*In Loving Memory* Vince

Labrador Retriever
Picture of *In Loving Memory* Vince, a male Labrador Retriever

Photo Comments

Home:Waverly, OH  [I have a diary!]  
Sex: Male   Weight: 51-100 lbs

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for *In Loving Memory* Vince

Vincey-Poo, Momma's Boy, LovieDovie

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Quick Bio:
-purebred-pound dog-dog rescue

January 20th 2005

Momma, getting treats, playing with the cats outside, FOOD

Not being able to go outside on rainy days

Favorite Toy:
Anything he can get his mouth on

Favorite Food:
PB&J sandwiches..taken right out of the kid's hands

Favorite Walk:

Best Tricks:
Sit, shake, roll over, putting toys in a basket before bedtime

Arrival Story:
We moved from apartments to a house and decided it was time to get the kids a puppy. I looked on petfinder and found a litter of Chocolate Labs at the pound. All the puppies were hopping around the cage and barking. Vince was the puppy sitting in the back looking me straight in the eye. I knew he was the one for me. He was 10 weeks old. We had a hard time agreeing on a name for Vince but since we got him on Daddy's birthday we let him name him. Daddy named him Vincent Lacey. (Lacey is daddy's middle name also. HeeHee!) Vince had Hereditary Mange. I was taking him to the vet once a month for medication. Even though he was a stinky fella no matter how many baths he had... we loved him dearly.

Vince was a very loving boy. He never left my side for a minute... until the day he got away from me when I took him outside to potty. He ran across my neighbor's yard and my neighbor shot him. This page is in Loving Memory of Vincent Lacey. *Born 1-20-2005. *Died 3-8-2006.

Forums Motto:
I am loved!

I've Been On Dogster Since:
May 2nd 2006 More than 10 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family
Princess Zoey
y* Alex

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

-Vince's Story-

Pup of the day!

November 6th 2006 3:40 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

What a surprise to wake up to TONS of emails and a message from Dogster saying Vince is pup of the day. We received many lovely messages about/for Vince. We got so many and it would take me a long time to reply to each and every one so I wanted to thank you ALL here. Thanks so much!

It's been 8 months since my sweet boy passed away. It still hurts deeply but I know Vince is waiting on me at Rainbow Bridge and he is busy playing with the other doggies there and having a blast. I look forward to the day we meet again.

I love you my sweet boy! And always will!


-Vince's Story-

September 1st 2006 7:05 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Vince was such a loving little guy. I say little guy but he was actually a BIG boy. At the time of his death he was nearly 85 lbs. He was my baby. Not a moment went by that Vince wasn't by my side. When I showered he was right outside the tub waiting on the bath mat. When I had to go to the bathroom it was a race to get in there and shut the door before he made it in and laid beside the toilet. If I actually made it inside the bathroom without him I'd walk out with him sitting in front of the door wagging his tail. While I was on the computer he would lay on my feet. He slept beside my bed in his crate with his head propped up on his blankies with his face towards me so that if I made any kind of movement whatsoever he would be able to see me.

Vince had hereditary mange. Every few months he would start losing his hair and get a musty smell but I still loved him dearly even though he would stink. =) He loved taking a bath. He'd sit in the tub and look as if he had a big smile on his face the whole time. Once I got him out of the tub and towel dried he would run around the house like a maniac. He'd go round and round the table slipping and sliding into the walls but each time he'd hit the wall he'd run even faster. He was so funny!

Since he had hereditary mange I would have to take him to the vet every few months to get new medication. He'd walk right in and do his darndest to get to the scales to be weighed. He knew exactly what to do and absolutely loved going to the vets office. He loved the attention and the special treats. When other dogs would come into the waiting area barking and acting all crazy Vince would sit with his head on my lap and watch them then look up at me and roll his eyes towards them then look back up at me. He gave me the look like, "They are crazy!"

My daughter had taught him to pick up his toys and put them away in his toy basket. Then he would bring me his toy basket to show me like he was all proud of what he had done. Of course, he would then get a treat. =)

He LOVED to go outside. When I would say, "Outside?" He'd run and get his leash for me and sit at the front door. When we put the leash on him he'd grab part of it like he was walking himself. My kids always thought that was hilarious.. him walking himself. He LOVED to go "Bye-Bye" in the truck also.

Vince was such a good boy. He brought so much joy into our lives.

On March 8, 2006 (one day before my birthday) I had asked Vince if he needed to go outside. We had misplaced his leash so he was running around like, "Where's it at?" He seemed so confused that it wasn't in it's usual place. Vince was really good about staying in our yard. Since we live out in the country, once in a while the kids and I would let him run around without his leash and we'd play ball or frisbee or just run around and let him chase us or we'd chase him. Since I couldn't find his leash I told him we'd go out without it this time.

We walked out onto the porch I was surprised with a deer leg that our outside dog, Alex, had left for us beside the door. I let Vince out, turned around to grab the broom to knock the deer leg off the porch and went back outside. Vince disappeared. My youngest son and I (who I was homeschooling at the time) yelled and yelled for him and couldn't find him no where. We drove up and down the road yelling for him. Finally we saw him at a house down the road exploring. We rushed back home and just as we were getting out of the truck and were heading towards the end of the house to yell for him we heard a gun shot. Just as we heard the gun shot my boyfriend ran out of the house and immediately looked next door. There was Vince, laying on the ground, trying to get back up and crawling towards us.

I started screaming and running towards Vince. Michael caught me and told me to get back home with my son. I refused. I got away from him and ran over to my neighbors to be with Vince. Vince took his last breath just as I sat beside him and starting rubbing his back. He died looking me right in the face.. straight in my eyes. It was so horrible. I kept apologizing over and over to him for letting him go outside without his leash. But he was such a good boy about staying in the yard without his leash so I never imagined he would take off. It was VERY RARELY that he would let me out of his sight so it was very unusual for him to take off like that.

Michael finally made it over to us and told me to go home. He said he was going to take care of every thing. I refused to leave Vince. I noticed that Vince's collar was gone and told Michael. Michael ran up to the guy's house and the guy refused to open the door. Michael threw the door open but didn't walk inside. The guy came to the door and Michael grabbed him by the shirt collar and pulled him outside. He asked the guy why he shot Vince. One of his excuses were he didn't know who Vince belonged to. That's bull crap considering we had lived here a year and was always outside playing with Vince plus all of our info was on his collar. He then said he was afraid Vince would hurt his Pit Bull. Sure, Vince was a big guy but Vince wouldn't hurt a flea. Vince was actually afraid of other dogs and even cats. When he played with Alex and Alex would get rough with him he would come running to me and hide behind my legs. Michael asked the guy where Vince's collar was and the guy said he didn't know. Michael just happened to look inside the house and there it was on a table beside the door. Michael grabbed the collar and shoved it in the guy's face and then said that there was no way he didn't know who Vince belonged to.

Michael and the guy exchanged a few not so nice words and then came back to me and Vince. The guy came out told us to leave his yard. Michael told him we weren't leaving until the guy agreed to dig Vince's grave. At this point I'm was crying uncontrollably and trying to keep Trevor from seeing the hole in Vince's neck. We carried Vince home and the guy started digging Vince's grave in the spot that I picked out. Michael stood over the guy while he dug Vince's grave on his knees with his hands and with a shovel. He dug for two hours straight until he finally got the hole dug to my satisfaction. In the meantime, the phone rang and it was my grandmother. Trevor told her what had happened. Not too long after they hung up, my mother showed up. She said a few choice words to the guy and then took Trevor in the house to calm him down.

I sat beside Vince the whole time rubbing his back. It was just so unreal. I just don't understand why anyone could be so cruel. To this day it is still so hard to drive by the guys house without picturing Vince laying in the back yard trying to crawl home to me.

See all diary entries for *In Loving Memory* Vince