Rest in Peace, Copper

Miniature Dachshund
Picture of Rest in Peace, Copper, a male Miniature Dachshund

Photo Comments

Home:Eastern WA, WA  [I have a diary!]  
Sex: Male   Weight: 11-25 lbs

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Rest in Peace, Copper

Coppery, Landshark

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Quick Bio:
-purebred-dog rescue

March 24th 1998

Being with me! Also going "bye bye", burrowing under the blankets, sleeping in until 10am if possible.

Hates baths, going to groomer, rainy days, cold days.

Favorite Toy:
Anything squeaky!

Favorite Food:
Anything and everything. People food is best (but not allowed!)

Favorite Walk:
Walk!?? Going out to go potty then right back into the house!!

Best Tricks:
No tricks...but he makes me laugh when he decides its dinner time 1/2 hr. before dinner, and sits there at the cupboard door and barks until we feed him!

Arrival Story:
Copper's owner passed away, and the daughter-in-law took him. Copper hadn't been around children so snapped at and bit the toddler (the toddler pulled his ear!) I met the woman as she was turning him in to the shelter, and she was told she'd have to pay $10/day for 10 days to put Copper in quarantine since the bite broke the skin! She didn't have the money to put him there for 10 days, and since I knew an older man who was looking for a dog because his dog just passed away, I told her, maybe I could help out?? She gave me the dog, I didn't even know what kind until we were walking to her car. I took Copper with me back to my place, and he thought he was my dog from the minute we met! I didn't feel very good that afternoon/evening due to a new arthritis medication I took, and Copper spent the entire time with me, snuggled up next to me on the bed. That same evening, I contacted the man who wanted a small dog and he was excited to meet Copper. But, the next day his landlord told him he couldn't have any more dogs!

We tried half-heartedly to find Copper a home (we got attached to him too!) since we already had 3 other dogs. But because of his dislike of cats, kids and other dogs, it wasn't very easy to do! We finally just gave up, and kept him. He's been with us a year now and I can't even imagine what life would be like without him! Since that time he has come to tolerate cats and our dogs, and our kids, but still has a dislike of toddlers, especially ones who run around very much around him.

Forums Motto:
Copper - get a long little doggie!

I've Been On Dogster Since:
October 5th 2005 More than 10 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family
Rest in Peace,
Sgt. TibbsIn Memory of
VeronicaCarlieConanRest in Peace,
always be
Rest in Peace,
Bismarck Patches 2.0
Kohl Oakley - rest
in peace
Fynnigan Frost

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

Copper's outings

Rest in Peace, Copper

June 30th 2008 5:23 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Copper is gone...we had to let him go.

For those who did not know, Copper, our 10yr. old Dachshund, who survived not only a splenectomy in February, but pancreatitis just a few weeks ago, was finally diagnosed with Cushing's disease.
This is a difficult disease in humans, let alone dogs.
Copper's symptoms were feeling always-hungry, searching for and eating food and non-food items alike.
This was what brought on the bout of pancreatitis.
He'd also progressed to feeling always thirsty, another symptom of Cushing's. He's also battled a urinary infection since the pancreatitis.

Copper had a miserable weekend, which included destroying a crate (he's been pooping out bits of plastic ever since) and eating all kinds of bad stuff, tearing open boxes and searching for anything, we had come to the point where we could not keep him safe any longer.
(We are in the midst of moving to a home we just purchased.)

It's too hot to bring him places to keep him safe, and that's only a temporary band-aid anyway, most times he manages to find something bad for him, no matter where he is or what we do to try to keep him safe.

Our only alternative was boarding him which would have made him even worse.

Last evening, in the midst of moving, and his misery, Copper lunged up as one of the balls we were throwing for Conan (our black/tan smooth haired Dachshund) he snatched the ball with a ferocious growl as if to say "I STILL GOT IT!!" We laughed hard about that - Copper has played maybe 1x a year since we got him!

Last night, the chuckles I got from watching him "play" with his friends, were short lived, and we woke up today to more gorging himself and feeling always-hungry.

We had to do what was best and our vet not only agreed, she encouraged our decision, saying, what we knew all along, he is miserable.

I am going to cherish the last Doxie parade, and yesterday evening, for my life.
I loved that dog so much.
He got me started down the slippery Dachshund path...!

Today, at the end, Copper left the earth with not one but 2 large milk bone biscuits in his mouth. The vet had inserted a catheter so we could talk to him and be with him and he could eat all the biscuits he wanted until he passed.

He was so happy - we petted him and his mouth was full of food... LOL we enjoyed that despite the pain of losing him, we were all there, the kids, Jeff and I and our vet, and we all talked about his ending at length and were at peace with the decision.

RIP Copper - you were so very loved.
March 1998-June 2008



June 12th 2008 11:30 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Copper has recovered from his bout of pancreatitis.
The vet is now suspicious that he may have Cushing's disease. We're praying that is not what is wrong but we strongly suspect this ourselves as he has many of the signs and symptoms.
Will keep everyone updated!


Poor never ends...!

June 5th 2008 9:33 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

On 5-15-08, Copper OD'ed on a chicken carcass which had been thrown in the trash, of all things!
He was bloated up and had a swollen tummy but Xrays showed he was "OK", so we just didn't think too much of it after it all passed.
Then on 5-31-08, he stole a whole box of those Queen Anne Chocolate cherries - milk chocolate kind - I tried making him vomit, but no go, and he seemed OK then, so we just kind of figured he'd be alright.
Then Sunday began vomiting, and acting very ill. By Monday AM, I knew something bad was going on so we ran him in to the vet.
Extensive bloodwork and other tests indicated he had come down with pancreatitis.
Today is 5-5-08 and he's still not feeling great, but improving.
He got a UTI from them cath'ing him on Monday for the urinalysis, and then today he's got phlebitis in the IV site he had, from the IV being in.
He's on antibiotics and all but gosh it's been the week from HELL for him!

See all diary entries for Rest in Peace, Copper