Lily

Flea Season?

Do you use flea treatment all year? Or do you do it during "flea season" only? If there is "flea season" when is it? Lily had her first flea treatment last month and we were thinking about doing it every month...but we were just wondering what everyone else does. Is it best to just apply it every month for prevenative measures? What has proven to be your favorite treatment? We are using K9 Advantix so far...anything better out there? Thanks!!

Asked by Lily on Jan 5th 2008 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

Flea prevetion is needed all year round, though it slows down a bit in the winter. Yes, once a month is a must, unless you have one of those new ones that you only need to do every 6 months. I like to do it on a day that is easy to remeber, such as the 1st of the month. That would mean that I would apply the flea medication every 1st day of every month.
My dogs use Advantage. It's what their vet and 1-800 Pet Meds recommended.

It my opinion, there is no such thing as a "one size fits all" approach to flea prevention, even though our vets would like us to believe that so they can sell us more Advantix every month.

What is needed to prevent fleas depends on where you are located in the US, and what your dog's life looks like. If your dog romps through the woods for hours a day, he's at much higher risk for fleas and ticks than a dog who only goes out to potty.

I don't like to use chemical repellents on my dog, because they are known to cause skin irritations, hair loss, and a slew of other health problems. They are, after all, chemicals that are absorbed into your dog's body. Fortunately, there are many safe ways to prevent fleas and ticks, such as food additives containing (non-dangerous) levels of garlic which creates an odor that ticks dislike.

A holistic vet will be able to recommend a good, safe, natural way of keeping fleas away without compromising or damaging your dog's health.

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

We love Bostons!I miss my little girl Segan,she passed away from a brain tumor in 2003.Any way I have been a Vet tech 4 well over 20 years so I can help alot with the flea thing.1st it depends on the area u r from but here is some general info that u can modify.Frontline is a great product.It's not motabilized by the body it just gets absorded into the sebatious glands&secretes with the normal oils of the skin.I use it on all 4 of my kids.It lasts4up 2 3 months.I start in July&apply every 2 1/2 months.Best 2 apply 2 days before a bath.applying the last dose in December.My kids go to work with me at a grooming shop as well as to a Vet clinic-very high exposure&they have NEVER had flea!So it works effectively!If u live in the warmer climates where u don't have a freeze season then all year 1x a month is reccomended.Please don't use the every 6 month stuff,if your dog has a reaction there is no way 2 get it out of your dogs system.any questions email me @ my dogster email.

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 1/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Daisy Dawg, NPC

I had been told I could avoid using flea protection from about December to the middle of February. The first year I did that and it was fine. This year (I live in Southern Ontario Canada and it's very mild here this winter).. I dropped my pooch off for grooming and they called and said she had fleas!! So.. my suggestion would be to continue it all year.

Daisy Dawg, NPC answered on 1/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer