Close X


The Adventures of Dora

(Page 3 of 8: Viewing Diary Entry 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

MMM good treat and I take care of mom

January 22nd 2010 5:09 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Mom went with her friend this morning and left me home. We are still working on my separation so she says it is good for me to stay home after I have went with her for a few days. I stayed home with dad and I did much better today. Mom and her friend went to a couple stores and went to Bark Ave Pet store without me. I was not happy about this but I forgave her because she brought me some goodies. She actually wishes she would have taken me because she said there are some things I could have helped her with.
Mom’s back was really bad today so she just relaxed most of the rest of the day. I got to chew on my new treat all day. Mom found me some of those Himalayan chews that my friend Ollie likes. MMMMMM they are good. Mom also got a good deal on some raw food they had on sale. Later in the day I started to alert mom and she called it pestering. Guess what about 45 minutes later her head started hurting. She is still working on figuring out my alerting vs. pestering. I helped take off her socks and pants, get in her comfy clothes and then I took a nap on her lap. I love taking care of my mom she just has to learn to let me do it.


Dog class

January 21st 2010 4:28 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

This morning mom was in a lot of pain. Her lower back and shooting leg pains were terrible. She was not even sure she was gong to make it to Physical Therapy. She managed to get there and the therapist tried a few new things with her in the water. After that she had her first Appt. with a pain counselor at the same facility. Mom said it was just an evaluation so she will see how it is next week. She is holding judgment until then. When mom got home she was worried that we would not make it to dog class. It is only our second week of intermediate and she hated to miss it. Well the PT must have helped because the pain was much better by the time to leave for class. We went early so I could burn off some excitement. The trainer was great with mom and helped give her some ideas that would work better for us. I was still a little squirrelly at the beginning of class but by the end we were doing really well together. My heeling was much better which is something mom has really wanted to improve. The trainer said we were doing great and really improved through the hour. She also fitted me for a gentle leader that mom is going to try on me. Not that I am doing that poorly just trying a different approach. We heeled and worked for an hour straight and both mom and I were very tired. I came home and crashed and slept the whole afternoon. Mom said that even though she was on her feet almost the whole time her back is not too bad. Then mom shopped the internet for different gear for me. She is still not really very happy with my vest or backpack. She has found several she likes but they do not come in my size. The stuff that comes in my size she does not like. She is still toying around with making something for me. We will see what she comes up with.


Mom's DR, new tunnel, shopping, Petsmart and lots more

January 20th 2010 6:07 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

Mom had an early doctor appt with a doctor that would require all her attention so I stayed home. It was a new Rheumatologist for this area. Her old one is in Oregon. This was her second visit to get his opinion after all the test from a month ago. He was very good and confirmed mom’s prior diagnosis of RA and Fibro. As well as they went over all her other illnesses. Mom really liked him and will continue on her current RA meds for now.
After the doctor she ran in a few thrift stores by his office to look for some stuff. She came home with all kinds of goodies and a cool agility tunnel. It is a small one but was only $5. She knew how much I love d the tunnel at puppy class and thought we could have some fun with and even use it as a training tool. I learn much better when having fun. I think she will take some pictures of me in it when it stops raining. She then came home had lunch and took me with her. We met Ellen to give her Shadow’s finished bed. We then went over to target and put my vest on and went in. Mom was looking for one of those pop up crates for the trip. Of course they were out of my size but she has other places to get them as well. We still have several weeks to get those things. Then we went to Ross to look for some kind of bag for the train part of the tip. She wanted something that will set on her seat of her walker. She brought home a couple choices and one will fit nicely. So she will return the other. Then she took off my vest and we went next door to Petsmart to desensitize me for class tomorrow. I was so wound up on sensory overload last week she thought this may help. We ran into the trainer who teaches the classes and she thought that was a good idea. She also suggested we try the GL so mom bought one. The trainer is going to help us with it tomorrow and we do not like it we can return it.
Then mom worked with me on watching and paying attention to her. I got lots of treats.
When we got home I was exhausted and took a big nap. Mom is worn out as well but she had to make phone calls for our trip. She booked Amtrak but needs to get a letter from our trainer saying mom is qualified to have me as a SDIt on the train. Mom contacted her and she said no problem. She is also going to do a mock CGC on me since I am a year old now. So we have a very busy month ahead of us. We are looking foreword to meeting all our California friends face to face and nose to nose.


Mom's neck and more trip planning

January 19th 2010 4:52 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

This morning dad took mom for her neck injection. They left early and all mom was allowed was a cup of tea. I am glad I got my breakfast though. Mom said it hurt more this time and that she thinks she had less sedation then last. On the way home dad pulled through Starbucks and got her a huge white choc. mocha latte thingy. Mom said it made her feel better even if she did get fat free, decaf and no whip. Once home she just hung out on the couch until all of the sedation wore off. I off course spent half the time comforting her and the half irritating her. Once she was feeling a little better she played with me and worked on our trip plans. Then she made some cup cakes and more relaxing. It has been raining off and on since yesterday. I of course choose to have to go potty when it is pouring. Mom and Dad think I plan it that way but honestly I do not.
I am excited about our trip as we are going to meet many SD friends for the first time. Mom’ dear friend is flying to Phoenix to drive to Ca with us. This makes mom really happy. I am sure if mom likes her I will too. We are also going to see her best friend in Oregon who is also my breeder. So I will be staying in a house with 8 or so other Norwich Terriers. More on the trip later. Hopefully mom will be better tomorrow as she has lots to do. Dad is working so she has to go alone and I think I am going to some of the places with her.


Barrett-Jackson collector Car Auction

January 18th 2010 6:47 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

This morning dad, mom and me went to the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction in Scottsdale. It was pouring rain when we got there. They had shuttles from the parking lot to the event and this was my first time on one. I did really well except that there was not room on the ground so I had to get on mom’s lap and I was muddy. Mom said id was okay. We got there right when it opened so it was not too crowded. The auction does not start until later in the week but they have lots of booths and cars to look at. We did the inside stuff first because of the rain. . I was good although very distracted by all the people. Mom took her walker but still got tired and started hurting. Mom and I sat for a bit while Dad went and did a car simulator. We then went and looked at the cars that were going to be auctioned off. They were very shiny and boorriingg. We then caught the shuttle back to our car. This bus was bigger so there was room for me to ride on the floor. When we got home mom was not feeling well so she took a nap and then went to physical therapy


Mom in pain,Barkley's mat and our trip plans

January 17th 2010 4:45 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Mom had a bad day today. She did not feel good all day. Her lower back, shoulder and neck are causing her lots of pain. This morning she and dad went out to get a few things but they were not gone long. The rest of the day mom worked off and on sewing our friend Barkley’s travel mat. I could tell mom was not well and stayed close. Finally I kept pawing her leg and she would put me up on her lap then back down. I did this a few times and she decided to quit and take some meds. Not a moment to soon as the head pains started. She decided to rest and has been on the couch ever since. She is busy planning a trip for us. She said we are going to visit some friends in the Bay area in California. Mom and I have never been somewhere just the two of us. She is very nervous and excited. I hope these dogs like me. I of course love all dogs and people and know we will have fun, more details on that later on. Well I need to go check on mom she does not look good.


Dog Brunch and all my friends

January 16th 2010 5:14 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Mom and I picked up our friends Meadow and her mom this morning. First us four legged girls got some run and play time. Then we headed to the Dog brunch. When we arrived the mom’s decided to take a walk around the paved trail around the little lake next door. It was nice out and there was a man making howling noises. Mom said it was a man playing bag pipes. We stopped and the mom’s talked to him. He was really nice and comes there to practice. He said he has been playing them for over 33 years. Meadow did not like the noise and I was not sure but I did wag my tail. We then continued as the moms talked blablablabla. Finally we headed to the dog brunch. It was at a place called “in the raw”. It is a little coffee, juice and dog bar we like to go to. They put a spread of dog goodies out on the patio. The mom’s put money in the donate jar for local dog charities and us pups get to snack on everything. Our friend Muggles the Norfolk Terrier was there with her mom and they sat with us. Also our friends Emily the Irish Wolfhound and Brooke the Bedlington Terrier came with their mom. I love Emily in fact all dogs and people love Emily. She is a wonderful soul. After al the mom’s had talked and us dogs had eaten we all parted ways. When we got home I was tired and took a nap. Then I woke up with a tummy ache and threw up. I guess there is too much of a good thing. The rest of the day I just hung out with mom while she used the puter.


Knee doctor and New class

January 14th 2010 5:53 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 5 people already have ]

Mom went to the new knee Dr. this morning. She liked him but he basically told her the same as the others. Very bad knees, old lady knees. Going to need new ones but not at 46, she will have to wait. Meanwhile there is nothing left to do. She cannot have the injections anymore as she had a bad reaction last time. No more arthroscopic surgeries, she has had 4 on each knee. So he said basically to avoid the things that make them hurt, which is almost everything. When she got home her and dad did all the laundry at the park Laundromat and then it was time for my first class of intermediate obedience. Mom’s head was hurting so she took some meds since dad said he would drive us. We took the class at Petsmart from a well known local trainer. In fact mom had wanted to use her before but she stopped her own business and only works through Petsmart. At the time mom needed a trainer to come to the house. The trainer has trained SD’s in fact she had a stroke years ago and had one of her own. I am afraid I did not behave well at all. I talked to others with my cute little yodel and bounced around. It looked like I had no training at all. I just thought we were at a dog party and we should all be playing and having a good time. We went around the room and our mom s introduced us and them to the class. On cue when mom was talking about us I got up and did my really cute dance and tail wag. Everyone thought I was adorable however mom did not look that impressed with me at the moment. Mom kept repeating to herself “this is why we are here so Dora can work around other dogs and more distractions”. The trainer explained what we were to do and then we all went out into the isle in the store to work on it. I was waayy to distracted and barely noticed mom. She started to get frustrated and then I got frustrated. Then she got stressed and I got worried. Then all of a sudden she took a big breath and smiled down at me. We went for a little break and came back to the class. After that I did do a little better. This was just a new environment for me to work in. Also since I did not have my vest I figured it was fun time. After the class the trainer thought I did fine and agreed that this class was just what I needed. The trainer also told mom that she approved of how mom has done things with me up until now. She thinks that we are farther along then mom thinks we are. She had some great suggestions for mom.
After class mom told dad that she really like the instructor and thought she is just what the two of us needs right now. Mom learned a few new tricks to try on me to have me heel better. She is also going to start taking me a couple times a week to Petsmart to work just a little. So I get used to training in the environment. I was mentally pooped when we got home and slept the rest of the afternoon. Mom had physical therapy so she went to that. She got home and was exhausted and just shut down. I am lying with her on the couch right now.


Left home, grooming, bath and Salmon and Sweet potato

January 13th 2010 5:37 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

This morning mom and dad had to take the jeep into the shop so I stayed home for the vehicle shuffle. After that mom went and had her hand x-rays for her Rheumatologist appointment next week. Apparently they went shoe shopping after that. I did not get to go, I could have been very helpful. They were gone for several hours and even had lunch out. When they got home mom said we were going outside since it was beautiful out. I thought oh goody I get to go in my pen with the big bone. Then I saw it, mom and dad were setting up the grooming table. I think it is unfair to be left home and groomed in the same day. Well mom worked on me for several hours and she said it still look like a giant moth attacked me. Hand stripping is tricky and hard to pull hair evenly. I did pretty good and was glad when she was tired and called it quits. Okay now I thought I will get my bone. Oh noooo, it was now time for a bath. After bath was then too close to dinner time to chew on my bone. I was not very happy with mom at this point. Then she redeemed herself by putting some of her left over lunch in my dinner. She had brought home some salmon and backed sweet potato from lunch and she shared with me. My dinner was mmmmmmm yummy.


mom's PT, Sun bathe and my retrieving

January 12th 2010 6:59 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

Well last night mom and dad slept a little better but did get up several times with their coughing. I just look at them through the crate, roll my eyes and give them the “I am trying to sleep here look”. Mom headed to physical therapy and I stayed home with dad. I am doing better about mom leaving and did not pester dad as much. When mom got home she went on and on how great her PT was today. The therapist worked on her neck while she was floating on her back in the pool. She said it was amazing how much she was able to do on her and how relaxed mom was. She was wiped out though and took a big rest on the couch. Her head pain started up yesterday again so it wipes her out. I decided to tell her about her head and alerted to it. She said thank you but she was already aware of it (did not sound grateful to me at all). Then she started coughing and it sounded like she was choking. I got very concerned and stood on her chest and looked at her. Once she finally quit she told me thank you but once again not that helpful. Mom said at least I meant well and thanked me. She worked on our friend Shadow’s travel mat and finished it. All she has to do is finish the shoulder strap. We are hoping he likes it and will make him comfy on his plane ride to Virginia. Then mom said since it was warm, sunny, and beautiful outside we should go out. I hung out in my pen with my big bone and mom laid in her reclining patio chair. I like to lay in the sun it feel soooo good. Our neighbor came by and told me how nice my bone was and gave me a good pet. He is one of my favorite people and I can recognize his voice from far away. In the evening mom and I worked on my retrieving. She picked out several items and put them on the floor. Then she pointed to each one with the laser pointer. I brought all of the items even the metal one up to her in the recliner. She said that was my best yet and was very proud of me. Those games always wear my brain out so I had take a big nap.

  Sort By Oldest First

Dora CGC


(What does RSS do?)