These sweet dog-themed treats are the perfect homemade gift for the dog lovers in your life. When I’m not writing about dogs, you’ll find me in my kitchen baking decorated cookies and other desserts. I’m constantly on the hunt for easy-to-make (and share!) recipes that don’t require a million supplies to look party perfect.
This led me to one of the newest trends: cake-sicles. Yes, cake — in a popsicle mold, which means you can form it into any type of adorable mold you can get your hands on, like this paw-themed mold you might remember from our Pup-sicle recipe! I love multi-purposing.
What you’ll need:
- Your favorite boxed cake and
whatever ingredients it requires
- Icing — store bought is fine
- Candy melts or chocolate in your
favorite holiday color
- A silicone popsicle mold
- Popsicle stick
- Bake your cake as instructed.
- Once it’s cool, place the cake in a food processor or mixer and blend, adding a tablespoon or two of icing at a time. Pulse or mix until the cake and icing start to come together in a smooth ball. Add icing as needed —
it really doesn’t require too much.
- Melt your candy melts.
- Pour a little bit of chocolate into the mold and spread around until it is fully coated on all sides. You want it thick enough to create a barrier — but make sure to leave room for the cake!
- Let the chocolate harden, then fill the mold with cake, leaving a little room to add more chocolate.
- Add the popsicle stick.
- Pour more melted chocolate on top of the cake, and allow it to harden.
- Pull the pop out of the mold.
- Package them in a cellophane bag with some holiday ribbon or serve at your holiday party with a note — for humans only. You’re sure to get paw-sitive reviews!
Note: You can use any shape of small silicon popsicle mold. If you don’t have a dog-themed mold, use a dog-themed gift bag or decorate a gift bag with dog stickers.