Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Picture of Widget, a male Pembroke Welsh Corgi

Photo Comments

Home:TX  [I have a diary!]  
Sex: Male   Weight: 26-50 lbs

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Widget

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Quick Bio:
-purebred-dog rescue

January 17th 2005

Chasing, barking, and lots of hugs

Having to go outside. He's a happy indoor dog.

Favorite Toy:
Chasing the laser to getting any toy that Gizmo has.

Favorite Food:
Not picky nor a begger

Favorite Walk:
Doesn't really like walks, did I mention he likes it inside... always.

Best Tricks:
Untying any knot.

Arrival Story:
Widgi passed away in August. he was a wonderful little guy to have around and we miss him very much. Thank you to everyone who sent us messages and sympathies. A local breeder found out through our vet that we had a pair of Corgis and they wanted to know if we would like another one. We weren't actually set to get one more dog, but the breeder said that they were going to "get rid of him" if someone didn't take him. Looking into those soulful brown eyes, we couldn't resist and he had to come home with us. He was not only our pet and companion, but the pet and companion to our other two Corgi's, and he got them into trouble as often as possible.

His full name was Black Galahad Begor Chi but we just called him Widget for short. He was definitely the baby of the three dogs we have and he used that to his advantage. With a puppy face, Widget got by with things the other dogs could never get by with.

Forums Motto:
Gotta love me, cuz I'm the baby!

The Groups I'm In:
Rainbow Bridge Angel Babies

I've Been On Dogster Since:
June 25th 2006 More than 10 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

I have epilepsy.

August 18, 2008 - Final Entry

August 18th 2008 8:07 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

As Widget’s caretaker and Dad, it is with great sadness and tears that I place his final entry…

Two nights ago, little Widget fell into a series of cluster seizures around 3am. For those who have kept up with his diary, he was not prone to having cluster seizures. I rushed him to the hospital immediately where he was treated. He spent the day under close supervision and appeared to be recovering like normal. Unfortunately, while still at the hospital, his condition took a turn for the worse as he began having several more attacks throughout the night with each one lasting steadily longer than the one before it. Still hopeful for an evening release, the matters only worsened through the day with seizure coming almost every hour and little response to any medications. Around 9pm this evening, our beloved Widget passed away.

Widget came into our lives just over three years ago and blesses us with his love, energy, and indomitable spirit. I will always cherish his mouse-eared smile, the way he waddled when he walked, his enthusiasm for play, and the way he insisted on staying no further than five feet from me where ever I did go. His favorite hiding place beneath the china hutch is now empty. He will be missed by myself, his Mother, and his friends Sable and Gizmo.

To those who knew and followed his entries here, I leave this diary in the spirit for which it was originally written, as a beacon of hope to those who suffer from epilepsy and other seizure inflicting ailments. Life is good and worth living to the fullest. Don’t ever let anything hinder your dreams.

Like a small candle, his life may have been brief but he shined most brightly. Goodbye, Widget, we will love you always.


July 29, 2008 - Becoming More Frequent

July 29th 2008 7:25 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

The attack I had last month turned out to be just the one morning. I was hoping I would be good for the rest of the summer much like last year. Unfortunately, I had another pair this morning. As usual, Gizmo got a hold of my front paw and put some holes in it. These always seem to strike just as we start to put our guard down. I don’t like sleeping in the pen every evening. I prefer to sleep under Dad’s bed with Gizmo but it’s looking like that may have to stop permanently.

The leg bite may not be as bad as some as I’m up and moving around a little quicker than usual. The scary part is that I had one attack at 4am and a second at 6am. Two in a row like that usually means that it will be a rough week. I’m not sure what triggered it this time but Dad and me went for a long walk through the neighborhood yesterday and walked by some houses that we had never gone be before. I strongly think that my issue this time may have come from one of those lawns. May have to go without long walks for awhile. But with my leg in poor shape for now, that may go without saying.

As always, I hope for the best as I try to keep track of this problem. Hoping this session passes soon and without any further complications. I’ve learned to deal with the seizures and ten to pop right back to normal after them now days. It’s having to deal with Gizmo attacking me when they occur that is now the bigger issue. He actually can tell when I’m about to have an attack before they actually come on. He can smell a strong odor on my breath that tips him off just before the seizure sets in. This makes it difficult to stop him in time. He’s not fooled by sudden motions or me twitching to a dream in my sleep, it’s the smell that drives him crazy. When I don’t smell right, I think he forgets that it’s still me.

Dad knows we should give him to a loving family just to keep me safe. But, he is my best friend and I cry when he’s away. We sleep together and play together every day. It’s only when I’m sick that there’s a problem and he doesn’t do it on purpose, it’s just instinct for him and that makes it hard to teach him not to do it as well. It’s difficult to even find someone who could take him for just a week while I get over each session. Gizmo is a very friendly and loving dog, but everyone has such busy lives these days. I know of dogs who are perfectly healthy and still have it much worse than me being stuck outside in the heat and rain with only very tiny pens to move around in. Or worse yet, those poor ones we see tethered to a tree to pole. That hurts to see.


June 23, 2008 - A Summer Attack

June 23rd 2008 7:25 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

I've never had a seizure before during the summer. At least, not one I can remember. But I had a couple of them this morning. At 6am, I awoke and Gizmo was pulling me out from under Dad’s bed by my front paw. He twisted it pretty good but no bleeding. It’s going to be sore all week now. Dad jumped on him and pulled him off of me. After everything settled down a bit, I went into another one. It’s rare that I have any attacks while still awake.

And I was such a good boy all weekend. I hardly went out of the house and I didn’t get into anything that I was supposed to. I don’t know what brought this on. Dad thinks that it may not have been a seizure that caused Gizmo to attack. Instead, it may have been a “running” dream I was having this morning that made Gizmo think I was having an attack. The subsequent actual seizure would then have been a caused by the stress. If true, it would be even scarier to think that Gizmo might mistake my leg twitching from a dream for an actual seizure. That would present a whole new set of problems.

I don’t know anything about all that. I can hardly remember any of my dreams right after I wake up. Just the same, Dad is watching over me today and gave me a little something to make the pain in my leg go away for a bit. I’m resting now safe in my favorite soft crate hoping the rest of summer doesn’t end up the way this first week has started.

See all diary entries for Widget