Close X


Quincy's Doodles

No treatment this week!

December 10th 2009 11:46 am
[ View A Comments (3) ]

I'm back from seeing Dr. Shaw today and didn't get the scheduled Adriamycin drug because my white blood cell count was too low. He says this is normal due to the chemo drugs, but I'm still in complete remission. I'll be taking Ciprofloxacin tablets daily, which is an antibiotic to prevent an infection while my white blood cell count is low and then I'll go again next Thursday for a recheck and then get Adriamycin if everything is adequate.

Let me back up and tell you what happened earlier this week. Monday night, after Mom and I came back from our evening romp, I was resting and she noticed that I appeard to be heaving with my mouth closed! My abdomen area was moving on its own! I was a bit restless but I had dinner before our walk and drank water as well. My poop looked normal. The condition of my poop seems to be a daily discussion between my parents!

Dad came home shortly after and gave me a couple of Metoclopramide tablets for nausea, because I threw up just a little bit of liquid. He also went back and read my paperwork where it said side effects from chemo could show up in as much as a week after treatment. I was still a little restless but when Mom gave me some cooked chicken I ate it and drank some water. She just wanted to see if I had a desire to eat.

I think Mom wanted to take me to Emergency but Dad said to just give me some time to settle down, and he went to bed. I did settle down after awhile so Mom went to bed too.

Tuesday morning, I ate and went on my walk with Dad before he went to work. When Mom got up to get ready to go to work, she looked at me and I was doing that heaving thing again! You know how Moms are, they can worry about all kinds of stuff, so she called the specialist place and asked to talk to Dr. Shaw or a nurse.

Dr. Shaw was not working Tuesday, but a nurse got on the phone and Mom told her about my symptoms. At first, the nurse said that giving me the Metoclopromide tablets was the right thing to do, but Mom pushed a little more because she just didn't think this was normal and was concerned about what might be going on internally and wanted some peace of mind before my next treatment. So, the nurse said to bring me in and I could see Dr. Kiselow.

Both the technician who checked me in and Dr. Kiselow saw my abnormal body movement while I was there. I got examined and Dr. Kiselow felt that I must not be in pain because of how hard he squeezed me and that everything felt normal to him. He didn't think it was related to the lymphoma. However, he said they could do a complete blood work-up, xrays, and ultrasound but he didn't think it was necessary.

Mom blinked her eyes a few times while thinking and decided she wanted me to get the blood work-up, xrays, and ultrasound, so I had to stay there, and she went to work to pick up stuff she needed so she could work from home the rest of the day. She ran into a couple in the parking lot on her way out that she met a few weeks ago, and they even remembered my name and asked how I was! Their dog also has lymphoma but is getting a slightly different method of treatment.

I was ready to go home around 4:00pm and Mom was there early even though they hadn't called her to say I was ready to be picked up. She got to see Dr. Kiselow again and by then my bloodwork results were already back from the lab electronically. I had a few abnormal numbers but nothing to worry about.

The good news is that my xrays and ultrasound confirmed that the small nodules that were seen around my abdomen when I was first diagnosed were gone, and everything looked normal. Even though it was no surprise to them, it was still good to hear.

Mom was very relieved and even though I may not have needed the extra tests this week, it was worth having a peace of mind. Afterall, I do have cancer, and I get some really powerful drugs.

There's no reason why I can't continue my normal routine, so I am OK!

We were looking in the Dogster forums last night and did a search on the word "lymphoma". We were embarassed to find out that my pal MURPHY had created a thread in the forums on my behalf a couple of months ago here:

Plus Power of the Paw thread

We had no idea, but want to thank Murphy! I'm not expecting any of my pals who read my diary to go and post there, as you do enough already, but I just wanted to acknowledge it.

I also made a new pal this week after we saw a post his kitty brother made in the Catster forums that her dog sister MADDIE was diagnosed with lymphoma just after Thanksgiving and was going to get treatment, so I took the initiative to send her a pawmail. I just heard back from her last night and I don't know yet if she'll be writing about it in her diary, but I'm glad we are pals now!

Thanks again for your friendship and for your patience in reading this long diary entry!


Barked by: Wendy G

December 10th 2009 at 3:48 pm

It r our pweasure tu wead yur diawy, Quincy!! Momma an' me, Zaidie, jus' went ober tu say,"Hello!!" tu Maddie. Hur r bery sweet an' we hope hur r gonna be OK... An' yu, tu, Quincy, da wild man!!
Barked by: Riley (Dogster Member)

December 11th 2009 at 2:51 pm

Hey Quincy,

Just like Zaidie, we enjoy reading about how you are doing. We're glad to hear that the events from earlier in the week weren't anything serious.

I have to say, you sure are looking good. I love you haircut.

Have a great weekend.
Barked by: Eddie (Dogster Member)

December 13th 2009 at 11:00 am

Hi Quincy! Gald to hear your abdominal movements were nothing to worry about! Mom would have done the same thing and gotten all the tests too. You cant be too careful with your bestest buddy! :) Have a great week buddy!
Eddie & Sonny Buns




Family Pets

The Furbies


(What does RSS do?)