Close X


A New Beginning

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing Diary Entry 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 Diary Entries]  

A whole new life

February 15th 2009 6:28 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

For the first 2 years of my life, I only knew the race track. My days were spent in a kennel with many other greyhounds. The routine was always the same, and I learned that routine and was very comfortable with it. Although I was bred to run and I do love to run, I just wasn't able to win any races. My best race was 3rd place and after that I just didn't do well. The next thing I knew, I was in a rescue shelter with other greyhounds. The routine there was similar to the race track so that was fine. People would come to the shelter to see us and take us for walks. On Feb. 1st, 2009, two people came and walked me. They spent a lot of time with me and I thought they were nice. They talked a lot to the woman who ran the shelter and then they left. The very next week they came back. Then a very strange thing happened. They made me get into this strange thing they call a car. I wasn't quite sure about it. The next thing I knew, I was leaving the shelter and riding in this car "thing" with two people I hardly knew. From that moment on, my whole world changed! Needless to say I was a bit confused, uncertain and scared! Thankfully they had a very large crate waiting for me. It was very much like he ones at the race track and the shelter. It was a place I could feel secure. It is quiet where I am now. There aren't any other dogs there, although there are 2 cats. I like cats and I don't chase them or anything. One cat is cool. I like to watch him play and run around. The other cat, I don't like so much. He stares at me! I growl at him sometimes. I don't chase him or anything, but I don't like how he stares at me. My new mom and dad are giving me lots of love and attention. I like that! I never got a lot of attention at the race track. I also like watching something called TV. It is a box with people and animals inside. I see a lot of dogs inside the box. The routine is all different now, but I am slowly getting used to everything. I have met some new dogs when we go for our walks everyday. They look different from me! I had never seen a dog that wasn't a greyhound. I have a new, best friend named Molly. She's nice. We played together yesterday and today we have a playdate at her house. Mom says I'll be able to run because she has a fenced in yard. My new mom and dad gave me some toys. I have never had toys before either. I like to carry them and bring them into my crate with me. Mom was laughing this morning because I brought some of the cat's toys into my crate. She told me that those toys weren't mine! I didn't know! She told me they are too small and if I ate them, I could get sick. Mom put the little toys where I can't reach them. It will take time, but I am getting more comfortable. One thing I do know, is that they love me.


More Progress

February 20th 2009 10:34 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Last Sunday mom and dad took me on my first play date. I went over my doggie friends house. Their names are Mollie and Keira. We ran around the backyard for awhile. Daddy made a video of part of it and you can see it on my page. I had a lot of fun and didn't want to leave.

Things are getting better everday. I am starting to leave my old life behind and embrace my new life as part of a family. I still spend most of my time in my crate, but slowly I am gaining confidence. Mom leaves the door open all the time she is home, so I can come out as I feel comfortable.

Today, as mom and dad were taking me for my bathroom break, we met one of my new doggie friends. His name is Vito and he is a pitbull. I like him. He is younger than me, but very nice and very friendly. Mom and dad joined Vito's dad and we went for a long walk together. I followed Vito and I didn't know where I was going! I wasn't scared though because Vito knew were he was going. I just followed him. Before today, I would only walk up and down in front of my house. Now I was walking around the neighborhood! Mom and dad were so happy! Vito had to go home, so mom, dad and I came home by ourselves. I did very well! I am another step closer to being a regular dog. Now I can go on real walks with mom and dad and explore and see new things!


More adventures

February 27th 2009 11:22 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

I'm doing better at going more places and doing new things. I am still a bit nervous, but slowly I am become a confident dog. Last Saturday Mom and dad took me on a long walk. It was the same loop I did with my friend Vito. On the way back, mom and dad stopped at the groomers to get information. I didn't want to go in the store, but nothing happened. Then when we got back home, mom and dad put me in the car. I did pretty good getting in. They took me to a pet store. Again I was a bit unsure of things, but I saw other dogs with their humans, so I relaxed. We walked all around the store. I got a cookie which was very tastey!

Today, mom gave me my second dose of hookworm medication. It tastes like bananas. I wish it was liver or beef flavor instead. Then mom and I walked our favorite loop. Wouldn't you know it-- I ended back at the groomers again. This time I got my nails trimmed. It wasn't so bad. When we got home, mom let me go to the trail that is by our house. It is a wooded trail and I really like the smells and sounds. The leaves feel good under my paws. Mom says when more of the snow goes away, we can walk the whole trail. That will be fun.


What a day!!!

March 1st 2009 11:15 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Actually what a weekend! Yesterday was good too, although not as exciting as today. Yesterday afternoon, after my walk, I got to go to the pet store again. Mom and dad bought me food (and food for the cats too) and this really cool dog toy! Mom says it kind of looks like a "jack". It has squeakers on all the ends! The best part is that it is in colors that I can see-- like blues and yellows. Dogs can't see red. We see it as grey. Anyway, it is great! I also got a cookie. I am hopping right in and out of the car now. It is fun-- I never know where I am going!!

Today was the best!!! Mom signed me up for a group called Greyhound Adventures. They meet once a week and go for walks. Mom and dad took me today! We went to a place called "Horn Pond" in Woburn, MA. It was snowing some, but about 25 or 30 Greyhounds and their people showed up. It was the first time I had seen another Greyhound since I was adopted. I had so much fun. We went on an hour long hike around this cool pond! We saw ducks, geese and swans! I had never seen a swan before. I also saw people on bicycles and jogging and of course different kinds of dogs. I did very well. I walked in front of the whole group!! Mom was teasing me about how I was only now winning a race!! My best actual race was 3rd. Mom said it was a good thing that I didn't win, because if I had, I would still be at a race track. Mom said they just used me at the race track to try to make money from me. I made some new doggie friends. When we got home, I went to my crate and fell right to sleep. I was tired!! What a great day!!!


The good, the bad and the stinky!

March 10th 2009 12:19 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

The weekend was nice. It was 60 degrees and Spring was in the air. Mom and dad took me on a long walk through our town. It was a different walk from the one that we normally do. Mom and dad wanted to see how I would do on a walk with more people and distractions. I did very well. We even walked past Mollie and Keira's house. They are my two doggie friends. No one was home though. After our walk, mom and dad had to go an energy fair, but they promised me that we would go to the pet store when they got back. I did even better this time at the store and walked right in. Mom and dad were looking for a pet bed for me, but there weren't any there that we liked. I did get my cookie!!!!

Sunday was another nice day. Daddy skates at the Skating Club Of Boston. He is getting ready to skate in a show at MIT. There is a park along the Charles River and it is right next to where daddy skated. Mommy and I walked along the river while daddy skated. I saw lots of things there. I was a little scared by all the people riding bicycles. Some people were jogging and walking. Lots of people had dogs. I saw lots of ducks and geese on the river banks and in the water. Mom and I took several breaks from walking and mom sat on a bench. This gave me time to watch things. I walked well on the leash for most of the walk. I am learning fast! The first sign of trouble happened at the park. I made a poopy and the the last bit of it was very watery. After daddy skated we went to Petco which was right across the street. I walked right into the store like a pro! We found me the perfect bed! It is called an Orthopedic Napper. It is SO comfortable! Things went well until that night. Daddy took me out for a walk around 11. It was shortly after we came in that I started to feel bad. My stomach wasn't right at all. It hurt!!! daddy was getting ready for bed at 12:30 and I couldn't stand it any longer. I started to cry as loud as I could! Daddy got the message and took me out. What a relief!!! By 4 am I had to go again!! This time mommy took me out. Anyway, not to get too graphic, I felt bad the rest of the day. Daddy worked from home. He drove mommy to work because it was snowing. When daddy went to pick up mommy, I had several accidents all over the floor! The next thing I knew, we were getting into the car. Mom and dad took me to an emergency all night clinic. We got there around midnight and didn't get home until 2:30 in the morning. The doctor said I had too much "bad" bacteria in my tummy. I have to take a medicine called antibiotics. It doesn't taste good, so mom puts a little peanut butter on it. Mom is home with me today. I am starting to feel a little better now. I hope to be all better soon. At least I have my new comfortable bed to sleep on. That really helps!!


More changes

March 13th 2009 5:12 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Things are getting better healthwise. The antibiotics that the doctor gave me are working. I'm glad about that.
Last night mom took me for my nightly walk. I thought that was strange because usually both dad and mom take me. Daddy stayed inside the house. I knew something was up, but I wasn't sure what. When we came back in, I went over to my crate, only to discover that it was gone! My bed was there and all my toys and my blanket, but no crate. I was a bit confused at first. I even let out a few whines to show my confusion. Mom and dad gave me lots of praise and treats. I finally went to my bed. At least it was in my "spot" It didn't take me long to forget about the crate. Mom can pet me more now and she doesn't have to crawl inside to reach me. Today I am fine with it being gone. Mom says now I am a full fledged family member. Today mom took me for a nice walk in the neighborhood. We went down the wooded trail and came out on a side street. It didn't take me long to recognize where I was. It was the same walk I did with my friend, Vito, only this time we were walking it in the opposite direction. Mom told me that I did a perfect loose leash walk. She was very proud of me.


Another Greyhound Adventure!

March 15th 2009 4:37 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Mom and dad took me on another great walk today with all my greyhound friends from Greyhound Adventures. A lot of dogs and their people showed up. Mom guesses about 40 or so dogs. This one was a long walk around Lake Quannapowitt in Wakefield, MA. I had SO much fun. I saw some old friends and made some new ones. At one point we came to a little beach that led into the lake. I got to go right into the lake! The water felt cool on my toes. I was tired when we were through but it was a fun time. After the walk daddy had to go skating. Mommy and I napped in the car while we waited for him. We went to Petco after that and I got some new treats and Pedi Paws to trim my nails. Now I am fast asleep dreaming about my fun day!! I know there will be many more adventures to come.


My First Obedience Class

March 20th 2009 5:26 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Mom said that today is the first day of Spring. It seemed a little cold to me. I still had to wear my jacket. Mom took me outside for my walk at 5 and at 6 she told me we were going out again. She put me in my jacket and told me to hop into the car. Mom drove me to the pet store where I get my favorite cookies. This was the first time that daddy wasn't with us. Mom took me to the back of the store where they have an enclosed area. She let me go in. Mom's friend (who is also learning to be a dog trainer) was there with a puppy. Mom let me off my leash so I could get comfortable. I played with the puppy. It wasn't long before more and more puppies came. I played well with them all. I was bigger than all the others and older too. I was very gentle with all of them and had fun. After a while, we had to get our leashes on again and a class started. I was a bit nervous and scared and didn't feel comfortable taking any treats from mom. I do very well at home. Mom is teaching me all kinds of things using a clicker. I know "leave it", "drop it", "down", "place", "focus" and "touch" commands. I also walk on a loose leash. I feel safe and comfortable at home. I didn't feel safe enough here. Mom was very understanding. I got to play with the puppies again before we left. Mom bought me a cookie. When we got home mom worked with me and the clicker. I did great! Mom said she will continue to work with me at home but I still have to go to the classes. She has to because it is part of her course requirement.


I climbed my first stairs today!

March 22nd 2009 5:50 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

I had another great weekend. On Saturday I got to go on two nice walks with mom and dad. We went across the street and walked through a different neighborhood. There was also a wooded trail that we did. I met a nice collie mix and her owner. I also went to the pet store to buy food. Mom and dad bought me a cookie and a new squeaky toy. It looks like a hedgehog and is now a favorite of mine.
Today I went with mom and dad to daddy's skating club. Mom took me to the park again while daddy skated. Mom and I had an hour walk in the park. I did much better with the bicycles and joggers. Mom and I walked much farther than the first time. We went through a tunnel! It was a little scary at first, but I did fine. After the tunnel, mom saw a set of stairs. They were broad and flat steps and not too high. With a little encouragement, I climbed the stairs! There were about 10 steps in all. I didn't have any problem at all! On our way back, mom took me to the stairs again to see if I could walk down them. I did!! Mom was so happy!! Granted they were easy stairs, but I did it!! Mom was so proud of me! When we got home, we had some people come over. They were friends of mom and dad. They really liked me. One of them, Susan, came on my walk with mom. We went down the trail by the house. It was nice.
Mom says she wants to keep up with my diary on Dogster to document all the progress I am making in my recovery from the race track. Mom is very angry about how the racing industry treated me. She found out that they had injected me with steroids to keep me from going into heat while I was racing. They also fed me rotting meat and made me live in a tiny cage with only newspaper for bedding. Of course when I was at the track, it was the only life I knew. Now I know there is a wide wonderful world out there. I have come so far in such a short time. Mom says I am very smart. I like to learn and explore new things. I love my new life. I am happy now that mom and dad came to Seabrook that afternoon and found me. I am a lucky dog. Mom and dad tell me they are lucky humans. I hope Ben and Charlie (my cat brothers) feel lucky too! I'm not too sure they feel that way, but we get along OK.


My adventure to New Hampshire

March 29th 2009 6:29 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Friday was a beautiful day. It was 60 degrees. Mom and I went for a long walk around the block to stretch our legs and enjoy the nice weather. We were walking down the street when I startled and jumped sideways into the road! A car almost hit me, but it was able to swerve in time. Mom almost had a heart attack!! It happend so fast. I still get jumpy at times. It is a trait of my breed. Mom took me back home by the trail and after an hour rest, we headed off to my obedience class. I played with the puppies and had a lot of fun. I still won't take treats except at home. We worked on the "leave It" command and since I wouldn't take the biscut anyway, I was the best in the class!! Actually that is a command I am very good at. Mom trains me at home. Mom can put a treat on my paw and I will not touch it if mom tells me not too.

Saturday I had a great adventure! Mom, dad and I drove an hour to New Hampshire. We went to a Petco there and had what is called a Meet and Greet with other greyhounds from the Seabrook race track . That is where I was adopted from. We also meet to tell people how wonderful we greyhounds are and to please adopt those who need forever homes. I saw some friends that I used to race with. Apple Tree was there. It was good to see her again and I hung out with her. She is almost my twin. We were there about 2 hours and I met a lot of nice people. I got lots of attention and petting. Mom bought me some bones to chew. People gave me treats, but I wouldn't take them. Mom put them in her pocket and I ate them last night when we got home.
After the Meet and Greet we went to grammy's house. It was the first time I met her. She is daddy's mother. I went into her house and even climbed a few steps. I explored her house a little and then settled down on the rug to rest. After mom and dad ate lunch, we went over to the neighbors house. She has a large fenced in back yard. I got to run off the leash. I ran and ran and got to stretch my muscles. I didn't quite get up to top speed, but I was very close. What fun I had. Daddy threw a ball for me and I chased it. I didn't bring it back yet, but that was OK. After my run we all got back into the car. Grammy came with us so mom sat with me in the back seat. We went to a park called Odiorne State Park and took a nice walk. It was near the ocean. I got to see it!! We couldn't go all the way down to the beach because it was too rocky, so after the walk, daddy drove us to another beach called Wallis Sands. I loved the way the sand felt on my feet and I got close to the water and the waves. I met some other dogs there too. The air smelled nice and salty. After the beach, mom and dad dropped grammy off at her house and we went to visit my grampy. It was the first time I had met him too. That is my mom's father. He has a fenced in yard too!! I was too tired to run a lot but I jumped and played and had fun. We spent some time in grampy's house. He has 2 cats. I was very nice to them. They weren't too sure about me though! I fell asleep in the car on the ride home. What a fun day I had!!

  Sort By Newest First



Family Pets



(What does RSS do?)