Shiba Inu
Picture of Riku, a male Shiba Inu

Photo Comments

Home:Mountain View, CA  [I have a diary!]  
Age: 15 Years   Sex: Male   Weight: 11-25 lbs

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Riku

Rik, Rik-chan, Squeak, Squeak Puppy, Squeaku

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Quick Bio:

March 9th 2001

Naps, belly rubs, scratches behind the ear

Monthly visits to the Pet Spa

Favorite Toy:
Kong toys stuffed with biscuits or salmon treats

Favorite Food:
fried egg and sushi, but will settle for canned tuna

Favorite Walk:
Los Gatos Creek Trail

Best Tricks:
Spin around in 360 degree

Arrival Story:
Riku was born in Shizuoka, Japan and came to live with Ms. Betsy Sako of Nichebei Shibas on 6/14/2002. He came to live with me on 7/3/2003.

Riku was born Joubeni Go Sagara Inayukisou. His sire was the celebrated Nippo Champ Joubeniryuu Go Makuhari Nishimurasou. Both sire and dam are decendents of the 82nd Nippo Champ Beniryuu Go Yamanashi Andousou. Despite his impressive pedigree, Riku's show career in the US didn't last and I became the proud owner of a Japanese shiba.

I've Been On Dogster Since:
March 27th 2005 More than 11 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

Riku's Diary

New food... (8th entry) + staying w/ uncle King and auntie- Trista

July 3rd 2006 6:04 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Mom's up to something...

She had this nice lady come by over the weekend and rearranged our furniture and put up some pictures, but the most suspicious thing is they put away my crate and my doggie beds!!

A week later, mom sent me to live with uncle King and auntie Trista. I thought mom was going to go off on a business trip again, but the next night she showed up at uncle King's and took me on a walk. We ran into this 4 month old Japanese Akita, Mika, in the neighborhood. Mom didn't try to get me to go home w/ her that night, and I didn't want to leave either since between uncle King and auntie Trista, they walk me about 5 times a day, not 2 times a day like mom (rolling eyes). Plus auntie Trista gives me chicken liver treats just for being a good shiba, though she makes loud noises and funny gestures when I nap on her couch.

ps. Started Nature's Variety Raw Instinct (grain free) on 6/7/06. So far we're doing well but haven't lost weight the way Evo worked


My Tail of Devotion for Riku

July 3rd 2006 5:54 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Dear Riku,
Not sure if you pay much atention to the calendar years, but today is our 3rd anniversary. That's right, 3 years ago today, I picked you up from Betsy's in the afternoon and took you to Los Gatos Dog and Cat Hospital for a check up before we went home. I still remember it was a very hot day and you barfed in the crate on the way over, yet somehow you managed to stay clean.

I remember you were all excited to be running loose in my condo that night and played w/ your new toys eagerly since you didn't have to share them w/ anyone else anymore. In a few weeks you'll ignore most of them.

I remember you passed out in the living room around 9:30 that night, I didn't have the heart to wake you up and put you in your new crate, and left my bedroom door open when I went to bed. Around 12:30, I heard this squeaky toy going off in the living room, and whoosh! This fuzzy red form jumped onto my bed!! You wanted to play! I promptly crated you for the next 2 nights, and you never attempted to wake me up in the middle of the night again (though in a few months you'll learn to sneak into bed w/out waking me, and I would wake up going, "oh, you're here")

You also refused to eat for the first few days, despite me spending money on frozen raw food. I remember the first time you started eating at home was when I shared some of my Star Kist canned tuna with you. You gained ~3 pounds in a 4 months period and I had to put you on a diet, cutting down from 2 cups of kibble per day to 0.5 cup. 3 years later, we still have 1 more pound to lose!

I remember our first obedience class the following Monday, at Stacy's Wag'on Train at Downtown Dogs. You were the oldest student yet the 2nd smallest, with only Dim Sum the Yorkie being tinier than you. The rest were hulky, enthusiastic teenagers who wanted to play. You weren't too happy. You refused to sit and had your back towards the class most of the time. 3 years later, you still don't care for unfamiliar dogs who "want to say hi", but will lie down and nap just about anywhere, even while I'm shopping at the Nordstrom in Stanford.

I love you Riku. I'm sorry that I boarded you ~25% of the time and I've missed your 4th and 5th birthday. But I love you. You'll always be my first dog, my one and only "Squeak Puppy".

Your human mom

This is a special Tail of Devotion

See All Tails of Devotion


Riku's self intro

May 21st 2006 1:34 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

I was born Joubeni Go Sagara Inayukisou on March 9, 2001. Joubeni is my registered name on the Nihon Ken Hozonkai (Nippo) paperwork, but they called me Riku around the house, it means "land" in Japanese, and is a very popular boy's name in Japan. My breeder was Mr. Yukio Inami, I had two siblings, a brother and a sister. My daddy was the celebrated show dog Joubeniryu Go Makuhari Nishimurasou, so Mr. Inami had huge aspirations for me-- I was to grow up and become a famous show dog like my daddy!!

Well, as I grew older, Mr. Inami felt I was too friendly for the Nippo judges' taste, and sent me to the United States to live with Ms. Betsy Sako of Nichibei Kennel on June 14, 2002.

I didn't know much of what was happening to me, except that they put me in a crate, and put the crate in a large metal bird that made loud noises, moved and trembled like earthquakes at times. It was a long time before it stopped moving, but I was good, I did not mess my crate even though I was all alone by my lonesome self. I was a brave boy.

When I arrived, Betsy thought I was too skinny and sent me to live with Lori Durfor of Kuniko Shibas. Lori lived in Wine Country and took me biking everyday, so I put on some muscle real fast and went with Betsy to the National Specialty Show that fall. I placed second, which sounds very honorable but it didn't win me any points. In the next few months, I lived and played with Betsy's other shibas. Every so often she'd take me to compete at shows, but they told her my hocks were weak so she decided to find me a pet home.

One day in June of 2003, a nice Asian lady came to visit us. That was the first time I saw mom.

See all diary entries for Riku