Have a Happy Halloween. And Keep Your Dog Away From the Candy!

 |  Oct 31st 2009  |   0 Contributions


I love Halloween. Sadly, tonight I am working at the veterinary emergency hospital. And I already know what the night is going to bring. People and dogs are very predictable.

People will leave Halloween candy unattended, in many cases just for a moment. Dogs will pounce upon and devour the candy, wrappers and all. I see the consequences of this every year, time and time again.

Fortunately, most Halloween candy contains milk chocolate (click the link to learn more about chocolate toxicity in dogs)--one of the least dangerous types. And many seasonal treats are made mostly of nougat, which isn't technically toxic. The wrappers generally are harmless.

But any dog that eats enough Halloween candy is at risk of more than chocolate toxicity or an upset stomach. Each year I treat several dogs for pancreatitis after they devour a stash of sugary treats.

Pancreatitis is a life-threatening inflammation of an organ that is involved in the digestion of food. Dogs who recover from pancreatitis are at increased risk of diabetes later in life.

Have fun this Halloween. But watch the dog!

Contributions

Tip: Creating a profile and avatar takes just a minute and is a great way to participate in Dogster's community of people who are passionate about dogs.

blog comments powered by Disqus