When it comes to spring baking, I think of carrot cake. Full of fresh carrots and sweet hints of fruit, it’s the perfect indulgence for a spring day — for humans, at least. Carrot cakes are often packed with doggie no-no’s like raisins, which are poisonous to dogs, and nuts that can cause a very upset tummy. But these carrot mini muffins are the perfect compromise to help put a little spring in your pup’s step. They’re packed with nutritious carrots and healthy pineapple. You and your dog might fight over these tasty morsels!
What you’ll need:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, lightly drained
- 1/2 cup carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Whisk oil, egg, honey and crushed pineapple in a separate bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry mixture, and mix until just combined.
- Stir in carrots.
- The mixture will be a bit thick, but you can add a little pineapple juice to ensure it is smooth.
- Scoop into mini muffin pans. If your pans are not non-stick, be sure to use muffin cups.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown. If you want to mimic a true carrot cake (for yourself — not your dog), top this sweet treat with a little bit of whipped cream cheese. Recipe yield is 12 mini muffins and can be doubled if needed.
Thumbnail: Photography ©saemilee | Getty Images.
About the author
Sam is a dog lover, writer, baker, crafter and Instagrammer. When she’s not writing, she’s decorating cookies at her blog Sugared AndIced.com or Instagramming her dogs @FrenchHuggs_ and @Quinnstadoodle.
Editor’s note: This article appeared in Dogster magazine. Have you seen the new Dogster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting room of your vet’s office? Subscribe now to get Dogster magazine delivered straight to you!