Myrtle

Inflammed ears and red eyes.

My puppy is 10 months old. She has red eyes and inflammed ears. The vet put her on allergy medicine and Ziomox for her ears. I can't say it has helped. I went back and now she wants her on Iams Veterinary Skin and Coat FB. I bought a 30lb. bag and now she won't eat it. Any ideas?? I can't add anything to it either.

Asked by Myrtle on Nov 3rd 2013 in Allergies

Answers

There are only three companies that make vet food: Hill's, Purina and Royal (in the U.S.) Talk to your vet. Hopefully your vet office carries more than one brand. One of mine is on vet food for stones for life at $55 a bag, and he definitely has preferences in taste between the brands. If not, you can get a prescription to buy another bag of the equivalent by another manufacturer. ^_^ There is no substitute for proper vet care or diets.

Pamela       -    Adopted!!!!

The Vet is assuming she is allergic to food. Food allergies are common, but red eyes and ear problems are not typical food allergy symptoms.

I really encourage you to see a canine allergist to get her properly tested. The allergist may want her to be treated for ear mites or an ear infection before he sees her for allergies. This is a common request as allergies are often diagnosed in error.

Pamela - Adopted!!!! answered on 11/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Have you tried feeding a grain free dog food? Orijen and Acana are both good and so is Merrick. A raw food diet is good too. To learn more about feeding raw, check out the Dogster Raw Food Diet Forum - www.dogster.com

If you don't see any improvement at all, I would suggest taking your dog to another vet for a second opinion.