May 13th 2011 5:52 am
[ View A Comments (8) ]
The momma and The Mighty Huntress are out for an afternoon walk. The Mighty Huntress does her business and her and the momma continue walking around the garden.
Suddenly, The Mighty Huntress stops, her ears perk up in attention, a quiver of anticipation rushes through her body. She sniffs again, leans back on her back legs and then pounces. Success!! She pulls her head up and immediately starts shaking the snake in her patented overhead shake.
The momma shrieks and jumps out of the way as The Mighty Huntress releases the snake from her jaws.
Then The Mighty Huntress gets put on her tie out as the momma cleans up the carnage. Daddy comes home during this clean up and all he can say is "I take it the pup was involved!"
May 2nd 2011 7:12 am
[ View A Comments (8) ]
Good morning pups!
Yesterday was a nice day and I was helping the peeps plant some trees. Mom needed to go to the garage and get something and while walking there she started to smell smoke. She looked across the river and saw smoke billowing from the trees over there and a car racing away.
Now two years ago, pups, there was another fire in the exact same place. You would think people would learn that the tall grass is very dry and you shouldn't be starting fires near it.
Sure enough, a few minutes after the car raced away it came back being quickly followed by a few trucks and then the emergency vehicles came to put the fire out. You just don't need excitement like that, pups!
To my Canadian friends. Remember today is the Federal Election so please encourage your humans to get out and vote!
April 29th 2011 5:19 am
[ View A Comments (12) ]
Well pups, I did great at my dental. I had three questionable teeth that everyone was sure would need to be pulled. I had all my teeth cleaned and then the questionable ones were x-rayed, illuminated, and probed. They were found to be intact, with no pulp leaking, so they were "sealed" to prevent further wear. I will have a sore mouth for the next few days, but the vet, mom and I were all happy I didn't need any extractions.
Thanks for all the positive thoughts, they obviously worked!!
April 26th 2011 6:34 am
[ View A Comments (8) ]
Yippee! Mommy's home after spending the Easter weekend with grammy and her brother. I stayed home and helped daddy around the house.
Just before mommy left for grammy's she took me on a very long walk. When we were returning from the walk I went into the ditch and started to dig. And I dug, and I dug and I dug and finally I came up with a nice fat Richardson Ground Squirrel. I was so happy with my treasure and I laid it gently on the road. Just as I laid it on the road mom jerks my collar and tells me to "Leave it". She then starts walking briskly away and I have no choice but to follow, but I keep looking back at my treasure. Then to my horror I see it, pups. A giant hawk comes circling overhead, swoops down and flies off with my treasure. All I could do was look at mom who had the audacity to say, "you snooze you loose". She also said that the critter would have had my daily dose of parasites and worms, and that I didn't need it and I was better off without it!
It is drying up nicely here and I have been going for walks down by the river. Every spring there are the claws of fresh water crabs on the riverbank, and I love feasting on them. Mom took me down there after she got home yesterday and she helped me find a whole bunch of them.
If you could keep your paws crossed for me on Thursday, it would be appreciated. I am having my dental on Thursday and mom is sure I might need at least one tooth removed. I will update you pups as soon as my dental is over and I am home. No need to send me rosettes, but positive thoughts are always welcome!!
April 15th 2011 9:09 am
[ View A Comments (3) ]
Pups, my pal Lobo became very ill a couple days ago and needed to be rushed to the vet. Turns out he had tick paralysis. My mom has heard about tick paralysis but did not know what the symptoms were. Lobo's mom describes his symptoms very well in his diary and luckily, it looks like Lobo will make a full recovery. It is snowing here today, but tick season is just around the corner for our province.
Hope you are feeling much better, Lobo, and thank you to your mom for telling us about the symptoms of this disorder.
April 14th 2011 1:18 pm
[ View A Comments (5) ]
It is finally spring. The ice is off the river and the yard is very mucky. To prove how mucky and muddy it was, mom decided to get her truck stuck in the mud in the yard. She got stuck real good and daddy had to get the tractor going to pull the truck out of the mud.
Serves her right I say as she got stuck after taking me to the vet! I got poked and prodded pups and the momma held me the hold time. Can you imagine! I had a small growth on my one eyelid and the vet said if mom could hold me he would clip it off. Clip it off! Excuse me no pain killers, nothing! Mom!! What does she do -- she holds me as the vet clips off the small growth. I got weighed and tip the old Toledo's at 74 pounds and to think mom thought I was fat. The vet said I was just right.
I got my vaccines, which I hated, and could someone tell me why I needed my temperature taken for a check up? The vet also said I need to be on the leash for at least another 6 months to ensure my leg heals properly. I did not like hearing that at all. To top this all off, I have a "suspect" tooth and will be having a cleaning and possible extraction after Easter. I so do not like the sounds of that!!
Let's see I used my karma to get mom stuck in the yard after that horrible vet visit, wonder how I can use my karma on mom after my dental procedure.
March 18th 2011 7:42 am
[ View A Comments (4) ]
Oh my dogness pups! I am overwhelmed with all you pups that helped me celebrate my 10th gotcha day yesterday. Thank you pups so much for the rosettes and pawmails. This has been my bestest gotcha day every. Hugs to all!!
March 10th 2011 8:09 am
[ View A Comments (7) ]
I woke the momma at 3:30 a.m. this morning because I needed to go outside. Mom was a little grumpy getting up at that time, but she donned her jacket, got on the winter boots, snapped my leash on me, and took me out.
She is glad I woke her because the Northern Lights were absolutely spectacular! She just stood there and watched as the colors changed and they danced through the night sky.
Maybe I will wake her up at 3:30 a.m. again tomorrow!
March 9th 2011 5:59 am
[ View A Comments (8) ]
Hope everyone is doing great. I have had a few pawmails wondering how I am because I haven't barked lately. Don't worry pups, I am fine.
I have been limping off and on, but now I am doing better. A few weeks ago, I was left off leash when I was down by the river and I ran up the hill (it is a very steep hill) and I was jumping through lots of heavy snow drifts. After that I started limping. I am walking much better and putting more weight on my leg when standing, but I am will be on leash with no more off leash excursions for a while.
Mom and I make quite a pair because she is limping right now too. She was shovelling snow on Monday and slipped on some ice. She didn't fall, but her foot bent funny and she now has a lump on the bottom of her foot that is making walking difficult. Don't worry about her either pups, the swelling is coming down and she is walking somewhat better today.
Yesterday she decided to elevate her foot and I laid beside her to keep her company. She was working on the outgoing taxes. No, that's not what she called it. Oh yes, she was working on the Income Taxes. Good thing we have till end of April to file, because the longer she worked on them, the more foul her mood got!
Today mom and I will take the recycling into town and the garbage to the dump. I am hoping to bark at various critters along the way.
Oh, and I am bartender of the day in the STAFU group and the drink special is the Abbylicious!
Have a great day everypup!
February 14th 2011 6:47 am
[ View A Comments (11) ]
Ode to Abby
Abbykins, how do I love thee?? Let me count the ways ...
1. I love thee agreeably - enough to put up with the aroma your fur gives off after swimming in the river, or being out in the rain, or rolling in something foul that you have come across while on our walk.
2. I love thee steadfastly - enough to have researched the surgical procedures needed to fix your leg and take along three pages of questions when we saw the specialist. To rub your sore leg when it is bothering and to hold your dish with your pills in it every morning to ensure you get your meds.
3. I love thee passionately - enough to let you lick me with the same tongue you use for various other atrocities.
4. I love thee well - despite the amazing odors you produce.
5. I love thee deeply - even though you use me as a napkin at every opportunity and I have drool marks on most of my clothes. You have literally spread dirt, fur, water and drool through every room in the house -- but you have spread a lot of sunshine and love along with it.
6. I love thee madly - despite the occasional carpet clean up needed after you devour some morsel you find outside only to discover it disagrees with you hours later.
7. I love thee constantly - despite the dog 3:00 a.m. "bladder curfew" I must now adhere to.
8. I love thee truly - despite the doggie landmines I find outside, or your desire to dig in the garden, flowerbeds etc., or desire to bring home every piece of carrion you find.
9. I love thee absolutely - because you are always ready to be my sidekick when we go for a drive, are always ecstatic to see me and you light up my day
10. I love thee gratefully - because you stay by my side and you are my confidant.
11. I love thee devotedly - more than spotless carpeting, clothing, furniture, floors, walls or vehicles.
12. I love thee bravely - enough to battle the indomitable tick. clean your fur after you roll in some digusting thing and tackle the occasional klingon on your behalf.
13. I love thee monetarily - enough to put the vet's children through college and support whatever leisure activities he may have.
14. I love thee openly - yes, I will bear any embarrassment for your furry sake.
15. I love thee totally - more than free time, excess cash or a predictable life.