Duke-Rainbow Bridge (3/18/10)

Picture of Duke-Rainbow Bridge (3/18/10), a male Boxer

Photo Comments

Home:Rancho Cordova, CA  [I have a diary!]  
Age: 14 Years   Sex: Male

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Duke-Rainbow Bridge (3/18/10)

Dukie, Dooook (said real slow, kind of like a drawl)

June 11th 2001

Arrival Story:
Dukie was the Boxer foster that came and stayed. My human mom does volunteer work with NorCal Boxer Rescue. I was at the dog pound on my last ounce of luck when the last call went out for volunteers to foster me. My mom saw my picture and fell in love with me. She volunteered to foster me. I came to her the weekend of a pool party. I had to stay in my crate for a little bit until I got used to the rest of the family and the house. I gave her a really sad look and she invited me to the party. I was a really good boy and spent most of the time sleeping under the table. I was so happy to have someone that loved me. She kept me for a really long time. When it looked like someone might be interested in adopting me. . . my mom decided that she and my friend Betty (Boxer) didn't want me to leave. They asked me to stay . . . and the rest is history.

A Special Poem for Dukie:
We Have A Secret

We have a secret, you and I that no one else shall know, for who but I can see you lie each night in fire glow?

And who but I can reach my hand before we go to bed and feel the living warmth of you and touch your silken head?

And only I walk woodland paths and see ahead of me, your small form racing with the wind so young again, and free.

And only I can see you swim in every brook I pass and when I call, no one but I can see the bending grass.

Author Unknown


1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you.

I've Been On Dogster Since:
June 5th 2008 More than 7 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family
Betty -
Rainbow Bridge
Sassy (Rainbow

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

Mom Must Really Love Me

Duke Crossed over to the Rainbow Bridge 3/18/2010

March 22nd 2010 10:37 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Sadly - Dukie Boy, Duuuuke, (otherwise known as Super Dog because he magically pulled through every health challenge thrown at him), was not able to overcome his most recent health challenge. He contracted aspiration caused pneumonia which was complicated by an enlarged esophagus which made it difficult for him to swallow food or water. He is immensely missed by his human owner and his dog family who are happy he has crossed the Rainbow Bridge and is running through fields like a puppy.

Rest in peace Dukie Boy! We love you!


Part Two - It's a WONDERFUL LIFE

December 10th 2008 3:21 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

So - - - as I said before, I'm a lucky boy. This is part two of "the rest of the story."

Unfortunately, mom and I weren't done with addressing my health challenges with the removal of my hugemongous tumor. The vet's office said something like it being the size of a small baby. I only weighed about 60#, so it was a pretty large part of me. Mom was pretty excited that I was like a new boy. We thought I was through the dark times after a 3 hour surgery. . . . Nope . . . .

Once I was fixed from the tumor removal - the real reason mom took me to the vet surfaced. All of a sudden I was falling into the hutch and couldn't stand at all. Mom called the vet in tears. I had to be carried to the back yard to do my numbers. I went back in to see my friends at the vet's office. I spent the day there and they gave me lots of different things in my veins. I don't remember a whole lot, because I slept alot. I barely remember going home that night after being carried to and from the car. I was really cold and mom seemed to get up alot that night to check on me. The vet thought it was best if I went home that night because she knew my mom loved me. The next morning I got carried back to the car and was taken back to my friends at the vet. I could hear my mom crying and then she left.

It seemed like forever that day that I felt poopy. But, the vet did something to me and all of a sudden I was up and walking and wanting to go home. My mom can tell the rest of the story.

Duke was a very lucky boy. It seems that some type of whole body inflammation brought on his initial symptoms of dizziness. The tumor was a surprise and not considered to be a part of what caused the dizziness. Our vet tried the wonder drug prednisone on Duke the morning that we thought he wasn't going to make it. All of a sudden, he started walking, and was like he'd never been sick.

Now almost a month and a half later, he is now like a puppy. His stitches have healed. He has new energy and is no longer trying to run, sit, lay-down with a basketball in his tummy. The by-product of the love and attention that he got at the vet's office is that now he will get in the car and lay down, almost going to sleep. Before this all started, he acted like he thought every trip in the car was going to be his last, thanks to whomever dropped him in the night drop at the pound.

He knows he's loved. We think he's very lucky.


Life is really wonderful for me now

December 10th 2008 3:03 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Hey World! Thought it was time that I told you what a lucky boy I am and the special Xmas I'm going to have this year. My luck really turned a year a half ago when I came to my mom as a foster. She calls me that foster that came and stayed, but that's another story.

It was about a month and a half ago that my life really changed. I didn't know it, but I guess I had been sick for a really long time. One morning I was eating my food and kinda' lost my balance. Mom thought to call the vet because she thought maybe I had something going on with my inner ear that caused me to have trouble standing and walking. I went to the vet that afternoon after she got home from work. The vet checked me out and said she couldn't find anything in my ear, but upon examining my tummy thought that she found something that didn't feel right. I went for an xray and had to be really still. The vet came back in to talk to my mom and I could tell by the way they looked at the picture in the dark and then at me, that something was wrong. The vet said something about a huge gray area on the xray and that my organs weren't where they should be. They seemed to be up along my back bone. She said something about my gall bladder being really large and that something could burst. The next thing I knew, mom was gone and I was taken to the back of the office with the other doggies, kitties and some birds. The vet left for a little bit and then came back and gave me a shot. . . . of something really good, because I was asleep for a long time. When I woke up, everyone looked so happy to see me. I had a big line of staples that went from the bottom of my ribs almost to my tail. My mom came back in to see me and had tears in her eyes. They said I almost died. My new friends said that they had never seen a tumor as big as the one that came out of me. They said it was like a basketball. I heard someone say it was 7 pounds. (Tests revealed it was non-malignant.) All I knew is that all of a sudden I could walk, and sit and run and I felt like a puppy again. But being the Boxer boy that I am . . . mom was in for some more challenges with my health within the next week.

See all diary entries for Duke-Rainbow Bridge (3/18/10)