for all the moms and dads. We were there about an hour. It was so funny-- daddy was sitting in a chair and a pug named Diesel jumped right onto daddy's lap! Daddy laughed and didn't mind at all. Diesel did this twice! Diesel's owner was laughing too. It started to sprinkle and then rain so it was time to leave. Daddy drove us to another park called the Willows. I had to stay on leash. It is a nice park too. They have arcades and food places. We walked out to a pier overlooking the ocean.There were people there trying to catch fish. We also got to go on a small beach. Mommy collected a couple of shells. I got my paws wet in the salt water. We saw a couple of other greyhounds so we went to meet them. They were from our Greyhound Adventures group! We visited with them for a few minutes. After the Willows, daddy drove us to another parking lot. We got out and walked a short distance to a restaurant. It was called Rawbert's Organic Garden. It is one of mommy and daddy's favorite places to eat. They had two outside tables on the sidewalk. The table we sat at had a little "cubby" spot for me to go into. I could see everything but it was almost like a little crate for me. I had the building on two sides of me, then the open door on the other side, the table was in front of me. Mom and dad had supper and I watched everything going on. I got comfortable enough and laid down and rested. After mom and dad ate they took me back to the dog park again. I was too tired to really run. I socialized with the new dogs there but I didn't have any more energy to run. I am a sprinter, not a marathoner. I am very fast but I can only run for a short time. I get tired quickly. We stayed about 20 minutes the second time and then we took a walk through the rest of the park. The fenced off part for us dogs is only a part of the park. There were pretty walk ways with benches too. It was a fun day!! I'm going to sleep in my bed now!

  Sort By Newest First



Family Pets



(What does RSS do?)