In PA there was a propane explosion at the Pazzazz Pet Boarding, located in the Pocono Mountains. Fifteen dogs died in the explosion, including Martha Stewart’s puppy, two more passed over the weekend.
The kennel in Lehighton was getting a propane delivery when the tank ignited, setting the pens on fire and injuring the driver, Timothy Kleinhagen, of Summit Hill.
Though badly burned, Kleinhagen managed to toss a cairn terrier over the kennel fence to safety. He was listed in critical condition Monday at Lehigh Valley Hospital.
“That man is a hero,” said the kennel’s co-owner, Karen Tracy. “My heart goes out to his family.”
Genghis Khan was a grandson of Stewart’s previous chow, Paw Paw, which died last April at age 12. He was a familiar face on her television show and in her magazine.
Co-owner Tracy, along with her mother, breed and train dogs that compete in shows throughout the country. Many of the dogs killed belonged to them.
We extend our heartfelt condolences to all those who lost a dog in this terrible tragedy. As well as to Kleinhagen and his family, wishing him a speedy recovery.