When I came across the penn + pooch website, which showcases its line of fine dog apparel made in Los Angeles, my first thought was whether they made clothes for humans, too (selfish, I know). The colorful T-shirts, hoodies, and polos modeled by adorable small dogs drew me in with their bold, modern prints. I thought these shirts would appeal to Ace’s impeccable sense of style, so I reached out to penn + pooch for some samples.
Both bright patterns look as cool in person as they do on the penn + pooch website. I think the fabrics penn + pooch use set the company apart from other brands. I’ve never seen an article of dog clothing sport such fashionable hues as mustard, turquoise, and burnt sienna!
All three penn + pooch garments we tried were incredibly soft. They appear well-made, with clean, sturdy stitching. The penn + pooch logo is small, unobtrusive, and tastefully placed on each shirt. They are machine wash and tumble dry, so your pup can get her paws dirty in style. The Babe is 95-percent cotton and 5-percent Spandex, while the Stevie is 100-percent cotton.
One handy feature on both the Babe and the Stevie is a flap that allows you to clip a leash to your dog’s harness underneath. The flap was virtually invisible when Ace was wearing the shirts, and provided good access to her harness’s clip.
Penn + pooch’s shirts come in sizes extra-small through large. Ace’s measurements suggested she would wear size medium, but the shirts fit a bit snugly across her broad Bulldog chest. If your dog falls between sizes or has a broad chest, I suggest you size up.
I’m curious to try the Peyton ($34), a polo shirt that comes in lavender, mustard, and tangerine. This dapper little shirt includes a harness flap and a preppy collar.
Dogster Scorecard for dog shirts by penn + pooch
- Quality: Penn + pooch shirts appear well-made of soft, colorful, machine-washable fabric.
- Style: Your dog will probably look more fashionable than you do if you buy her a penn + pooch shirt.
- Function: Each penn + pooch shirt has a convenient flap that allows you to clip your leash to your dog’s harness.
- Creativity: All the little details come together to make penn + pooch shirts unique.
- Value: These stylish shirts are made in California, which is reflected in their cost. Shipping is free across the continental U.S.A.
Penn + pooch offers a stylish selection of shirts for small dogs. I am delighted to have found American-made dog clothing that looks this good!
Hey Dogster readers, share your favorite clothing brands for dogs large and small in the comments below.
And read more reviews from Ace’s Mama here!
Learn more about dogs with Dogster:
- 9 Tips for Keeping Your Dog Cool This Summer
- Let’s Talk: Does Your Dog Love to Roll in Stinky Things?
- Be Polite to Your Dog — It Benefits Both of You
About the Author: This East Coast transplant enjoys the bounty of San Francisco, including its microclimates, farmers’ markets, and secret stairway walks. When she’s not walking with, talking about, or kissing the face of her Boston Terrier, Ace, she blogs about Ace’s adventures. Product reviews writer and guinea pig at Dogster.