Best Dog for a Seizure Service Animal

My mums had a dog that would worn her of seizures before they would happen. Since she really doesn't show outward sign of them she also helped us protect my mom before she had one. Then there was just the general support of the crazy mutt provided, as my mom felt safe to venture out her own door, as of now the woman is a shut-in at 47.

So I was wondering what is the best type of dog to get, so I can have it properly trained. I have looked into programs, most have list for people who want a dog and they are a mile long. So I figure I'd pay someone the money needed to do any type of official training for the public, if the dog managed to pick up on my moms seizures. (Cause that in its self is a problem).

Her last dog was this ugly Terrier-Mix, that had bad skin problems. She did her job and lived to be 19. My mom has tried a lab, but he just wasn't into it. He did like the farm were he ended up. Plenty of birds to chase in the pond.

Thanks for any help.

Asked by Member 1099751 on Mar 14th 2012 Tagged dog, new, seizures in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

I'm not quite sure just any dog can predict seizures. I think the dog has to have a knack for it, like a talent, like some dogs are good at agility and some are not. I don't think you can just pick a breed and train them to predict seizures. I could be wrong, maybe someone else can give you better info on it. Try posting this question on the behavior forum on this site. There are more people there. Good Luck!

Finding a dog that can predict a seizure is trial and error. Very few dogs trained as medical companions are able to predict the seizures, they are trained on what to do when they happen.

The only way to know is for a dog to live with your mom while she has seizures to see if the dog starts to pick up on them before they happen.

Can she foster a dog? A foster dog is on it's way to a new home, but hasn't been placed yet. If the foster "parent" wants to keep the dog, most rescues allow it.

Good luck.

Carter

dogtime.com Number 7 is seizure alert dogs the informational website leads you to a rescue organization called Patriot Service Dogs the ladies there train the dogs to be service dogs.

Carter answered on 4/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Any breed can do a good job. Some of the breeds that you should look into are the Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever, Standard Poodle and the German Shepherd Dog. All of these breeds make wonderful SSA dogs.

Go to Seizure Assistance Dog - 4 Paws Ability - 4pawsforability.org for more information