I have a chihuahua and dachshund mix puppy 6 moths old. I've been trying to get him familiar with his harness, just his harness not leash. When I put it on him he drops to the floor and won't move, respond to anything not even a treat. He shakes terribly and I feel like I'm depressing him. What do I do??? Please help....

Asked by Member 1189512 on Sep 11th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Alfie

encourage him with toys if that doesn't work try putting a relieve coat on him as well that should take away any hesitation and fear
hope it works

Alfie answered on 9/19/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a 9 mos. chi and find the Puppia B harness which is like a vest works best for her. It has velcro around the body and secure snap above. After a few times of resistance now I get none. Love this harness... Hope info helps....

I would suggest a dog stroller. Apparently your dog has severe fear from abuse or just being a Chiweenie (ha,ha). Start getting your dog accustomed to the walks in the dog stroller. They're cool b/c your dog will feel safe in there with smells and treats, and also because you can wheel him around the mall. When he's a stroller expert, you can graduate to a harness worn in the stroller, and then just a harness. It will take awhile to alleviate the fear, but it can be done with patience. It's also good exercise for you to be pushing the contraption! ^_^