Rudy (an Angel Hound)

Picture of Rudy (an Angel Hound), a male Whippet

Photo Comments

Home:WA  [I have a diary!]  
Sex: Male   Weight: 26-50 lbs

Send this Cutie a Message Add Me to Your Corral Read My Diary Give a bone! Give a Rosette or Star!

Photo Comments

Photo Comments (1)

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Rudy (an Angel Hound)

Rude-Boy, Rudolph, Whippet-Style, Rudabaga, Rooster, Rooster Booster, Rooster-Go-Booster, Roodles, Ruby Tuesday, Roochickle, Whipper Snapper

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Sun Sign:
Quick Bio:

April 18th 1998

Running, eating, being a couch potato.

Being told to get off the sofa, being ambushed by the cat, bees buzzing by his head, thunder storms, having his picture taken, vacuum cleaners, Faye dipping into his bone stash.

Favorite Toy:
Faye and anything he can use to play tug-of-war

Favorite Food:
He is a maniac for steak and dried chicken strips.

Favorite Walk:
The backyard and he also likes the woods. Rudy also loved walking to Gramma's house. :)

Best Tricks:
Getting everyone to like him...even people who "don't like dogs" ;o)

Arrival Story:
Rudy comes from a breeder who has champion show dogs. We got Rudy when he was a few months old. He is such a pleasure to have. Even when he is sometimes naughty it is difficult to be angry with him.

July 21, 2007: It breaks my heart but we had to send Rudy to the Rainbow Bridge today. One week ago Rudy had a stroke that caused him to lose the use of his hind legs and it was so bad he couldn't even wag his tail. We had a long road ahead of us with physical therapy but we were certainly willing to do it. Unfortunately, a couple of days after the stroke, Rudy became very ill. He went to the animal hospital and they put him on an IV drip. Turns out he had kidney disease. We were not aware of this problem as he had no real signs of it before (well, there were some signs but we didn't know it until after it had blown out of control and we looked back on everything). Perhaps the stroke caused his body to go into a frenzy and that triggered off the kidney failure (or perhaps the kidney failure caused the stroke?? I really do not know) but all of a sudden sweet Rudy was in critical condition. He also developed a horrendous staph infection that they were treating with antibiotics. In short, Rudy became seriously ill in a very short period of time. The vet told us he had a few months left to live, at best, and that was only if we were willing to put him through extensive therapy and medication, etc. and it just seemed like Rudy couldn't even handle it. He was so weak and he was going downhill so fast. We just had to let him go. He was a deep soul and a beautiful spirit and he will be missed forever. I like to think that somewhere out there, he is once again running full speed on those legs and bringing joy to all who meet him. :)

Forums Motto:
Whippet Good.

The Groups I'm In:
The Rudy Club, Whippet Lovers Unite

The Last Forum I Posted In:
What breed of dog do people think you are?

Cool Spot!:
Rudy has a little white spot on his back that often looks like a tiny heart shape :)

I've Been On Dogster Since:
August 23rd 2005 More than 11 years!

I Was In The:
Dogster's 2006 Holiday Picture Party!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family
NapoleonFayeMonty Q.

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

In a Whippet's Words....

Rudy is now an angel

July 21st 2007 1:32 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

I cannot even believe I am writing this but I need to update all of Rudy's dogster pals. Rudy had to be put down this afternoon. He had a stroke last week on Saturday. At first we thought he would be ok. Then he took a turn for the worst. He stopped eating and we had to bring him back to the animal hospital for an IV drip. It turns out Rudy had a kidney disease. I suppose the trauma of the stroke flared it up or something but he suddenly got very, very ill and it happened very, very fast. The vet thinks at this point, if we put him through extensive treatments he might live a few more months. But Rudy was clearly suffering and he was going downhill fast. He couldn't stand or use his hind legs because of the stroke....he was unable to even wag his tail. And he was sick. He was clearly feeling lousy and scared and miserable. We had to let him go. He was in my arms with his face in my hands at the moment he became an angel.

I am heartbroken, as is Rudy's entire family. This dog was a beautiful soul and he will always be missed.

Rudy L. April 18, 1998 - July 21, 2007

Run free, sweet hound.


Physical therapy for my stroke.....

July 19th 2007 11:11 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

I have started some physical therapy for my recent stroke. It isn't fun at all but I guess I have to do what I have to do. My mom and I are in for a long haul. I hope that in my next few diary entries I can report to you that I am healing and doing better. I sure would like to walk again. At the moment I can't even wag my tail. I am a happy hound....I need to be able to wag my tail! This stinks.


I had a stroke! This dog's tale of a health scare....

July 17th 2007 5:14 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

The last few days have been very scary for me and my family. On Sunday at 1 AM (today is Tuesday) my mom came to the back door to let me and Faye and Monty into the house. I was unable to move and mom came out to the yard to see what was keeping me. She found me, sitting in the grass, unable to move my back legs at all. Mom scooped me up and ran inside. She put me on my dog bed and I went to sleep....I was exhausted. Mom brought me to the emergency vet (because as you know, emergencies never happen during normal vet business hours BOL) and they did some Xrays. I was referred to a specialist so I could have an MRI because it was thought that I needed surgery. At that point, it was thought that I had a horrible injury of some sort. Anyway, this morning was my MRI and it was determined that I had actually suffered from a stroke.

I am a very lucky dog. My diagnosis, as horrible as it sounds, is actually a good thing when compared to what could have been. I will not need surgery and with some extensive physical therapy I am expected to make a full recovery eventually.

My mom and dad have to help me move my legs at least 3 times a day for five minutes each time. In a few days I am going to start water therapy, which should be interesting since I hate water and pools. But I will do what I have to do in order to heal. At the moment I cannot walk or even stand on my back legs....they are completely numb and I will have to learn how to use them again and I will have to learn how to walk again. But I am a strong boy and my parents have faith that I can do it.

That is all for is making me rest and take it easy. Thanks for reading my diary. I wish you all good health and I hope that none of you ever have to go through anything like this. :)

Woof and Tail Wags,

See all diary entries for Rudy (an Angel Hound)