Why does my dog take his kibble out the bowl and to the carpet to eat?

Asked by Member 989191 on May 27th 2010 Tagged foodtocarpettoeat in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Probably goes back to instinct somewhat. When a dog, wild or domestic, eats his natural diet (*meaty* bones, organs, etc), he doesn't eat out of a bowl because he has to work at the food and it's easier to do so in his own way rather than out of a bowl. Kibble, on the other hand, is very simple to eat, so many (most?) dogs will eat it right out of the bowl.

Might want to think about putting newspaper under your dog's dishes for your dog to eat over when he takes it out of the dish. It's not hard to teach a dog to eat in a certain spot.

I agree with Cookie. It's likely instinct related.

Jack does this (Louie wouldn't dare waste time doing it, he's all about scarfing.)

Jack seems to prefer putting it on our persian rug and then standing on it. Sigh. Guess some dogs like to do this while others aren't as interested.

Saphira, CGC

Not sure, but Saphira (German Shepherd) takes everything out and puts it all over the floor...Kind of like a BUFFET TABLE. Then she goes from one item to another and eats EVERYTHING! (She gets kibble, cooked chicken breast, carrots, applesauce and cottage cheese.)

The other day she got baked potaoes, hard-boiled egg and her kibble and did the same thing.

Saphira, CGC answered on 5/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Most whys are guesswork. Shepherds? Yes, I had one. She would take a mouth full of kibble and walk into the other room to chew it. I am used to Labs that eat like you are going to take up the uneaten food in 15 seconds, not 15 minutes. They are terrible.

Angel

LOL, my dog will do the same thing. I agree with everyone else, it is instinct related. My dog, if she's eating outside, will also take some kibbles and bury them-also instinct related. I think she's saving them for later.

Put newspaper or a rag down where he takes them.

Angel answered on 5/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jeffery

Jeff does the same thing. He is a Shiba Inu and we have hardwood floors. The food bits get everywhere including the bottom of our feet and then make it into our bed and I hate it! I have no idea how to break this habit. We tried moving his food into a smaller space via the bathroom, but he still goes into the bathroom, grabs his food, and brings it into any area that we are in to eat it.

Jeffery answered on 1/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer