Guest

why would my dog vomit undigested food and have no diarreha?

there is no diarreha after the vomiting! she does not vomit a little either, its quite a bit!!! the last couple of days this has happened. Is it possible that she could have tape worm? she eats very fast after being sick. also the vomit has a smell to it, not a dog food smell, a nasty odor!


Asked by Member 825115 on Apr 10th 2009 in Emergencies & First Aid
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

In Loving Memory of BOOMER

A trip to the vet is always recommended with vomiting of unknown cause. There are several causes of vomiting. They do not always have to include diarrhea.

Causes include: Intestinal parasites (ie worms), switching foods brands, eating garbage or some people food,not eating (they would vomit bile and little or no food), gastrointestional upset, eating too fast, or an obstruction in the intestines.

If you believe that she is vomiting because she is eating too fast, put a large unbreakable heavy object in her dish that she cannot swallow (a soft ball works for most breeds). This will force her to chase her food around the object and she will slow her pace.

If she has vomited, skip a feeding and rest her stomach. Feed her a bland diet of chicken and rice - no seasonings- for her next few meals. Entice her to drink (slowly) w/water or chicken broth.

If she has a history of eating objects like toys, plastic or mulch..even rawhide, take her to the vet to rule out an obstruction!


In Loving Memory of BOOMER answered on 4/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


Aster

Yes slowing eating will fix some cases of vomiting. Yes, putting something in the food dish will slow it down. There are not one, but 2 easy, tested, effective ways to control rapid eating. You can spread the food out on a cookie sheet or something. Some of my friends just throw it on the floor of the crate. You can put large rocks in the food dish, much to big to swallow. Either way, the dog can't gulp down one big mouthful after another.

Otherwise the vet visit.


Aster answered on 4/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Moira

Itr sounds like she has eaten some she can't digest. She needs to see her vet. When Lily was full of carpet, her food had no place to go, she she vomited every meal.


Moira answered on 4/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


MIKO

I had the same problem with my dog (Shih Tzu) He would vomit every day, sometimes 2x. He was eating his food like it was his last meal!!!! i was reading up on it and i had ordered Le Bistro automatic pet feeder cause i needed to give him portion control and i placed a glass bowl upside down in his dog dish and now he has to work to get to his food which makes him eat a lot slower. The Vet also recommended that i give him Pepcid AC 1x a day. So far it has been 9 days and he has not got sick once!!!


MIKO answered on 4/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer