Logan

Why won't my dogs go onto my lawn all of a sudden?

I have two dogs Lucky & Logan and they have always gone out into our yard to go to the bathroom, lay in the sun/shade and play. For the last two weeks they refuse to go onto the lawn they walk on the cement patio and look around but will not go on the lawn even when i try to coax them they put there ears & tails down and won't walk. THey act like they are scared. I thought it was due to an excessive amount of ants so I treated the lawn and we have had several days of rain. No more ants and they still refuse. Ive had to walk them several times a day so they won't go inside and they have no problem walking on the grass in other yards or on the road side. Why are they so afraid to go onto our lawn all of a sudden? Our cats have no problems with going out there.

Asked by Logan on Jun 7th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

The fact that it's both of them tells me that maybe the ants bit them or they can sense the pesticide on your lawn. What do the directions on the poison say about how long it should last? Maybe they will change their behavior when it's worn off. If they were bitten, well, you will have to try to coax them with treats or toys or something. Good luck!

Wesley

I totally agree with the last response. Your dogs both had a bad experience on that particular patch of grass (very likely lots of ant bites) or they don't like the smell of the pesticide (which if there is residue, it's likely better that they don't go on it). Trying to pull them onto it with their leash will make them fight more to keep off, positive reinforcement is best. They look a might to large to try to pick up so maybe give them their dinner just slightly inside the patch so they have to set a couple feet on it and each time move it further in so they have to venture further in to eat. Make sure it's not the pesticides that are bothering them though. You don't want to end up with skin conditions or other poison reactions.

Wesley answered on 6/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer