Perfect for a dog who doesn’t like to wear clothes or as an addition to an amazing ensemble, this lightweight hat is perfect for trick-or-treating. The hat size can be adjusted up or down for your furry friend, but this will give you a good start for a small/medium hat that fits most dogs.
What you’ll need:
- Ribbon (with no wire)
- 1 piece of 12 x 12 black paper
- Halloween stickers
- Using your black paper, cut a quarter of a circle with about a 6 1/2-inch diameter.
- Use the quarter circle to create a cone.
- Using tape or glue, seal up the back seam. I used tape and then covered it with a strip of decorative washi tape to add a little flair.
- Go around the bottom of your cone and cut ¼-inch slits into the bottom every ½ inch. Fold them outward.
- Using the other side of your paper, cut a 5- to 6-inch square.
- Fold in half and then in half again.
- Cut another quarter of a circle out of the folded paper.
- Cut a smaller quarter circle about 1 inch in from the eight inner corners to make your circle into a donut.
- You may have to adjust the size a bit, but the goal is to fit your cone snuggly through the circle so the fringe you cut catches on the circle. Glue or tape the bent edges to the bottom of the circle, creating the hat.
- Glue two pieces of ribbon to the inside edges of your hat, leaving it long enough to tie around your dog’s head. You can always trim if needed.
- Decorate your hat with Halloween stickers, ribbon, glitter or anything else that suits your pup!
Editor’s note: This article first appeared in Dogster magazine. Have you seen the new Dogster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting room of your vet’s office? Subscribe now to get Dogster magazine delivered straight to you!