Close X


A New Beginning

I Went To The Vets

November 11th 2009 12:04 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

I thought things were strange this morning. Mom got up earlier than usual to take me for my morning walk. The morning routine started off normal, but I was a bit confused when I didn't get breakfast. The cats got to eat! Next thing I knew, mom had my harness on and me, mom and dad were in the car. The vet is only down the street. It takes about 2 minutes to drive there. We went inside and I knew where I was. I started to shake and got nervous. Everyone was very nice to me. I didn't want to go out back into the hospital area. Mom and dad both went with me, because I statued in the waiting room. The vet technician gave me my lyme vaccine and took blood for my yearly heartworm/tick panel. I was glad to leave and come back home. Mom gave me breakfast and a treat she picked up at the vet. At noon we went for a long walk down Winter Street. All was well until the phone rang. It was the vet with my blood work results. Thankfully my heartworm was negative. My other results were not so good. It seems that somewhere at sometime, I got bit by a tick. Mom and dad have both been very careful all Summer. I am on Frontline every month, was given the lyme vaccine and inspected for ticks. Daddy did find 2 in the house, but they were on him and crawling on the wall. They didn't have any blood in them or anything. The Doctor said I was infected with lyme disease and also something called Anaplasmosis. I have to go on antibiotics. Mom and dad are picking up my prescription at Walmart this weekend (It is only $10 there!). After my antibiotics, they will do something called a CBC- which means complete blood count. The vet said I could have picked this up anywhere, including while I was at the race track. She also said that I may never have any symptoms and might be fine for the rest of my life. The antibiotics won't hurt me, and could help me. Mom is upset. She called daddy and told him at work. Mom shouldn't blame herself. She takes very good care of me. Besides, I feel fine!


Leave A Comment | 3 people already have

Barked by: Wendy G

November 11th 2009 at 12:17 pm

OMD, Isis!! E'vyfing r gonna be ok!! It r NOD yur Mom's fault!! Pweeze tell hur it r nod, 'kay??? Take yur med'cine, tu!!
Barked by: Riley (Dogster Member)

November 11th 2009 at 1:10 pm

Everything will be okay. After you finish your medicine you'll be a-o-k.
Barked by: Minnie (Dogster Member)

November 16th 2009 at 9:24 am

My Mom was told by her former, excellent vet that many dogs test positive for exposure to ehrlicia, another tick-bourne illness, but few develop symptoms. I tested positive and took the antibiotics- no biggie.

Of course, I had heart worms when Mom rescued me, so compared to that, NOTHING is a big deal...

I don't know about anaplasmosis. and Lyme, pawsonlaly, but you have a good vet and a good humans, so you should be fine.

Sending you POTP and a big smooch- can you lean down here so I can smooch you?- Thanks!

A smooch for your worried Mom, too. I'm sure it's not her fault & she will take very good care of you.

Enter your comment information or log in if you have an account.

Fields marked with * are required

Anti-spam Challenge:
1 + 3 =




Family Pets



(What does RSS do?)