Planning a trip for business or pleasure, but think it won’t be much fun without canine companionship? Many luxury hotels — even entire chains — offer special pet programs with fun and functional amenities that include “welcome walks,” gourmet treats, and memory-foam dog beds. These lush lodgings also provide maps to local dog parks and vets, and can, in some cases, even arrange appointments with pet psychics. Each hotel has specific rules, such as pet weight limits, and not all amenities are free; some hotels charge guests with pets nonrefundable cleaning fees — so ask before booking.
1. The Affinia hotel group offers its Jet Set Pets program at the Affinia Chicago, the Liaison Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., and nine New York City Affinia hotels.
Furry guests get welcome walks, food and water bowls, plush doggie beds, daycare, pet-taxi service, poop-collection bags, grooming, and more. Sessions with local pet psychics can even be arranged.
2. San Francisco’s elegant Stanford Court Renaissance recently launched its Society Dog package. In partnership with pet-supply and grooming shop Bow Wow Meow, the package includes water bowls, fresh treats, generous Bow Wow Meow gift certificates, and more. The hotel’s ever-changing electronic “Pets in Residence” reader board displays photos of current furry guests.
3. All Kimpton hotels — a group whose 54 boutique and luxury properties include nine in San Francisco, three in Seattle, and eight in Washington, DC — have been pet-friendly since 1981.
Kimpton’s “HosPETality” services include the arrangement of in-room beds, bowls, placemats, breath mints, pet massages, and more. At many Kimpton properties such as Chicago’s Monaco and L.A.’s Hotel Palomar, real live wet-nosed four-legged “Directors of Pet Relations” greet arriving fellow canines.
4. The historic Heathman Hotel in downtown Portland, Oregon, is proudly pet-friendly, offering a Pampered Pet Package whose pluses include a collapsible water bowl, several types of treats, a free vet visit and exam, poop-collection bags, and a choice of dog-bed styles — including memory foam.
5. Hundreds of Marriott Hotels around the world are proudly pet-friendly. Services include pet beds and free Internet access for investigating nearby dog parks and other destinations. Each pet-friendly Marriott has its own particulars: For example, the Providence Marriott Downtown in Providence, RI, features a special “pet walk” around the perimeter of the property.
6. Many boutique properties in the international W Hotels group are exuberantly pet-friendly, offering pet beds, pet food, and more. Services vary from property to property; the W Hotel in Scottsdale, Arizona, even offers canine yoga sessions. Downward-facing what?!
7. The Trump Hotel Collection has its own trademarked Trump® Pets program. Furry guests at Trump properties in Honolulu, Las Vegas, Chicago, and New York City receive bowls, toys, gourmet treats, and cozy pet beds. Hotel staff can also arrange for dog-walking services.
8. Set in the heart of Miami Beach’s Coconut Grove, the boutique Mayfair Hotel & Spa offers a Very Important Pets program that includes in-room pet beds, lounging mats, gourmet cookies, water bowls, bottled water, and more.
Can you think of a pet-friendly hotel that should have made our shortlist? Bark back in the comments below!
Our Most-Commented Stories