You may already know that certain foods like chocolate are toxic for dogs to eat, but there are actually several foods that are nutritious and tasty to humans, but toxic for dogs. We’ll give you a list below of both safe and non-safe foods for dogs.
Just remember, everything in moderation. Any dog, or anyone for that matter, can have a food sensitivity to a certain food. When feeding your dog a new food for the first time, only offer a small piece or portion to see if there is any negative reaction, like gas or diarrhea. If it is a treat for a dog — even if it’s the healthiest option — it should only make up 10% of your dog’s diet, while the other 90% should come from a well-balanced dog food diet.
Safe foods for dogs to eat
Vegetables dogs can eat:
Remove all stems and leaves, and chop into small, edible pieces. Only feed a few pieces or a small portion.
- Brussels Sprouts
- Corn (when cut off the cob)
- Green Beans
- Potatoes (cooked)
- Sweet potatoes (cooked)
Fruits dogs can eat:
Remove all skin, cores, pits, seeds, rinds and stems, then chop into small, edible pieces. Be careful as fruit has water and sugar and too much can cause diarrhea.
Meat dogs can eat:
Feed most of these cooked and chop into small, edible pieces. Only feed raw meat to your dog if your veterinarian gives approval as dogs with health conditions or on certain medications may have issues. Although safe meats are on this list, it’s better to feed the leaner meats. See rules to follow here and here.
- Other human foods dogs can eat:
- Cut up into small, edible pieces.
- Coconut (without the outer, inedible layer)
- Eggs (fully cooked, without the shells)
- Popcorn (without the unpopped kernels)
- Wheat & Grains
Peanut butter: Avoid brands containing Xylitol. It is high in fat so only give sparingly and never give to dogs who suffer from chronic pancreatitis. Avoid peanuts because if they are high fat and could be toxic if they contain mold that causes aflatoxicosis.
Check out our list of safe and not safe spices.
Foods that are dangerous for dogs to eat
This next list is crucial to remember. It’s easy to accidentally drop a piece of food and let your pup scoop it up. But this list may have you thinking twice next time.
Vegetables dogs can’t eat:
Asparagus: When raw, it’s too tough for dogs to eat and could become a choking hazard or cause an intestinal blockage
Mushrooms: While many mushrooms are fine for dogs to eat, some mushrooms that grow outside are toxic. To be safe, don’t let your dog eat wild mushrooms growing outside.
Onions, Leeks and Chives: These come from the Allium plant family, which are all not good for dogs
Fruits dogs can’t eat:
Avocado: Parts of the avocado — the pit, skin and leaves — contain a toxin that causes vomiting in dogs, so avoid giving these parts to your dog. The safe meat part is high in fat, so not great for dogs that are overweight.
Cherries, plums, mangos and peach pits, plus apple seeds: The pits and seeds contain cyanide, which in large quantities will poison your dog.
Grapes and raisins: These can cause kidney failure, so it’s best to just never feed them to dogs.
Tomatoes: A fresh, washed off and ripened red tomato cut into pieces itself is typically safe, but the green plant — the stems and leaves — is toxic.
Other human foods dogs can’t eat:
Almonds: not toxic, but they can become a choking hazard or cause an intestinal blockage
Chocolate: not good for dogs and unsweeted dry cocoa powder, baking chocolate and dark chocolate are toxic to dogs
Cinnamon: Small amounts only. Use Ceylon cinnamon, not Cassia as Cassia cinnamon contains coumarin, which can damage the liver if eaten in high amounts. Also, if your dog is on medications, check with your veterinarian as cinnamon has a mild anti-blood clotting effect.
Garlic: Best to stay away from unless you’re working with your holistic veterinarian. Can cause issues with dogs who have anemic conditions, dogs with immune system issues or young puppies still developing immune systems.
Ice Cream: Safest to avoid it. Sugar is not healthy to give to your dog, and some dogs are lactose intolerant, plus some ice cream contains xylitol. There are dog-friendly versions.
Macadamia Nuts: This is one of the most poisonous foods for dogs. Can cause Macadamia nut toxicosis, which causes weakness, vomiting, hyperthermia, etc.
Nutmeg: Contains myristicin, which is toxic to dogs
Walnuts: Best to avoid. Walnuts are not toxic, but they can become a choking hazard or cause an intestinal blockage. If they are moldy, however, they can be toxic.
Xylitol: Watch out for this sugar substitute in things like peanut butter, ice cream or yogurt — it is toxic to dogs
For more about dog-friendly activities and pet parenting advice, check out other articles by Dogster.com.