Not only are these dog cookies easy to make, but they’re also filled with wholesome ingredients that your pup will love.
Sweeten your dog’s birthday with these delicious and adorable treats!
Dog birthday cookie recipe
Ingredients for dog cookie recipe:
For the Frosting:
- ¼ cup cornstarch or tapioca starch
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp honey
- Food coloring (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional) – xylitol-free only! Read our article on xylitol poisoning in dogs.
For the cookie:
- 1 cup plain (no sugar) pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp plain (no sugar or salt) peanut butter
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce or veggie, olive or melted coconut oil
Instructions to make dog cookie recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, water and honey, adding the water gradually until it is a nice consistency that will stick to the cookie (it should be a bit runny). Add food coloring, if desired.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, peanut butter, whole wheat flour, eggs and unsweetened applesauce or veggie oil. Mix together until well combined.
- Gradually add a bit of flour at a time to the dough, so that you can handle it without it sticking to your fingers.
- Roll out the dough on a well-floured surface to about ½ inch thick. Cut out the dough into desired shapes or use cookie cutters.
- Place the cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool completely before frosting.
- To frost, gently dip the top of each cookie into the cornstarch slurry, immediately add sprinkles, and let dry.
It’s treat time! Enjoy the homemade dog cookie recipe with your furry friend!