May 26th 2010 5:41 am
[ Leave A Comment ]
Most important if you want your dog to walk without pulling..If you own a retractable leash - THROW IT AWAY!
After I made the head collar I attached it to my lead by using a "larks head" knot. This makes it removable and movable, but it stayed in place on the lead if the dog pulled. By attaching it a little further up the lead (toward the handle) it allowed the leash clip to hang loose and became "self correcting". Which means it only tightens if the dog pulls, it loosens if the dog gives slack.
NO LEASH POPS!
Never use sharp leash corrections while using a head collar! The head collar is self-correcting!
1. FOOD. A treat bag with any food that can keep your dogs attention. Hold small bits of food in your palm with your thumb. OR A long wooden spoon (or similar item) with peanut butter on it. This is used to lure dog into correct position and as a reward for being there.
2. Use it to lure dog into head collar! Attach regular leash to flat or Martingale collar. Attach human to other end of leash...
3. Practice inside until you both have all the bugs worked out of method. Then move to the yard. No leash pops! The head collar is self-correcting. Use the smell of food to lure dog into position. Once he's there, mark, reward & praise. As he improves his understanding of where he is supposed to be, mark, reward and praise as you walk when he puts himself there.
4. You may notice he will walk beside you and look up often. This is good. Yes, he's hoping for more food. But he knows you control that food and is giving you attention. He will improve if you make a point to do this for 5 minutes 3 times a day in the beginning. If you walk daily it will become a wonderful habit.
5. Wean your dog off the head collar. At first you may want to wait til the end of the walk, when he's tired he's not likely to pull. Keep taking it off earlier as he becomes more consistant.
I bring it with me when I walk Sonny and put it on only if I need to.
See all diary entries for Truffle 1988 - 1991|