AKC Mydee's Little Boy~Daryl

Great Pyrenees
Picture of AKC  Mydee

Photo Comments

Home:Gainesville, FL  [I have a diary!]  
Sex: Male   Weight: 100+ lbs

   Leave a bone for AKC Mydee's Little Boy~Daryl

Quick Bio:



Favorite Toy:

Favorite Food:

Favorite Walk:

Arrival Story:
Daryl was My first Great Pyrenees, and My first Pet Therapy Dog~~He was shipped to Me by a long time breeder and friend in Colorado

One of Daryl's accomplishments was to bring a Lady out of a Coma that had lasted for several years~He gave some children their Mother back, just in time for Christmas~~What a present that was~~ Daryl left Us Sept 6, 1997~He waits for Us at the bridge to show Us all the new & exciting things that He has discovered~ ~

The Groups I'm In:
Canine Behavior Board

I've Been On Dogster Since:
March 18th 2004 More than 12 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family
"D" (AN"D" )
AKC Little Big
Man (Dusty)
The Foster
AKC Susie Girl
O' Mine ~Susie
Denny ~ AKA
Denim, Son of
Cooper "C"

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

My Diary

My Tail of Devotion for AKC Mydee's Little Boy~Daryl

July 24th 2006 8:17 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Hi! My name is Daryl!
The Story of my Life!
(Nov. 1988 - Sept. 1997]

breeder : Mary Milliken
Ripples Kennels

~~~~~~~~~Hi! My name is Daryl! My A.K.C. name is "Mydee’s Little Boy," after my father "Midas the Golden Touch." I am a Great Pyrenees, which is one of the "Big White Guardian" breeds! I was born way out in Colorado at the Ripples kennel, owned by a lady named Mary Milliken. I only weighted somewhere around one pound at birth, but boy did I grow! Full grown, I reached 153 pounds!

At twelve weeks, I flew to my new home clear across the country to Florida, to live with my new parents, Pam and Larry Croy. They had never been owned by a Great Pyrenees before, but I learned later that they had "studied" my breed for almost nine years, visiting kennels and dog shows to learn about my kind.

Boy, were they in for a surprise! My first night, I screamed, howled, and barked until I was hoarse. I missed my litter mates! I had plenty of toys, but I was still lonely. No one got any sleep that night. Or for several nights to come! Well, things settled down, and I found out that I really liked my new home. There were so many things to learn, taste, and explore! Of course, my new mother was not pleased when I started teething on her NEW china cabinet. Shortly there after, I learned that I was enrolled in something called "Obedience School." My mother and I went every week, and practiced every night at home. At the finish of the school, I was shocked to learn I had won First Prize in Obedience! Boy was I proud!

After I finished Obedience School, my mother took me to visit the local Humane Society to check out their "Pet Therapy" program. The people there liked me, but they were afraid I was TOO BIG, and that I couldn’t be lifted up to the patients so that I could "visit" with them. They also were concerned that I might scare the patients. After a lot a talking by my mother, they decided to give me a chance, and soon learned that my size also had some advantages. I could walk up to a bed, and be petted on the head, without the patient straining to reach down to me. I could also stand next to a wheel chair, and still rest my head in the patient’s lap. I even gave some of these patients rides. My mother would tie my leash to the wheel chair’s arm, walking along side of me to set the pace, and I would pull the patient along. They really enjoyed this!! Oh, the gleeful sounds they made.

My mother also took me to the Girl’s Club several times, where we would set upon the stage, and she would talk about the "responsibility of owning a dog!" Once she finished, all the little girls would gather around to pet me. I had learned to lie down so that my size would not scare the children. They had nothing to fear because little girls and women had a special place in my heart. No harm would come to them while I was around!

Time passed, with many more visits to nursing homes and schools, and even some parades so that I could be admired. I started moving a little slower, and I wanted to sleep later and longer. I started to get aches and pains, especially in my hind legs. Mother would talk sweetly to me, while she slipped a Bufferin down my throat for my aching bones. I started to act jealous of any other dog that I felt was getting more attention than I, and I would never let her out of my sight! One night, after dinner, I lay down on my soft blanket and went to sleep. When I awoke, I was in a beautiful meadow, full of flowers, and a big bridge that led up into the clouds. All of my doggie friends were there, but where were my mother and father? Oh well, I’ll wait! They will be along someday. After all, my mother always use to say that "If there are no dogs in Heaven, I’m not going!"

[Daryl passed away on September 6, 1997.]

This is a special Tail of Devotion

See All Tails of Devotion

See all diary entries for AKC Mydee\'s Little Boy~Daryl