Fetch this hiking gear for dogs for your pack:
1. Dog booties to protect paws (let your dog get used to them first). Wool socks make good emergency backup.
2. Dog backpack that fits snugly around ribs. Practice with an empty pack, then gradually add evenly distributed weight (up to 1/4 of your dog’s weight). Think lightweight, unbreakable and waterproof.
3. A reflective or bright-colored dog coat for cold; a cooling towel for heat.
4. Collapsible silicone or nylon dog bowls.
5. A light for your dog’s collar.
6. A secure tag with dog’s name and your phone number. Carry a recent photo and your veterinarian’s number.
7. A leash shorter than 10 feet and a carabiner to attach it to your belt.
8. A comfortable and breathable dog harness.
9. A First-aid kit.
Thumbnail: Silicone Travel Bowl Duo, petmate.com.
Read more about hiking with dogs: