Springtime conjures up the image of colored eggs and bunnies — or, if you have a sweet tooth, Easter candy. One of my all-time favorites growing up was Peeps — those delightful, sugar-coated, marshmallow bunnies and chicks in amazingly neon colors. While these are clearly not dog treats, I wanted something equally memorable for my pups. And so these peep-inspired dog treats were born.
You can find licensed Peeps cookie cutters or silicone molds, or use any cutter or mold to shape these adorable peep treats
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter (without xylitol)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2½ cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup unsweetened, finely shredded coconut
- You can also use a little bit of natural food coloring or a touch of beet juice if you want to give it a fun peep-like color.
In a food processor, combine all ingredients except the coconut.
Pulse until oats are ground up a bit and everything is combined.
For shaping, you can choose any of these options:
- Scoop the ingredients into a silicone mold, and cover the back of the mold with the shredded coconut.
- Chill for 10 minutes, then roll between parchment paper and cut out shapes with cookie cutter. Sprinkle with coconut
- Roll into balls and immediately roll into the coconut.
Chill for 30 to 40 minutes before serving to your dog. Keep leftovers refrigerated.