Koko Marie

Jack Russell Terrier/Miniature Poodle
Picture of Koko Marie, a female Jack Russell Terrier/Miniature Poodle

Photo Comments

Home:St. Louis, MO  
Age: 11 Years   Sex: Female   Weight: 11-25 lbs

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Koko Marie

Beanie, Beana Maria

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Sun Sign:
Quick Bio:
-mutt-dog rescue

February 4th 2006

Koko loves having her belly rubbed, cuddling and playing

The vacuum cleaner

Favorite Toy:
Oh man, she's got hundreds, so I'm not sure - she plays with them all.

Favorite Food:
She loves all food, but her favorite treats are Dingos

Favorite Walk:
Anywhere, she's so curious, she loves to go for walks!

Best Tricks:
Her jumps

Arrival Story:
On a cold February morning, my mom woke me from a deep sleep. She had my dad on the phone and she asked a simple question, "Do you want a dog?" As soon as she asked me, I shot up out of bed and asked, "Can I?" She said, "yes, but you have to go down to dad's work now, he has one there for you". I quickly jumped out of bed and threw on some jeans, a top, and some tennis shoes. Then it dawned on me to ask what was going on. I asked my mom why dad has a dog for me at the hospital - it didn't make sense. As I was running across the landing to the bathroom to brush my teeth, she told me that my dad found a small, furry dog shivering in the bushes in front of the hospital. I guess this is where I get my love for animals, but my dad, immediately, fell in love with her. I asked my mom if she'd go with me so I could hold the dog while she drove. So, we drove to dad's office where a security guard was sitting there with this little dog. She was about 12 pounds, her hair was about an inch long everywhere (except her tail, which was long), and she was brown, tan, black and white. She was so cute. She was standing at the door when I jumped out of the car and I already knew that I loved her. She was pretty thin, from being on the streets I suppose and she was very dirty - but she was still the cutest dog ever in my eyes. I noticed all of this just while walking from the car to the door. I opened the door and she jumped on me. So, I grabbed her, wrapped her in Puff's old blanket and put her on my lap in the car. She was so dirty and so scared. She had maple syrup in her tail and beard, her ears were matted and she smelled horrible. Despite this, she was so cute, not to mention, sweet and timid. She lied on my lap and quickly fell asleep. Then, it occurred to me that she may not have had any sleep, warm shelter or family in a long time. I felt so bad for her - but she was okay now, I have her, I'll take care of her. Before we took Koko (whom we hadn't named yet) home, we wanted to take her to the Vet to make sure she didn't have anything she could give Baxter. We also wanted to check to see if she had a chip. The last thing I wanted to do was take someone's beloved pet away from them. Mom called our Vet and asked if we could bring her in and they jovially agreed. Koko was thought to be a Poodle/Terrier mix, she was in heat, she wasn't hurt or sick, she wasn't emaciated YET, and she didn't have a chip. The Vet said it would be safe to have Koko around Baxter. Since Koko didn't have a chip, I asked the Dr. what to do to notify everyone that we found this lost dog. She said to notify the Humane Society and local Vets and that was all we could do. Mom and I felt very strongly that we should do this because I would be devastated if my dog got out and someone just swiped him up for themselves. Around 12:00 pm we left the Vet's office with a clean bill of health. Next on the agenda was to get Koko groomed - she was so dirty and you could tell she didn't like being so dirty. We called our usual groomer, but they were too busy. So, we called this small shop we always saw by my mom's house. They said that they could take her if we brought her in right away. So, we dropped her off on the way back home. They said that they would call us on our cell phones when she was ready. So, we were going to go home and make some phone calls. When mom and I got home, we called the Humane Society to notify them of the found dog. They stated that no one had reported any dogs missing. They took her information and said they'd call if someone reported the dog missing. We did a little searching and no one had reported the dog missing. So, mom and I planned to give it two weeks. If no one had claimed Koko in two weeks, she was mine. I also decided to have her spayed after those two weeks also. After calling everyone we could think of, we figured we'd put a post out on Craigslist, so we did. Then we figured we better go buy her some stuff - sweaters (since she was so thin), toys, a bed, a blanket of her own, etc. Yes, we spoil our dogs. So, mom and I went shopping. I spent a little bit of money on Koko that day and I had and still have no regrets, I was glad to help a dog in need. Around 2:00, we finally picked Koko up from the groomer. We brought her home and you could tell she felt much better. She was playing with toys, jumping (let me tell you, it's obvious she's part Jack Russell, she can jump straight into the air - a good 2 feet OFF the ground), and cuddling. For the rest of the day, my mom and I played with Koko and tried to think of a name. With her coloring, we determined what we'd name her and then we just spelled it the Hawaiian way. So, yes, we named her before the two weeks were up - I couldn't help it. She's very lovable. Plus she's super playful. She'll play catch, she'll catch her babies in mid-air, and she still jumps up into my arms from the ground while I'm standing. Did I mention that she is fully trained also? She is house trained, she won't bark, she'll never lay her teeth on any portion of your skin and she listens to commands. She was the perfect dog and we couldn't believe we just happened upon this perfect dog. After a few scares (people with similar dogs e-mailed us, but none were a match), no one ever claimed Koko so we took her to the Vet to have a full examination. She was vaccinated and we scheduled her spaying and the injection of a chip. After learning she has Canine Epilepsy, it occurred to me that may be the reason why she was a stray. But, I feel very blessed to have Koko and I love her with every fiber of my being. Anyway, that's the story of Koko...

Koko has Canine Epilepsy. How it started: About a month after we got her, Koko was lying on the couch and having what seemed like a mild seizure. I started freaking out and I quickly swiped her up and took her to the Emergency Animal Hospital. They couldn't find any signs of epilepsy and they couldn't find any signs that she had a full-blown seizure. They weren't too sure what it was. After spending $200 for blood work and an exam, I left not knowing what was wrong with my baby, even though she was completely back to normal by the time we left the hospital. That next day I spent a few hours researching canine epilepsy and I was convinced that's what she had. I took her to my vet and he said that she may have mild epilepsy that will never require medication or anything. He said she may have these mild seizures every now and then. He gave me the list of things to watch for and told me what to do in the case of a seizure. She had a few more seizures, each one progressively worse than the previous. I couldn't stand it anymore, so I scheduled an appointment with the University of Missouri Veterinary School (the best place in Missouri to take a dog). They couldn't find ANYTHING wrong with her either, but said that they were diagnosing it as Canine Epilepsy through process of elimination. They prescribed her .75 mls of Potassium Bromide a day and sent us home. She hasn't had a seizure since and it's been almost a year.

Forums Motto:
Koko Marie Chanel - Fashion Princess

I've Been On Dogster Since:
September 5th 2008 More than 8 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my Pup Pals