Close X


Echo's Adventures

(Page 28 of 41: Viewing Diary Entry 271 to 280)  
[First 10 Diary Entries] Page Links:  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  [Last 10 Diary Entries]  

Thank you!

July 18th 2011 8:33 am
[ Leave A Comment | 4 people already have ]

Thank you so much for all your gifts, well wishes and words of support and encouragement while I was sick. I am doing MUCH better now:) I'm not going to rehash everything cause mom said she kept everyone up to date on what was going on. I will say this though, it was very scary and confusing. I had no idea what was going on when they were sticking me with needles and had me hooked up to this tube in my leg. The kennel was so noisy with dogs barking and whining it was hard to sleep. Plus, I couldn't sleep wondering when mom and dad were coming. That was really the only time I could sleep. Mom came twice a day and spent hours just holding me and sleeping with me. Dad came too when it wasn't working. There is no doubt in my mind that they love me a lot to do what they did.

Mom said the vet was "kicking me out" because I was starting to feel better. I kept chewing out my IV (even with my e-collar on) and I pulled the puppy pads out from under my crate and shredded them so yes, I was starting to feel better. Really, I was just trying to get their attention so they would send me home and it worked!

Mom has been feeding me little by little and giving me my pills 4x a day. I hate that part! At first I didn't want to eat much, but now, I can't wait to eat! Mom only let's me play a little bit cause she doesn't want me getting too wound up. Heck, I could play all day and be okay now. But I understand mom being cautious. Chloe was happy to see me at first, but now she's back to that whole jealousy thing with mom. Yes, I am getting a little bit more attention from mom and dad since this all happened, but they DO give Chloe attention too. And, there are times when they want to give Chloe attention, but she ignores them because she's upset at them. She shouldn't do that, but hey, it's sis and that's how she is.

Anyway, my life is finally starting to get back to normal. Wish I could say the same for poor mom. Just when I'm starting to get better, grandma is really sick and in the hospital. Mom was gone all day yesterday with her and I'm assuming she will be gone a lot while she's in the hospital just like she was with me. Although, mom said that grandma is in a different kind of hospital for her mind and not physicial type so she can't go and visit as much. But I know mom and if she can go, she will! Poor mom, it's just been on thing after the other. But I know she's happy that I'm doing better and so am I!!! Thank you again to all my pals and I'll post again when something exciting happens. I don't much expect it to anytime soon since mom is being very careful with me and also with everything else that is going on. But if anything does happen, I'll let you know. Thank you all again:)



July 15th 2011 7:59 am
[ Leave A Comment | 4 people already have ]

Okay, we think we figured out what made Echo so sick... a toad! As you all know, she likes to play with toads. We'd never let her pick them up or get them in her mouth. With that being said, we all know that you cannot have a constant eye on our dogs when they're outside with us or even out to potty. We think she might have gotten a hold of a toad when she went out to potty one night at the cabin. Toads give off an oil-type stuff as their defense mechanism and that oil is toxin to dogs if consumed in large quantities. i.e. holding in their mouth or eating. So please BEWARE OF TOADS around your home and keep your pets away from them!!!! We're not 100% sure, but that is the only thing we can think of that would have made her this sick.

Okay, onto the update. Echo came home last evening and boy was she happy about that! She wasn't overly excited because she still wasn't feeling great, but you could just tell that she was so happy she was home:) Chloe was excited as well, but couldn't understand why Echo wouldn't play with her. It's not that she didn't want to, but the vet told us to try and keep her calm and not active for the night. Just plenty of rest and try to get her to eat. She did eat about 1/2 cup kibble and a little bit of can food that the vet sent home. And they also sent home a nice little pharmacuetical of drugs for Echo. She takes 6 different things and different times! I'm here to tell you, that was no easy task trying to keep them straight, but we did. Echo slept like a rock too. She probably really didn't get any good sound sleep because of the other animals in the kennel area, but I'm here to tell you, she slept last night!

This morning she did get sick after her first medication. Then she wouldn't eat for me either. She had to go back to the vet for her IV treatment... at least that is what we thought. When my husband took her down, they checked her protein and hydration levels and said they were all good and sent her back home. That concerned me because she didn't eat this morning, but they said all her levels were good and there is no reason for her to be there when she doesn't want to be. So we're just suppose to keep a close eye on her and let her rest and keep getting her to eat. So please, keep your paws crossed that we can get her back to the old Eckie soon. I'll try and post an update this weekend sometime and let everyone know how she's doing. I'm actually hoping the next entry will be from Echo herself, then you will all know she's back!!!



July 14th 2011 12:28 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

So last night when my husband and I went to see Echo, she was doing really well. She ate more chicken and seemed really alert. She did not vomit or have diarrhae since the morning. Her IV was cut when we got there though so I'm not sure how long she was without fluids. There wasn't tons on the floor, so I don't think it was very long. We stayed with her until after closing.

This morning the vet called with an update and Echo succeeded in in getting her e-collar off and chewing through her IV again. She had a little bit of vomit in her crate, but the vet believes it was from her anxiety. Echo is fine as long as people are there, but at night, she really stresses. My husband went to see her around lunch time and said she had no energy and would not eat for him. I think she's depressed because she doesn't like being there by herself at night. Plus, she was without fluids for who knows how long once she got the IV out. So, the vet suggested that since she gets so upset at night and when she takes a step forward during the day, she takes two back at night from her anxiety, that we take her home at night and bring her back in the morning for IV during the day. I think this will make a world of difference. At least I hope it does because she needs to eat and get her strength back up so her body can fight this on it's own. We're very happy that she's coming home for the night. I will be sure to post tomorrow and let you know how it went. Keep your paws crossed!


Making a turn for the better:)

July 13th 2011 3:18 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

I went to visit with Echo this afternoon. The vet said she hadn't thrown up since last night. They finally figured out what is wrong with her... Hemrrhagic gastreonteritis. In other words, she has a bacterial infection in her stomach/intestines. It appears that the treatment they have her on is working. She ate some kibble for me when I first got there, then immediately took a nap. About an hour later she ate some chicken, an again, another nap. Poor girl, I think she feels that if she moves she'll vomit again. But fortunately both times, she didn't. I took her out to potty and she urinated and still had diarehha, but at least it wasn't black and tarry, it's starting to get the brown color back which means the treatment for the bleeding is working. When I took her back in, we cleaned her up then I left for a couple hours. My husband and I are going back shortly, but I wanted to let everyone know that she does seem to be on the road to recovery. Thank goodness!! If all goes well and she continues to eat without vomiting, the vet said she may be able to come home tomorrow:) I will post again tomorrow. Thank you again for all your kind words and well wishes. It's great to know we have so many friends thinking about her in this difficult time.


Update on Echo

July 13th 2011 6:30 am
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Echo and I want to thank everyone for their gifts and words of support and prayer. We really need it in this dire time.

Sorry I did not post an update yesterday, but I left work early and spent the afternoon with Echo. She was in good spirits and was very happy to see me yesterday afternoon. She was alert, but you could tell she wasn't feeling well. She still cannot keep food or water down. She also now has blood in her vomit and dark stool which has turned to diarreha. The vet believes she may have an ulcer which may have been caused by her retching. As of yesterday afternoon, she still had good kidney functions.

I went back in the evening and she was very tired and we slept for over an hour together. The vet gave her another antibiotic and a stronger anti-nausea medication so they said that could be making her sleepy. She did perk up when I took her out, but she did have the running, dark diarreha. We gave her a bath before I left so she'd feel better that way. She wouldn't urinate for me last night though, but it was hard to tell if she had an accident in her crate last night.

This morning the vet called me and said that physically she looks like she feels better. She still has the diarreha and they haven't fed her yet so don't know about the vomiting. They are going to test for poisoning. We don't believe that happened, but we want to rule it out. If that comes back negative, then they'll do a series of batrium (?) tests to see if there are ulcers, blockages, leaks in the stomach or intestines. Her protein levels did drop a little because of the severity of her problem so they need to watch those. They are not at a dangerous level yet, but they need to keep a close eye on them so they don't drop any further.

I'm hoping to leave early again and spend the afternoon with her then go back down in the evening. I will do my best to post an update later tonight, but if not I'll post tomorrow.

Thank you all again for your prayers, we need them. Our little girl just has to get better. She is part of our family and we can't lose her.


Echo's very sick:(

July 12th 2011 6:14 am
[ Leave A Comment | 6 people already have ]

I just wanted to let all of Echo's pals know that she is very sick right now. She got violently ill last night and had to be rushed to the vet. All the bloodwork and x-rays came back clear so they didn't know why she got so sick. They kept her overnight and gave her anti-nausea medication and antibiotics and IV to help rehydrate her. The vet called this morning to say that Echo got sick in the middle of the night and also chewed out her IV. They cleaned her up and reinsert the IV then offered her some food. She wouldn't take it. They are going to test for lymes disease. She has been vaccinated for that, but there's always the chance. The vet will call me at lunchtime and if she's not doing better, I'm going to see her. We will keep everyone posted. Plese keep you paws crossed and say a prayer that Echo makes a full recovery.


Thank you!

July 7th 2011 7:30 am
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

I just wanted to give a quick shout out before I leave and say THANK YOU to all my pals who wished me a Happy Birthday:)


Happy Birthday to me!!!

July 7th 2011 6:53 am
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Yep, today is my birthday and I'm a year old... can you believe it! Mom and dad wished me a Happy Birthday at midnight last night:) Mom gave me some yummy steak for breakfast:D And as promised, mom bought me a new duck!!! And I got some raw hide treats too:) We're heading to the mountains in a little while so I'm sure I'll have even more fun today and the weekend too:D I hope everyone has a good one and I'll tell you all about my weekend when I get back.


Opps, I did it again!

July 5th 2011 7:39 am
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

As you all know, we went to Juniata for the 4th of July weekend. Mom, Chloe and I got there in the afternoon on Friday and dad came up early evening. Chloe and I had a lot of fun playing tag and finding sticks. Mom and dad did work outside for a while. Dad made steaks for dinner and of course, we got to have some... YUMMY!! That is one of the good things about going to the cabin, we get lots of left overs from the grill:) We did do too much Friday, but Saturday, well that's a different story.

Saturday morning the contractor came to move stone and drill holes for the fence. Dad got up early and went outside, but us doggies weren't allowed cause they were using heavy equipment and dad didn't want us to get hurt. Mom was still in bed cause she had a head booboo. Not one of those migraine things, but still didn't feel that good so she stayed in bed longer. I jumped on the bed with her, but she said I had to stay off cause I was dirty from playing outside. I was NOT happy about that. That's when I went and found a magazine on the one table. I ripped that all to shreds. When I was done with that, I went to find something else to get into. I found a bag that had these two small boxes in it. Well, you know me, I had to see what was in those boxes. I got one open and it had these 4 plastic things in it. I chewed on those until I got them open too. There was some really YUCKY stuff inside them!! So I stopped messing with those and went to get into something else. That's when the phone rang and woke up mom. Boy was she MAD when she saw what I did! Opps, I did it again, and I don't mean the Britney Spears song either. I knew as soon as she walked out to the living room that I was in trouble. Mom smacked my henie and put the crate back up and put me in it. She said I'll be lucky if I don't get sick, or even worse cause those plastic things I chewed up, well they were ant traps. YIKES!! Mom read the box, but it didn't say if it was toxic to dogs or not so she made me stay in my crate where she could keep an eye on me just in case I got sick. Plus, I was being punished for what I did. I know, I know, I shouldn't do those things, but I was mad cause dad wouldn't let me outside and mom wouldn't let me in bed. But now I wish I didn't do it cause I have to be in my crate and then when mom and Chloe went outside, mom said she needed to keep an eye on me to be sure nothing happened since I ate the ant traps, so she tied me to the front porch. Now that was torture!! Chloe was running around playing while mom cut grass and I had to sit there and watch:( Guess I should think about my actions before I do things. Mom finally did let me off the tieout when she went to cut the field so I did get to play chase with Chloe. Boy did I run! I ran so fast around the field and in through the high grass, no one was gonna catch me! We played outside for a couple of hours, then went in cause mom and dad had to get ready to go to dinner with Clair and Velma. I was okay with going in cause I was hot and pretty tired from running around. The part I didn't like was having to go in my crate while mom and dad were at dinner. She said I couldn't be trusted not to get into anything. Well, let me tell you, there was no way I was staying in the crate! So I worked the latch on the crate and kept pushing the top part (it's collapsable) until it gave and I was able to squeeze my body out. It hurt a little cause it was such a tight squeeze, and it even pulled out some of my hair, but at least I was OUT! Needless to say when mom got home, she wasn't happy that I was out of the crate. And she got home just in time cause I found the bag of chips on the counter and I got them to the floor, but didn't have time to open and eat them:( Mom put me back in my crate, but this time she took my leash and put it all through the top so I couldn't push it open again. Darn mom, you take all the fun out of things:(

Sunday was a fun day! Nanny and poppy Waple came to the cabin. Nanny, mom, Chloe and I went for a Kubota ride all over the mountain on both sides of the road. It was SOOOOO much fun! Mom let us go swimming in the hole too:) There wasn't as much water as before, but it was enough to splash around and cool off. That was nice especially since our creek by the cabin is all dried up. After we got back from our ride and playing in the swimmy hole, we went for a ride to show nanny around the area. When we got back, we just chilled in the cabin. I was okay with that cause it was hot out and I was pretty tired from running around the mountain. After dinner, we all sat outside. I love when it gets dark cause all kind of critters come out. I heard something in the woods, but mom wouldn't let me go investigate:( She did bring a flashlight to see if she could find out what it was, but we didn't see anything. You could hear it though and mom said she thinks it was a raccoon or possum. Wish I could have went to find out. Mom mad me stay on the patio after that so I just chased the moths and crickets around. I did find something that went into the hole around the well cap. I kept trying to get it out and dad looked to see what I was after, but he didn't see it. I finally got it out... it was a toad! Mom let me chase it off the patio, but I wasn't allowed to hurt it or lick it. So I just pushed it with my nose until it hopped away. We stayed outside for a long time and I loved it! Chloe ended up going in cause people were shooting fireworks and that upsets her, but not me. I'm not afraid of anything.

Monday we had to leave:( Mom let me right up front with her on the way home and although I like riding shotgun, I can't get comfortable in that seat. Mom said next time she'll let me in the back so I can stretch out. When we got home, we got to go swimming!! Mom said we had to get that stinky swimmy hole smell off of us. She said she'd rather us smell like the pool. We swam for a long time, then mom went to the barn. I was content to sleep in my crate cause I was trying to catch up from my busy weekend. When she got home, we helped her take trash out and we went to bed early cause we were all tired.

I had a really good weekend, except for getting in trouble that one time. We're going to the mountains again this weekend and our friend Dillon is suppose to be coming!!!!! I love my sis, but it will be fun to have someone else to play with. Hopefully he doesn't tire out as quick as sissy does.


Happy July 4th!

July 1st 2011 4:55 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

My family is heading to the mountains this weekend (with me of course:), but I wanted to wish everyone a Happy July 4th before we left. Be careful and stay away from those fire crackers!!! Eat lots of goodies and have fun in whatever you do. I'll tell you all about my weekend when I get back:)

  Sort By Oldest First



Family Pets

Chloe' - CGC,
Nikkita (In
Loving Memory)
Mickey (In
Loving Memory)


(What does RSS do?)