Dogster is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Learn more.

Are Poinsettias Poisonous to My Dog? Vet Approved Answer

Written by: Cassidy Sutton

Last Updated on April 15, 2024 by Dogster Team

close up of a red poinsettia flower

Are Poinsettias Poisonous to My Dog? Vet Approved Answer


Dr. Amanda Charles Photo


Dr. Amanda Charles

BVSc MRCVS (Veterinarian)

The information is current and up-to-date in accordance with the latest veterinarian research.

Learn more »

Poinsettias are poisonous to dogs, cats, and horses, but don’t tear down your Christmas decorations just yet. They’re not as poisonous as you would think.

The famous crimson-pointed flowers are only mildly toxic, meaning the signs related to poisoning are rarely serious. Generally, you can expect some mouth and stomach irritation, and maybe some vomiting depending on how much your dog ate. Other than that, your dog should be just fine. Still, if you’re concerned about the way your dog is acting, it’s always best to get them checked out by a vet right away.

Dogster_Website dividers_v1_Jan 18 2024-01-TEST

Why Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Dogs?

The poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) is part of a large family of flowering plants. Some plants are food sources, others are used for medicinal purposes, and others create beautiful waxes and oils.

Many of these plants are safe to handle and eat. However, some plants in this family contain poisonous fruits, leaves, and sap, and poinsettias fall into this category. The latex-like sap found in the famous Christmas flower irritates the skin and eyes after contact. Interestingly, scientists don’t know why this is, but they assume phorbol esters are the main culprits.

a red poinsettia flower
Image by: 5zal_Photography, Pixabay

Signs of Poinsettia Poisoning

The good news is that Poinsettias aren’t deadly to your dog, so you can still keep them around the house for the holidays. Just keep the plant out of reach of your dog.

If worse comes to worst and your dog eats the plant, you can expect these signs:

  • Mouth irritation
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Eye irritation
  • Drooling
  • Licking lips

The degree of these symptoms varies based on how much of the plant your dog eats. Usually, dogs experience only mild symptoms as the irritant and bitter sap puts them off ingesting large quantities.

excessive drooling of irish setter dog
Image by: Reddogs, Shutterstock

How Is Poinsettia Poisoning Treated?

Generally, the signs your dog will show after chewing on some poinsettias are mild, self limiting and don’t require any special treatment.

If your dog has eaten a significant amount or is showing concerning signs then you should contact your vet for advice straight away.

Occasionally your vet may induce vomiting if your dog has eaten a large amount of plants in the last few hours, but never attempt to make your dog sick at home. Supportive care, for example IV fluids may also be needed.

As for skin, eye, and mouth irritation, you can flush the areas with fresh water but your dog may require a special ointment from your vet to help ease the inflammation from the plant’s sap.

Other Toxic Holiday Plants

Several plants are toxic to dogs, but only a handful are commonly seen around the holidays. The most common are mistletoe, holly, and bulbs. Avoid these plants to keep your holiday fun safe and sound.

Poinsettias in full bloom
Image By: sandid, Pixabay

Dogster_Website dividers_v1_Jan 18 2024-03

Final Thoughts

Poinsettias pave the snowy path for the Christmas season. Even though they’re technically poisonous to dogs, cats, and horses, don’t worry yourself sick about it just yet. Go ahead and decorate your home for the holidays, but just keep the plant out of reach for your dog!

Featured Image Credit: Veronicatxoxo, Pixabay

Get Dogster in your inbox!

Stay informed! Get tips and exclusive deals.
Dogster Editors Choice Badge
Shopping Cart


© Pangolia Pte. Ltd. All rights reserved.