Likes: a tie between having a piece of cheese and going for a ride in the car, with his head out the window. Also loves riding in bicycle basket, being petted, playing with his toys, tearing to pieces the occasional paper towel
Pet-Peeves: going to vet, being brushed, being towel dried, brooms, vacuum cleaners, too much hugging!
Favorite Toy: NEW FAVORITE TOY: Among the many dozens of toys he has, he has become very attached to a toilet paper tube - go figure.
Favorite Walk: Around the inside perimeter of the yard, investigating.
Best Tricks: sit, down, gimme paw, kiss, stay, come, go get it!
Arrival Story: Pumpkin is a toy poodle, a rescue - Almost Home in Southfield, Michigan (a no-kill shelter) took him and 60+ other dogs from a hoarder and I was lucky enough to become Pumpkin's mom just days later. He is very calm and loving. He has been this way since I got him, even though at that time he was matted, and weighed 2 lbs., with bad teeth and a huge gash on his leg for which he had to have surgery - though he never complained. He has become a therapy dog and has visited kids conquering cancer and adults in nursing homes. Once I adopted him, I immediately became a volunteer at the rescue and have been active in helping dogs and cats find homes ever since. Please visit www.almosthomeanimals.org.
Bio: PUMPKIN HONORED BY ASPCA! WOW! OCTOBER 2008....
But don't ask me why - he's not a big hero like some dogs (just special to me)
He was featured in two recent ASPCA newsletters:
Dogs Who Give Back
and was named one of the EXTRAORDINARY DOGS
by the ASPCA.....
Habits (is this common?):
1. hops when he runs. Luxating patella - so I usually carry him cause I don't know if he's in pain.
2. turns in circle many times before pooping.
3. does big arabesque after he's pooped.
4. lifts his leg so high to pee, almost falls over - and has fallen over on occasion
HIS MOTTO: "Who wants to go for a ride?"
PLEASE ADOPT - THERE ARE SO MANY WONDERFUL, LOVING ANIMALS OUT THERE WHO NEED HOMES. PLEASE DON'T BREED OR BUY - SPAY AND NEUTER - AND RESCUE/ADOPT!!!!! I HAVEN'T BEEN ON DOGSTER FOR YEARS BUT I THOUGHT I'D SEE THE OTHER DOGS IN BIRMINGHAM, MICHIGAN, AND I AM SO PROUD THAT ALMOST ALL OF THEM ARE ADOPTED!
Forums Motto: IF U LUV ANIMALS, ADOPT - DON\'T BUY
My pal Camry the Bichon "tagged" me so - to be a good sport - I am writing 7 things about me - although my mom is pretty lazy about being active on Dogster.
Here are the rules I was asked to follow: Each player starts with seven random facts about themselves. Dogs who are tagged need to post in their diary the rules and their 7 pawsome facts. Then choose 7 dogs to tag and list their names. Don’t forget to bark them a pmail that they have been tagged and to read your diary!!!
7 RANDOM FACTS ABOUT PUMPKIN THE DOG
1. I am so in love with cheese of all kinds that when my mommy puts a piece of cheese in front of me, I start trembling uncontrollably with excitement!
2. I never bark - well, that's a lie, cause actually there are two occasions when I'll bark: one is when I think I hear the doorbell ring (it's usually on TV, but I can't tell the difference) and I run to the door barking - I need to protect the home, though I weigh only 3.75 lbs. And I'll bark - actually screech hideously - when the car stops and the ignition is turned off. My mom cannot figure out what this means - am I upset that the car ride has stopped? Am I afraid I'll be left alone in the car (that would never happen!) She is very puzzled about this.
3. Sometimes mom comes home from the office and, knowing how much I like to go for a ride, she'll give me a car ride for no reason at all - she'll just circle a few blocks to make me happy. She is pretty embarrassed about this, cause she knows I'm spoiled big time, but she can't help it. She feels guilty about having left me at home while she works... I like to ride in my mommy's bicycle basket. I stay put and let the breeze blow through my hair.
4. I don't really like walks - I always drag my mommy back home before we go a couple of blocks. But I do love to "go get it!" and fetch my toys. That's mainly my only exercise. But because I have bad knees (luxating patellae), mommy doesn't want to over-exhaust me.
5. No dog can life his leg as high to pee as I can. One time, I lifted it so high I fell over!
6. My mom makes sure to tell everyone who stops me on the street that I am a rescue so that people adopt and don't breed or buy. She knows there are thousands of animals like me who are wonderful and need loving homes - so why would anyone want to buy a dog? I am a great example for rescuing.
7. My cousin Charlie in LA (see my pup pals) is a bichon-poodle mix (rescued) and he lives to chase squirrels. I don't understand this fascination. I truly don't give a rat's butt about squirrels. I'm pretty laid back, actually.