Dreyfuss "Rainbow Bridge"

Boxer/Labrador Retriever [See My DogsterPlus Photo Book]
Picture of Dreyfuss "Rainbow Bridge", a male Boxer/Labrador Retriever

Photo Comments

"Dreyfuss on the bridge"

Home:Hodges, SC, SC  
Sex: Male   Weight: 100+ lbs

Happy Anniversary on the Rainbow Bridge

Photo Comments

"Happy Anniversary on the Rainbow Bridge"


Photo Comments

"Dreyfuss's best photo"

Dreyfuss after a swim

Photo Comments

"Dreyfuss after a swim"

Dreyfuss in the back yard

Photo Comments

"Dreyfuss in the back yard"

Photo Comments

Dreyfuss memorial

Photo Comments

"Dreyfuss memorial"

Dreyfuss and Mandy

Photo Comments

"Dreyfuss and Mandy"

Dreyfuss with his wings

Photo Comments

"Dreyfuss with his wings"

   [See My DogsterPlus Photo Book]
   Leave a bone for Dreyfuss "Rainbow Bridge"

Dummy Dog

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Quick Bio:
-service dog

Sleeping on mommys bed

Having Cujo steal his treat

Favorite Toy:
anything he can play tug of war with

Favorite Food:
ice cream

Favorite Walk:

Best Tricks:
jumping up and down when he needs to go to the bathroom

Arrival Story:
I got Dreyfuss as a six week old puppy when his owner met with me and my ex in a convenience store parking lot in June of 2000. Dreyfuss was in the bed of a pickup truck with his mother (a full blooded boxer) and his brother. I never said a word as I circled the truck three times. Dreyfuss followed my every move. We always believed Dreyfuss was either a lab or pit bull mix. It became obvious at an early age that Dreyfuss was a special dog. He would lay his head on my ex’s lap shortly before a seizure would hit my ex. There were times he would be outside waiting on the grass beside him when EMS would arrive after a seizure. Once he even went to a neighbor across the street to summon help. The police and EMS workers would tell my dog to “go to his room.” Yes, Dreyfuss had his own bedroom at one time. And Dreyfuss would go to his room as ordered. If my ex had been as intelligent as my dog, he’d have suffered fewer seizures outside. On many occasions he ignored the warning. We also trained Dreyfuss in water rescue. Like I said, he wasn’t your average dog. The home I live in now was burglarized shortly before I moved in. Dreyfuss put his big nose to work and found blood on the floor where the window had been broken in. A forensic team came back out to my home late one night to get a sample for DNA testing. There had been a string of burglaries in the area and I hope my dog played a part in identifying the thief. Dreyfuss enjoyed playing “keep away tug of war” with his toys. He’s wait until the last second to pull his toy out of reach. We always got a good dose of dog slobber playing that game. He also loved to ride. Heaven help the person who would come to visit and leave their car door open. Dreyfuss would get in the car and refuse to get out until he was taken for a ride around the block. This special dog has also seen the Atlantic Ocean, the Blue Ridge mountains and Lake Hartwell. Dreyfuss stayed in motels on vacation and was invited back because he only barked when he had something to say. He especially loved Lake Hartwell, where he learned to retrieve a stick from halfway across the lake. Over and over and over. I know some days we sent him out twenty times. He’d refuse to relinquish the stick in his mouth and a new one had to be thrown to get him to drop the old one. He knew what “wanna go to the lake” meant and would jump in place until we got the keys and let him outside. Dreyfuss was also housebroken from the day we got him. He nudged my hand that first night to be let outside. That later changed to staring at me and jumping up and down like a kangaroo when he wanted to go out. I don’t believe he had half a dozen “poop accidents” in over 12 years. Dreyfuss was never sick with any minor illnesses. Ever. No colds, diarrhea, vomiting or any of the other things dogs are known for. He had arthritis and a bad heart, both controlled by medication. We thought we were going to lose him in early July, but after an adjustment in his medicine he began playing with me after work like in his younger days. We had to keep him cooler than in prior summers since the heat index often reached 107 F. or higher in the afternoons. He spent his days with a fan blowing on him as well as the air conditioner. I had Laura wake me early enough each day to check on his condition. We treated every day like it could be his last, because we didn’t know. His last few months were spent with extra treats and extra hugs while we kept an eye on him for signs of pain or difficulty breathing. The early morning of September 6 came as a shock to my daughter Laura and me. I had just gotten home from work early. My relief was about half an hour early and I was able to leave about fifteen minutes earlier than I normally do. I changed clothes as soon as I came in the house, then sat down next to where Dreyfuss was sleeping on the couch. We have a good couch and a dog couch. He’d been sleeping on the good couch for a few days. Laura and I were talking about something when Dreyfuss started moving his head around as dogs do when they want a good scratching. Then Laura noticed his head hanging off of the couch. I said his name and lifted his head back onto the couch. It was then he took a deep breath and then another and he was gone. It was easy to see his breathing had stopped. Two breaths and he was gone. No struggle at all. His heart stopped beating. He just died, laying on his favorite couch with those who loved him. We’re so happy he left the world in this manner. I had been dreading a visit to the vet to have him euthanized. For one, Dreyfuss could be a dangerous dog. He would have to have been muzzled then sedated by men in strange surroundings on a cold table. Dreyfuss hasn’t been around men in over six years except for his vet and he really and doesn’t like them. He’s a woman’s dog. Laura and I lifted him off of the couch and wrapped him in a sheet. We placed him in the hall until morning when I could take him to the vet for cremation. A local college does them for $165 and they even include an urn. It still hasn’t hit me he was gone.

I've Been On Dogster Since:
October 13th 2012 More than 2 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

for 1822 days

Meet my family
FurbyMy Angel SpotMy Angel
Mia (Got
Annabelle (Got
Catherine (Got
Cocoa (Got
Sealy Cujo
LuckyShirleyPebbles AKA

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals