Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Picture of Den-Den, a male Pembroke Welsh Corgi

Photo Comments

Home:New Orleans, a  [I have a diary!]  
Age: 9 Years   Sex: Male   Weight: 26-50 lbs

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Den-Den


Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Sun Sign:
Quick Bio:
-purebred-dog rescue

August 18th 2007

Laying on laps and feet!

Nothing. I'm good. Just don't sniff my butt.

Favorite Toy:
I love hopping after balls or balloons! Anything that bounces or rolls!

Favorite Food:
I enjoy my puppy food, with little treaties inbetween. I don't like tablefood, though, even when it's offered!

Favorite Walk:
I get enough of a walk just by hopping around the house! I'm always too tired when we go outside.

Best Tricks:
My own trick! I run, jump, and kick off of furniture, walls, boxes, anything like a Roman Jumper!

Arrival Story:
Den-Den was born in a puppy mill. =( He was abused, kept in cages, never potty trained, and fed with a water bottle like the kind you find in Bunny Cages!!! =( The lady that was running the puppy mill was old and losing her mind... she owned a big doberman that attacked Den-Den and tore up his face badly. So he has bald spots and scars all over his face, nose, and paws. One of his ears was damaged so it's a "lazy" ear when he doesn't have them perked up. We took poor Den-Den and have been taking care of him ever since!

Forums Motto:
Size DEFINITELY doesn't matter!

I've Been On Dogster Since:
January 5th 2008 More than 9 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family

Meet my Pup Pals

Den-Den's Diary!

Den-Den Update 6/16/08

August 1st 2008 11:32 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Den-Den Update 06/16/08

From Den-Den's Mommy's Journal

Well, Den-Den has been home since Thursday evening. His first day home we thought he was doing well... he was even up and hopping around with his cast. But come Friday morning all he can do is drag himself around. I guess it was the anesthesia they gave him while they did the skin graph procedure.

On Friday the Doctor told us she noticed a smell coming from the wound and that he had a lot more puss than what was expected. Because of this, she decided that we have to go back every day for one week for them to change his bandages and assess his skin graph.

In case you're wondering, a skin graph is used to help grow skin back over a wound that is too severe for stitches. Den-Den most likely will not grow fur back on his foot and, despite the skin graph, his foot will be slightly deformed. Though they said it shouldn't interfere with his ability to walk.

He's eating, drinking, finally going to the bathroom... he's been staying in our bedroom and chewing on things... e_e But all in all, he's still a happy puppy. He's not showing signs of depression at all, which is good. And since I worked at PetsMart and we brought him to Banfield, Den-Den now has his own fan-club that flocks over him when we bring him in for bandage changes! He's definitely living the dream, lol.

We don't know how long the skin graph will take... and I don't think the doctor's know, either. I think they're just checking and checking so they can give us a better estimate. But that's okay. I like taking care of him! Lol. I get to brush out his undercoat, give him greenies...


Attacked by the Thing Under our House!

August 1st 2008 11:31 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Thursday, June 12, 2008

From Den-Den's Mommy's Journal

A few nights ago, Scotty called Gavin and I outside to see an armadillo that had crawled out from under the house and proceeded to dig holes in our front yard, looking for food. We sat there for a few minutes and watched it until it scurried back underneath the house. We didn't think anything of it. Armadillos weren't a big deal, I figured. I mean you have to think, I grew up on a farm out in the middle of Nowhere, Texas! We had raccoons, opossums, armadillos... they're just pests is all!

Over the next few days, we came to the conclusion that the armadillo was planning to stay beneath the house, because every night we could hear the dogs barking... scratching against the paneling and the ground, trying to get underneath the house to go after our newest neighbour. We started asking around about who to call as far as getting the armadillo out of there.

This morning, at six am, Gavin came into the room, dressing for work, and informed me that the neighbours across the street had just returned Baloo. Our huge Great Dane had squeezed himself under the house to go after the armadillo, and found himself in our front yard! Gavin returned him to the backyard and hooked him to his leash until we could figure out a way to block the hole. Den-Den was nowhere to be found.

Gavin, Scotty and I stood on the porch for a few minutes, debating on what to do about the holes leading beneath the house and out from under the porch. When Scotty looked over the fence into the backyard, he found that Den-Den must have been under the house that whole time, because he was laying in the grass in the backyard. We shrugged it off... I crawled back into bed, Scotty finished his cigarette, and Gavin went to work.

After I got up a couple of hours later and Leland and I had eaten breakfast and did a few things around the house, I sat down on the couch next to Scotty to take a breather. While sitting there I thought "Maybe I'll go see Baloo and Den-Den and give them a good talking-to about going under the house!" Seriously. My intention was to literally go out into the backyard and give Baloo a talking-to as though he were a toddler, lol. But when I walked outside, I wasn't greeted. I walked around the back of the house and found Baloo laying in the shade. Where was Den-Den?

I went to walk around to the side of the house to see if he had gone under the house again... when I noticed something moving behind the air conditioner. I only took a few steps forward before I screamed and ran back into the house. I cried for Scotty to come outside and tell me he was seeing what I had seen; half of Den-Den's foot was gone.

Den-Den had been picking fights with the armadillo. I guess he figured his family lives inside of the house and there was a scary creature moving in under it! The armadillo had torn off half of his back right foot (look down at your foot and imagine the whole upper half of it gone... toes and bottom half still there.) Scotty tried to call him out from behind the air conditioner and Den-Den struggled to get up. When he finally did, he wouldn't move any more. His back foot was hanging. We wrapped him up in a towel and drove him to Banfield.

At Banfield, once we got a good look at him, we realized there were a lot more things wrong. Den-Den's bones were exposed, his heel (the soft underpad of his foot) had been torn off on the back, he had open slashes on the outside and inside of both hind legs. The Nurse reviewed with us what they would be doing... sedatives, x-rays, wound cleaning and sutures, and a skin graph for his foot. The Doctor explained that while they were going to try the skin graph... if Den-Den has extensive nerve damage the graph would be pointless and the leg would be useless. We had to leave him there.

We went home and I immediately went into our bedroom and swept the floors and set up a doggy-pallete in the corner by our bed. Den-Den will not be able to walk for a while... and will have weekly doctor's appointments to change his leg dressings. But after calling people and telling them what happened, we are expecting quite the "Welcome Home Den-Den" party. Lol. Everybody wants to visit... and Lauren even suggested baking doggy-cupcakes! Lol.

I'll post updates... as soon as we know more...

Oh, and also... we called Animal Control and despite us telling them our dog was attacked and hospitalized, they say they "do not trap animals" and that we should "find an exterminator".


Den-Den is home now and still very much sedated and sleeping. Gavin says he has a cast on his leg and he has to go back tomorrow for the dressings to be changed because the first night after the surgery is the hardest. =( My poor baby.

See all diary entries for Den-Den