Bell (June 1997 - Dec 2005)

Boston Terrier
Picture of Bell  (June 1997 - Dec 2005), a female Boston Terrier

Photo Comments

Home:Richmond, TX  
Age: 18 Years   Sex: Female   Weight: 11-25 lbs

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Bell (June 1997 - Dec 2005)

Bell is such a proud Southern name, why would they call me anything else?

Quick Bio:

Give me a pretty day out in the yard and I'm a happy girl. Just on the other side of the fence I have cows to watch, a bull to bark at and a miniature horse to aggravate. What more could I ask for? This is "doggy" heaven to me!

My mom says I don't have any pet peeves. She says I'm the sweetest "dogter" she's ever had.

Favorite Toy:
I don't really play with toys much anymore. I'd rather wrestle with the other dogs in the family.

Favorite Food:
I like most all the food my Mom puts in my bowl. However, I'm not big on fresh veggies and pieces of fruit. She thinks because all the other dogs eat that stuff that surely I like it too. Not me though! I'm a "meat and potatoes" gal.

Favorite Walk:
Anywhere and Everywhere....I'll go anywhere my Mom goes!

Best Tricks:
I guess my best trick is walking on two. Everybody that comes over asks me to walk for them. I never thought much about it. I guess it's like riding a bike...once you learn, you never forget.

Arrival Story:
My "biological" Mom was moving out in the country near a well travelled road. When we lost one of the yard dogs to a careless driver she said "that's it!" I don't think she could stand to see anything happen to me, even if it was an accident. So she began looking for me a new family to live with. That's how my "new" Mom came to be. I'll always remember that day. When I arrived at my new home it felt like the first day of the rest of my life. Kind of corny, I guess, but true. I was going to have a big fenced yard with lots of room to hang out. I also acquired a ready-made family with 4 other dogs. And so my new life began. I have been living here happily for 6 years now.

There is one hitch in my story......... one day I was on a stroll outside the fenced yard. Unbeknownst to my Mom I wandered down the street. A "nice" lady invited me into her house. My Mom spent hours looking for me . She combed the neighborhood for several weeks. She talked to people out in their yards, but no one had seen me. She even called the Pound (just in case). I think she decided that someone had stolen me out of her yard. But the truth of the matter is that I wandered off by myself. I never realized that if I went visiting at someone else's home that they would not let me leave. It must have been at least 9 months or so when my Mom came knocking on the door. A neighbor across from this house stopped my Mom (while she was walking for exercise) and told her that she thought her lost dog (me) was over at this other house and had been there for quite a long time. My Mom didn't hesitate one bit. She marched straight up to the door and demanded to see her, Bell. I was soooo glad to see my Mom again. I didn't think I ever would, even though I was only a short distance down the street. I've learned my lesson though.....I'm not going to leave here ever, ever again. There really is no place like home! .................................. .................................. ................ In the early Fall of 2005 I again had a bout with a "reoccurring cough." In the past, my Vet always treated me for kennel cough. As I look back on that, my Mom and I think it was an incorrect diagnosis. I had never been to a kennel and none of the other dogs at my house had it. In Sept 2005 the Vet said I had a murmur and he decided I probably had Congestive Heart Failure. Well, the picture was finally coming together. I immediately began a heart med and Lasix. As the weeks passed I was not getting any better, even though my Mom held out hope for me. I weighed at the Vet's office 2 and 3 times per week. I was put on that "yucky" prescription low salt diet. I think my Mom began reading every label in the house. She even added Ensure to go along with the liquid vitamins and minerals. The number of pills were increasing.....although, most of the time, I could sniff them out of my food. I just hated them! Then my Mom started getting the Rxs in liquid form and she'd just squirt them down my throat. I know it was for my own good, but nonetheless, it still tasted bad. I went to a very special hospital for some extensive tests, but I knew I didn't have much longer. I was tired and my heart and lungs were more tired. My Mom cried many, many times during that 4 month period. She had never had to help any of her pets to die. I know she really didn't want me to suffer, but it seemed to be more than she could handle. After my last tests results indicated that there was nothing more that could be done, I, too, knew it was time. It was on my own terms that I chose to leave for the Rainbow Bridge about 8 hours before the Vet was due at my house. I was ready to go and I wanted to make it easier for my Mom. She prayed that I would die in my sleep. Now that I wait at the Bridge, I feel like my old self again. I've made some new pup pals here and now, I await another of my Mom's kids. His name is Macho. He is a 13 year old white Lab. He and I were yard buddies for the last 6 years. My Mom just found out 10 days ago that he has Cancer of the Spleen/Liver. It won't be long now.

I've Been On Dogster Since:
February 6th 2005 More than 11 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals