Lily CGC, passed away 11/24/11

Boston Terrier
Picture of Lily CGC, passed away 11/24/11, a female Boston Terrier

Photo Comments

Home:Lansing, a  [I have a diary!]  
Sex: Female   Weight: 11-25 lbs

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments (1)

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Lily CGC, passed away 11/24/11

Lilipup, Lily Ann, Wiggy, Squiggles, Pupperdoo, Liller

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Sun Sign:
Quick Bio:
-purebred-deaf -dog rescue

Gotcha Date:
December 10th 2005

August 25th 2005

Toys, people food, drinking from the bathtub faucet, chewing on pens

When her people are too busy to play, or they decide to "take a stand" and not give her people food, or don't get to the bathroom quick enough to turn on the faucet, or pens are taken away from her. And people who aren't instantly enamoured with her...

Favorite Toy:
Tug-tug, her Giant Tennis ball, Lamby, Monsta, pretty much anything she can throw on our laps or feet and use to convince us to play with her instead of getting ready for work.

Favorite Food:
Whatever the nearest living thing is currently eating or drinking.

Favorite Walk:

Best Tricks:
Sit, Hugs and Bring me a toy. She is also learning to do weight pull, but we're taking that one slow.

Arrival Story:
Lily was rescued from a puppy mill when she was very young. She was slated to be killed as she was born deaf. We went to the local pet store which hosts a rescue event most weekends. The Saturday we went and the Midwest Boston Terrier Rescue Society had set up their table was one of the most important days in our lives; we met Lilly. She outshone every dog there and played with me. When my husband asked if he could hold her she curled up against his chest and fell asleep. She was just the tiniest little thing! After much discussion we decided we had to have this dog in our family and give her the best possible life she could have. We adopted her on December 10th of 2005 and opted to drop the second "l," and thus we became the doting puppy parents of Lily.

Lily was diagnosed with juvenile cataracts in November, 2006. We worked with an opthamologist who determined that she also has degenerating retinas, probably causing the cataracts in the first place. Her vision declined until she was nearly blind and completely miserable. We decided to give her the surgery even though the tests had shown poor retina functioning to give her any hope we could. To our happy surprise, after the surgery when the vets could actually see her retinas they showed none of the degeneration that the tests had indicated. Months of confinement and eye drops followed. The first week was especially rough with my husband and I taking turns sleeping on the kitchen floor with her to keep her calm through the night. She had a slight problem with glaucoma in one eye, but the awesome veterinarians at the MSU Small Animal Clinic Opthamology Department helped get her over that and her eyes healed wonderfully to the point where her vision seems to be unaffected by any malady. About a year after her cataract surgery she became ill and had to be rushed to the vet. The tests showed declined kidney functioning, and subsequent tests have confirmed chronic kidney disease. We are working with the wonderful doctors at MSU Small Animal Clinic in the Internal Medicine Department to control her symptoms and slow the progress of her illness. (Our dog is a full-fledged Spartan.) Despite all this, she is a happy dog and doesn't seem to know that anything is wrong with her. She is the most playful pup, and the goofiest. She likes to lie on her back and wriggle from side to side and also sit up on her butt and spin in circles while trying to lick her nose. I've said she is a good dog; but I've never said she is a sane one.

Forums Motto:
Forever in our hearts

The Last Forum I Posted In:
BLEEP! ( a rant about stupid people doing stupid things t

Favorite Game:
Stick! I love playing stick! Basically, my Mom or Dad run around holding a stick and I try to grab it. I have been know to jump chin-height in the quest for Stick.

Falling Objects

Current Top Weight Pulled:
Two pounds. (hey, don't laugh! I'm just starting. :) )

I've Been On Dogster Since:
March 22nd 2007 More than 9 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

The Best Little Girl in the Whole World

Hello Dogster and Lily's Retraining Commences

April 24th 2011 7:15 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Lily has been absent from Dogster for a long time. Her pawther is finishing up law school and I'm going back to school. Needless to say, Lily and Bruno, while still loved, have not been getting as much attention as before. At this current point, Lily has completely healed from her lens replacement surgery and is no longer on medication for her eyes. She was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, but with prescription diet and medication we're managing that fairly well. She went for a recheck in January and had pretty good results. She'll be going back in July to Internal Medicine at MSU for a recheck to see how quickly the disease is progressing. She doesn't seem to have any symptoms except for wanting to drink a lot of water, and I hope to keep it that way for as long as possible.

I've been finding myself nostalgic for our time in Benton Harbor, when we could take the dogs to the beach and go to Fuzzy Butz pet bakery and the Kiwanis Dog Park, where a very nice lady named Vicki used to host free obedience classes on Fridays in the summer. Since we moved to Lansing Lily has had very little socialization or training. This became extremely evident when my husband and I took her and Bruno to the dog park on Abbott on Saturday. Lily wanted nothing to do with other dogs, and while she would follow me around she wouldn't listen to any commands. When she picked a fight with the nicest, shiest Cavalier King Charles Spaniel I knew that she was not ready to be reintroduced to other dogs in a dog park setting. (Bruno, on the other hand, made a bunch of friends and had a great time.)

At first I was very frustrated with her, but then I realized the monumental task I had set before our dog. I had asked her to tolerate a bunch of strange dogs in an unfamiliar setting without any firm grasp of what I wanted from her. So it was my fault.

Right now I'm looking into enrolling Lily in an obedience class. I contacted the trainer of one who sounded promising. I don't want to go into a class with a trainer who is unwilling to work with a deaf dog. Experience isn't completely necessary, Dog knows I didn't have any when we adopted Lily. I'll miss the "free" aspect of her previous class, but I'm willing to invest money in having a dog I can trust, and who trusts me.

Until I get the class thing worked out I'm going to try to do some work at home with both dogs. I worked with Lily today, where I went over some basic commands she knew plus one I've been trying to teach her forever (drop it) at home. Then I took her for a long walk and did different things we used to do in the class at Benton Harbor. I had her heel and walked and ran at various speeds, had her sit when we stopped, had her stay for short periods, had her come to me from short distances, etc. At first she was a little devil, but I was amazed at how her previous training seemed to come back to her as we kept working. I think I'm going to try alternating so that I work with Bruno tomorrow, then Lily, then Bruno, etc. I might change it so I work in the home with one and then take the other for the training walk in the evening. I figure I'll still try to take both dogs for a walk in the morning together, but not do all the stuff. Maintaining a heel position will be ideal. ;)

I worry sometimes that if something were to happen to me and my husband no one would want our dogs. I want to be able to take them places without any anxiety about them getting into trouble. And if I want all this I need to work for it. And I think the dogs will be happier for it, too.


My fifth birthday

August 26th 2010 8:26 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

My fifth birthday started out kind of lame. For some reason Mom had been telling herself my birthday was August 26th, when my vet records and everything else says the 25th. Silly Mom. So I stared at her while she did all kinds of other stuff- work on her computer, play video games, clean, and none of it involved me no matter how many toys I brought her. Then she got an email from Dogster wishing me a happy birthday! She was shocked a) because she'd forgotten the date and b) because of aforementioned thought it was the 26th. So she felt like a monster when she realized how wrong she was. Then it got to be my birthday! :)

Mom sent Paw a message that it was my birthday. Then we played a lot of tug. She made a batch of peanut butter and oatmeal cookies and stuffed a silicone cupcake cup with some of the dough that was mixed with BilJac treats. Next she found the traditional birthday hat and collar for me. When Paw got home after dinner we took the birthday walk- where I wear my birthday gear for all the world to see. :) After that he had to go to class, but Mom took the time to frost my birthday cake with cream cheese mixed with canned food, plus a dusting of crushed Milkbone. When Paw got home they sang "Happy Birthday" to me and Paw helped me blow out the candles. I had to split my cake with Bruno, but I got the bigger piece because I was the birthday girl. :)

I got to sleep on the big bed with Mom and Paw instead of in my crate (though I woke up a few times and barked, which woke them up). Today my pawrents are taking me to Petco to pick out a birthday gift. It'll be something awesome because they still feel guilty about almost forgetting. So thank you Dogster, for reminding my pawrents about my birthday so it could be nearly as special as me. :)


April 5, 2010

April 6th 2010 4:22 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

On Friday Mom and Paw took me and Bruno to the dog park again. We had so much fun! I even relaxed a bit and played with a small dog named Whiskey. I'm usually velcroed to one of my pawrents legs, but I'm beginning to understand that the park is supposed to be fun! :) Bruno always plays with a bunch of dogs and has a lot of fun, so I guess I can too.

He didn't have fun the next day, though. His luxating patella bothers him sometimes and after all the park running he was limping pretty bad. Mom gave him some beefy dog aspirins before bed but apparently it didn't agree with his tummy. We woke up to seven piles of puke the next day. He was fine after a while, but Mom still felt bad about trying to help him feel better. We need to get to the vet this month so Mom's going to ask about medicines that'll help him on bad days but not upset his tummy.

On Sunday we all went to Mom's aunt's house in Spring Lake for Easter. She had tied ribbons on my and Bruno's collars for festiveness. When we got there I greeted everyone very enthusiastically. I loved playing with her cousin Kelsey, and Bruno and I even got to have a teeny tiny bit of ham. All in all, it was a good day.

See all diary entries for Lily CGC, passed away 11/24/11