There’s a common saying where I live in the South: “I don’t have a dog in this fight.” Folks use it to convey a lack of personal stake in whatever issue is being debated, whether at the state capital or a cocktail party.
I cringe every time I hear the saying and politely explain why the person might want to rethink its use. In communities across the country, dog fighting is a serious problem — we should not be so glib about it.
This cruel blood sport must be stopped once and for all, and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals aims to do exactly that. Among many other efforts, the organization has designated April 8 as National Dog Fighting Awareness Day and asks that animal advocates join its #GetTough on dog-fighting hashtag campaign to push the issue into the national spotlight.
Join the social media movement today by doing any or all of the following:
1. Watch and share the short documentary Life on a Chain: An Inside Look at Dogfighting
It’s only 12 minutes long, but makes quite the impact. Be sure to use the hashtag #GetTough when you share.
2. Petition the Department of Justice for greater prosecution of dog fighters
Simply sign the ASPCA’s letter to the DOJ online, then share the link with #GetTough.
3. Take and share a selfie with the #GetTough poster or sticker
You can download both in the #GetTough toolkit, which also includes banners for your Facebook and Twitter pages.
The ASPCA even has a few celebrities, including AJ Lee, lined up to take part in the campaign.
The Dogster team cares deeply about this cause. In fact, No. 4 on our list of Dogster values is: “We believe harming dogs is criminal and should be condemned by society as such.” Our coverage includes reports on dog fighting raids and sentencings as well as inspiring stories about survivors of this horrific form of animal cruelty.
We’re taking part in the #GetTough on dog-fighting hashtag campaign. Won’t you? Please share your selfies in the comments below, too!
Read more about dog fighting on Dogster:
- Rescued From Dog Fighting, a Sweet Pit Bull Needs a Family
- Willa Was Used as Bait in a Dog-Fighting Ring, Until She Ran Away and Found Help
- How I Helped the Pit Bull Victims of a Huge Dog-Fighting Ring
- The Story of Bulletproof Sam, a Victim of Dog Fighting
- “Godfather” of Dog-Fighting Ring Sentenced to 8 Years in Prison
- Dog Fighting Event in Georgia Is Raided — By Police Helicopters