Picture of Coco, a female Beagle

Photo Comments

Home:Alabang, Philippines  [I have a diary!]  
Age: 17 Years   Sex: Female   Weight: 11-25 lbs

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Coco

Bunso, Baby-Girl, Moochie

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Sun Sign:
Quick Bio:

October 11th 1999

Snuggling. Taking long walks. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and merienda! And roasted chestnuts!!!

The smell of cigarettes and smoke! Thunder and lightning. And hates Pucci jumping over me, just because she has longer legs or Chloe pestering me!

Favorite Toy:
Ball with a bell inside it. Another ball with a mini-elephant sewn onto it. And a rope toy for tug-o-war.

Favorite Food:
Roasted chestnuts! (peeled for her, of course!)

Favorite Walk:
All over our neighborhood in Alabang and beyond...

Best Tricks:
"I dance for snacks!" We also communicate by hand signals.

Arrival Story:
It was destiny. She was the runt of the litter and the only remaining unbought pup. I just wanted to look at a breeder's beagle puppies, with no intention or money to buy one, although I fell in love with her the moment I saw her. Then when I got home, I found my colleague had just dropped off my fee for a job I had done. And it was the exact amount I needed to "ransom" the runt! I quickly ran over to her breeder, forked over the entire amount, and took her home! The rest is a love story that continues to this day...

Coco is a perpetual puppy and an eternal virgin. She never grew in physical size. Although turning 5 years old, she has still the face and size of a 6-8 month old beagle puppy! And because she is tiny, the vet discourages her getting pregnant because the chances of a Caesarean birth are almost 100%.

Forums Motto:
Born to love and be loved

The Groups I'm In:
Philippine Beagles

The Last Forum I Posted In:
Prayer Chain

I've Been On Dogster Since:
August 9th 2004 More than 12 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

Coco Channel

Bite Me! (Part 2)

January 11th 2007 3:46 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

It was just like any other ordinary Sunday afternoon. We -- my Mommy and I, and beside us Chloe and her walker , Virgie -- were about to cross the main street to go to the park. A dogwalker with a big black Rottie had just crossed the street where we were on, in front of us. Chloe and I barked our hullooos, but the Rottie didn't yap anything. It just kept turning its head looking at us. They were about 30 meters away from us and we were just about to cross the main road, when suddenly ... without a sound of warning, like a devil-hound out of hell ... the Rottie snapped his chain-link leash and ran straight for... ohmigarsh!... for ME!!! Before my Mommy and I could get away, it clamped its huge mouth on my face! Oh how I cried and yelped!!! I felt my face being stretched almost to the tearing point. I could here my Mommy screaming at it and its dogwalker. All the while that she was screaming and shouting for help, Chloe (who was being held tightly by her dogwalker) was barking angrily, eager to defend me ... and my Mommy beside me kept hitting the Rottweiler on the nose and eyes with her end of my retractable leash. Hitting and hitting again and again with all her might... it felt like hours, hours of pain and torture, but it happened in mere minutes... until she beat the Rottie into releasing me. Its dogwalker, shocked and unmanned, grabbed his monster and my Mommy, tired and weeping, wrapped her arms around me. Cars had stopped at the sight of the fight, one of whom was my Mommy's brother and his wife. A security guard soon came along and took over. Mommy sent Chloe and Virgie back home and we got into the car.

To make a long, traumatic story short, Mommy rushed me to the emergency room where I was treated for my wounds. The vet had to sew up the corner of my eye and a gash on my left flew (that's the flappy part of a dog's snout that hangs over the mouth) and treat the wounds on my neck and head with stingy medicine. Other than the shock and pain of the trauma, my wounds were minor. I guess that rotten Rottie had no real intention to kill me. Maybe it found me too cute for words and just wanted to take me as its stuffed toy! Well, I don't really care whatever its reason was for "mugging" me. I just pray it never ever happens to me again!

In the meantime, the village security had gone to the Rottweiler's owners and they filed a police report against them. Before we went home, my Mommy confronted the owner who was profusely apologetic and offered to pay for all the expenses. Since the damage on me was minimal, my Mommy decided not to charge them. She did, however, made sure that monster's shots were all up-to-date and got them to agree to muzzle their dog from now on, should they let it out walking in public again. But what my poor Mommy didn't realize until after the next day was that she too got physically hurt by the experience.

When the adrenaline that pumped up her system and helped her to beat at the Rottweiler with minutes continuously sustained pounding wore off (plus her loudest-I've-ever-heard screams), it was then that she felt the pain all along the length of her arms, all the way up her shoulders and neck muscles. It took a week of pain medication, several weeks of discomfort and a couple of sessions with a "hilot" before she was completely fine. But if I could, I'd tear that rotten Rottie to shreds for the pain and trauma she caused my Mommy and me.

Last we heard was a report from another dogwalker who says he saw that Rottie escape again from her leash and got run over by a van and died. I hate to sound vindictive but I'm glad she's no longer around to bite innocent doggies like me.


Bite Me! (Part 1)

January 10th 2007 11:21 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

I hope I'll have a made-in-doggie-heaven 2007... because my 2006 was not too great for me in many ways.

2006 was coming alone fine until one day in February, my Mommy came home with my new little sister, Chloe. A cute but very hyper Jack Russell Terrier. Little did I foresee how this yappy upstart would wreak havoc on my peaceful and comfortable existence as the prime Princess of the household, the Doggie Diva of the family. But this pint-sized pup packed a pretty powerful punch -- she wanted to dethrone me! She wanted to usurp the position I've held for more than 6 years and be the number-1 dog!!! How dare she!!!

I tried my best to put up a fight ... several times in fact! ... but terriers are known to be unstoppable and unholy terrors, and beagles like myself are simply too sweet and gentle-natured to sustain a full-blast battle. She'd bite my legs to stop me from climbing up the armchair to nestle with our Mommy... She clamped onto my soft fluffy ear with her sharp teeth and left a gash... She bit me on my nose and even cut me on the neck! What an awful brat!!! Of course I was only too glad when Mommy would scold her and banish her to her cage for hurting li'l ol' me but that was all she could do. She said she has to leave it up to Chloe and me to thresh out our "ranking" -- that's Nature's way, she said. But Chloe's nips are never really meant to cause serious harm! Jacks are a naturally feisty mouth-y breed, so different in temperament from us peace-loving Beagles. So I've given up fighting and I've conceded. Well, sort-of. I let her strut around thinking she's now the number-1 dog, even though she's the smallest and the youngest. But I'm still the only one allowed to sleep beside my Mommy and she still calls me her Princess. My one greatest satisfaction is ... she can never dethrone Mommy as the Alpha in our pack!

The worst bite I had to endure did not come from Chloe at all! It was from a neighbor's Rottweiler!!! That was a terrible and very scary experience! That's in my next blog...

But there's good news as well for me in 2oo6. Remember the debilitating ehrlichia disease I got from tick bites that affected my liver. Well after almost a year of treatment, I've beaten the disease! My Mommy and I were jumping up and down for joy and thanksgiving when the Vet gave me an all-clear diagnosis just before my birthday! :-)


Ticked off!

May 20th 2006 7:11 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

I thought it was just the intense heat and humidity we've been having this summer. The reason why I wasn't feeling my usual active and perky self. And why I get so easily tired and I'd be panting after walking just a few blocks. Knowing how much I love to take long walks and having always showed great stamina and energy, my poorly condition got my Mommy worried. So she consulted our vet. Ugh, I hate it when the doctor stabs me with a needle. This time they did more than that — they X-rayed me and drew lots of blood! And they made my Mom give me lots of medicines! I hate taking medicine!

I felt a little better but still kinda depressed and enervated. So, a week or so later, my Mom took me to another vet in another city. This was a much bigger vet place. She says it's the Makati Dog & Cat Hospital — very well respected and highly regarded by even the other vets in the country as the foremost place to go for pet health. And the head vet himself attended to me. There I got stabbed again with a needle and the vet took more blood! What's this obsession with my blood??? The results showed that I had contracted ehrlichia, a blood disease caused by tick bites! Often misdiagnosed and usually fatal if treated too late. I could see my Mommy was scared and worried for me but she gave me a big hug and told me that we were going to beat this thing. Our mantra became "We're gonna lick ya, ehrlichia!"

I had to take loads of medicines every meal time for weeks, the most critical of which was the antibiotic Doxycycline. Ugh, what an ordeal!!! Not only that — the vet said I was overweight and had my Mom put me on a diet! DIET??? Moi? Mommy even went to prayer sites asking for prayers for me (and for Pucci, too, who was silly enough to chew on yekky toads!). She was so touched when emails poured in offering support, reassurances and prayers from pet-lovers from all corners of the world! I was thrilled too!

A month has passed and my recent blood tests have shown that I'm making a remarkable recovery. I am past the critical danger zone and on my way back to my old healthy and energetic self. My kidneys and liver are clear now. My platelet and white blood cell counts are starting to normalize. I can walk a little farther now without panting or feeling tired. In fact, I can even keep pace with Chloe and chase after her if I have to. I haven't lost any kilos yet but I have lost centimeters from my waist and my tummy doesn't sag as much as it used to. I feel pretty good, all in all. In fact, it feels really good to be loved and cared for by Mommy. I'm so blessed to be her dogter. Woof-woof-wooooofeeee!

See all diary entries for Coco