Age: 7 Years Sex: Female Weight: 51-100 lbs
Photo Comments (4)
Leave a bone for Ryleigh
Dogster stats for Ryleigh
7 times 139
Ry, smily ryleigh, snuggle puppy, Ryleighkinz, Miss Ryleigh, yoda
| ||Energy|| || |
| ||Intelligence|| || |
| ||Friendliness|| || |
| ||Playfulness|| || |
| ||Disposition|| || || |
April 2nd 2009
any kind of food, rough housing, and playing with other dogs
too much cuddling, people being afraid of her when she barks she is only telling them she wants to say hi
squeaky toys and kong wubbas
pepperoni and easy cheese
a walk through the woods
peekaboo, pray, "bang", closing a door
Ryleigh is a purebred German Shepherd from a breeder in Pennsylvania. She is from czech lines, and has several siblings working as police service dogs. She was born April 2, 2009, and was one of three girls from a litter of nine puppies. She was the mellowest of the three. She turned out to be quite the opposite.
I brought her home when she was eight weeks, and a month later we stumbled upon clicker training. I was looking for a puppy class and found one near us that used clickers and positive reinforcement. I had heard of it before, but had no clue how it worked. After an orientation class, and teaching her the click meant food she learned her first cue touch in less than five minutes. We were hooked. I love seeing the excitement in her eyes every time she learns something new. She amazes me every day how fast she learns. She would probably know a lot more then she does, but I am a full time college student. I am only able to work with her when I come home on holidays and weekends =[. She lives with my parents and sister because unfortunately a dorm room is not a good place for a German Shepherd =P. She was originally going to be "just the family dog" and running buddy. Who knew she would have such potential.
My Channel on youtube
I love clicker training!
The Last Forum I Posted In:
Blind GSD with high energy: driving me crazy (Help)
I've Been On Dogster Since:
|January 15th 2010
||More than 7 years!
Rosette, Star and Special Gift History
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
February 6th 2010 10:32 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]
Ryleigh is my first German Shepherd, and I did a lot of research before I got her. I researched for at least a year on several breeds trying to decide which one would be good for me. I would not trade her for anything in the world, but there are a few things I wish I knew to be better prepared.
1. "Tired" is not in their vocabulary. "Bored" however is, and they will let you know the second they are.
2. Just how much they really shed. I knew they shed all year round, and blow coat twice a year. However, I did not know shedding all year round meant I could make a Pomeranian with the fur that came off of her every day. Ryleigh doesn't even have her full adult coat yet. Her coat keeps getting thicker and thicker every day.
3. I wish I had learned about positive reinforcement earlier on. Even though I learned about it when she was about four months. It would have made the first couple of months with her a whole lot easier.
4. Just how much exercise they really need. Most websites made it sound like a nice game of fetch, or a daily leisurely walk would be enough for this breed. How they could be recommended for apartment life is beyond me. Our daily routine if I don't want her to drive me crazy is; an hour of fetch in the morning, hour long walk, half hour or more of training, an hour of fetch in the afternoon, who knows how long of rough housing at night, and then chewing a bone/kong/toy/whatever I give her until she finally falls asleep. It is a good thing we live in the country.
5. German Shepherds are not cuddly velcro dogs. They will love you unconditionally, but in their own way. For example, Ryleigh gets very excited to see me when I come home, but that lasts maybe five minutes. She then goes to her "spot", lays down, and watches you. Like a shepherd watching his flock =P. You never trip over her walking from room to room, but she will also never curl up next to you on the couch.
Of course not all German Shepherds are the same. Ryleigh is also from working bloodlines, and still a puppy. I wanted a big, furry, energetic, affectionate, and very smart dog. A dog that could do anything, and still have an off switch. I got what I was looking for, and I love her to death. Hopefully the off switch will come with time ;-)
January 16th 2010 9:47 am
[ Leave A Comment ]
Please vote for us on:
Zoom Room Dog Agility
If the votes goes through a window will pop up. You may have to go to view all entries to be able to vote for us (9 month german shepherd tricks).
This is our first trick contest it would mean a lot to us if you voted. She does the trick peekaboo, bang, weave, figure eight, clean up, and bow. We are also on you tube. Here is a link to our channel.
See all diary entries for Ryleigh|