Dottie~ Went to Rainbow Bridge

Picture of Dottie~ Went to Rainbow Bridge, a female Dachshund

Photo Comments

Home:Pueblo West, CO  [I have a diary!]  
Age: 11 Years   Sex: Female   Weight: 11-25 lbs

Photo Comments (1)

   Leave a bone for Dottie~ Went to Rainbow Bridge

Dot, Dot-Dot

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Sun Sign:
Quick Bio:
-purebred-pound dog-blind
-dog rescue

August 18th 2004

To be held and loved. She loves to sleep in bed with humans too.

Having the other dogs bark cause she cannot see what they are barking at.

Favorite Toy:
Her new Tuffy Jr's toy ring.

Favorite Food:
We give her Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. She love any dog treats and some human little tid bits.

Favorite Walk:
Just around the neighborhood.

Best Tricks:
Shake-a-paw, High 10 and she can do them still even though she is blind. She has great trust in her daddy when doing the tricks.

Arrival Story:
I went to the Animal Services Center (Humane Society) on August 18, 2008. There was an ad in the paper with her listed. When I saw her she was so beautiful to me. I got to visit in the visiting room with her. Then I asked "what do I do next to adopt her?" The rest is history. She part of a family of 5 doxies now.

Dottie came to our home to live with us on August 18, 2008. She has one blue eye and one brown eye. She is a smoothie dapple. Dottie went blind in January 2010 due to SARDS. We love her so and am learning to guide her around, although she does well.

I've Been On Dogster Since:
August 21st 2008 More than 7 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family
Eleanor Mae (Hannah RoseJasperNoel Joy
Oliver aka

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

Our Dottie went to the Rainbow Bridge on Thursday October 7th just before 3 P.M

Our Dottie went to the Rainbow Bridge on Thursday October- 7th just before 3 P.M

October 20th 2010 7:05 am
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

Dottie entered our lives on the afternoon of August 18,2008. She was so excited to leave the Pueblo Humane Society after being there 10 days. We do not understand why no claimed her if she was labeled a stray. In our hearts we do not believe she was a stray. Oh Dottie craved so much attention and love. She immediately got attached to her Daddy. Daddy loved holding the dogs on their backs so they would learn to trust him. But with Dottie....this was was love....Daddy would rub her chest and tummy. She would gaze off into the distance. She has these beautiful eyes... one of a blue and the other of brown coloring. So happy to belong to a loving family.

She had some adjustments to living with a pack. You see she also came to live with 4 other dachshunds. It was touch and go. Her and Hannah did not hit it off at all. Hannah wanted to be her friend and Dottie did not. This lead us to believe she was an only dog. So we has quite a few fights to break us the two years she lived with us. But you know the fights were only with Hannah Rose and Ellie Mae. Other things we did not like was that she willing would go into a crate. She must of be crated a lot and was so eager to be outside. Another thing we did not like...we believe our dogs belong inside with the family, not locked in a fence yard to be left. So this was another adjustment for her which she learned to love rather quickly.

Then something alarmed us in January 2010. She could not see....!!! I would try to hand her a treat and she would not see it. Touching the top of her nose and then she would take the treat. On January 19, 2010...I made a 2 hour journey to Denver, Colorado. We went to visit the "Animal Eye Specialist". After an intense exam and testing of 2 hours long. It was determined she would never see again. You know I knew in my heart when I was driving to Denver....I knew she would never see again. I done some research on her symptoms the night before. Dottie has SARDS (Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration). The doctor and his staff were so kind and caring. You see there is no treatment for this condition. I gave this news to my son and husband. Wayne just could not believe what had happened to Dottie. We learned to teach her how to get around and hard at first. But you know she adapted so well.

Then on July 22, 2010...she got so weak she could not walk. My local vet said "bring her now" when I called. A very loving and caring staff at "Markway Medical Center" here in Pueblo West. A new doctor had come there just out of vet school. She had only arrived days earlier from Missouri. Her name is Lindsey Riddick....was a sweet person. We are so proud to know her. She loved our Dottie so much. But she knew what was wrong with her. She took such good care of her that day while I was at work. It was determined that she had an Auto Immune Disease....later finding out that this is something SARDS dogs acquire sometimes. Our Dottie was so was treated with predisone. She got better and we were so pleased.

Then on October 5th...I came home and Matt said "Mom...something is wrong with Dottie". I immediately started checking her over. One sign is the inside of the ears are white not pink and the same with the gums. I called the vet..."bring her now". But this time she was walking and seems happy (tail wagging). The blood test told us she was very sick. We started the medication again...but his time was different. Tuesday the 5th she ate well...starting the next morning she would not eat. She declined....but Wayne said "remember it took a few days for the meds to do their job." That evening she got so bad she could not hold her head up or stand. The next morning (Thursday, October 7th) she was holding her head up and willing taking water...the night before we were syringe feeding her water. So I went to Walmart to get her Pedialyte as it is better than water. When I got home...the boys told me threw up again and was the same as last night. I told Wayne to get ready....we are going to the vet.

You see Dottie was Wayne's dog....she chose him. BUT....while he was in the bedroom getting ready things got worse. Matt said " Mom something is wrong!!!" I looked down and could not see her breathing. Quickly I got a stethoscope...but could not hear a heart beat. I asked Matt to listen..."No Mom I cannot hear it either." All of a sudden she gasped for breath.....that was her last breath. I wrapped her up in an old "Florida beach towel". I then had to go tell Wayne.

Our drive to the vet was very quiet with tears. The vet tech Deanna treated me with much kindness and caring. When the lobby was clear Wayne carried her to Exam Room 1. There our tech made a paw print for us to keep. Our Doctor, Lindsey came in a few minutes later. She was crying "I was not ready to say good bye to Dottie today." We talked for a long.......long...time.

We will be picking up Dottie's ashes sometime next week. She will rest in peace in the San Isabel Forest with my brother's dog, Jewel who passed away May 4, 2010 and our Westie, Abby who passed away August 2003.

Dottie we love you and your paws have left a paw prints on our hearts!!!!

10/9/10 RDR

See all diary entries for Dottie~ Went to Rainbow Bridge