Believe it or not, Labor Day weekend is here, the unofficial end of summer. It will be a busy time as families enjoy picnics and spending time outdoors, or even taking off for a last minute getaway.
Whatever is on the agenda you don’t want to forget about your four-legged buddy. Whether he’s joining in the activities or will be left home there are certain precautions to take to ensure a happy, safe holiday for all.
The ASPCA has some great tips to keep in mind as you prepare for the weekend.
1. Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals.
2. Always assign a dog guardian. No matter where you’re celebrating, be sure to assign a friend or member of the family to keep an eye on your pooch-especially if you’re not in a fenced-in yard or other secure area.
3. Made in the shade. Pets can get dehydrated quickly, so give them plenty of fresh, clean water, and make sure they have a shady place to escape the sun.
4. Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of paws’ reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing-or even kidney disease in severe cases.
5. Keep your pet on his normal diet. Any change, even for one meal, can give your pet severe indigestion and diarrhea.
6. Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach. Ingesting any of these items can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression in your pets, and if inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia.
7. Never leave your dog alone in the car. Traveling with your dog means occasionally you’ll make stops in places where he’s not permitted. Be sure to rotate dog walking duties between family members, and never leave your animals alone in a parked vehicle.
8. Make a safe splash. Don’t leave pets unsupervised around a pool-not all dogs are good swimmers.
The picture on top is Denver and his dad out enjoying a day of summer fun, they won a pet owner look alike contest that day. See the resemblance? Has anyone else ever won a look alike contest? Give me a bark.