Jazzy

Why won't jazzy eat out of his bowl but will eat off the ground?

So this just started today. Jazzy will NOT eat his food out of the bowl but will eat it off the ground. It shouldn't have anything to do with the bowl since he's had the same bowl for 3 weeks now. Any suggestions on what to do? Also jazzy eats dry food mixed w/ wet at night but i'm afraid that'll he get attached to wet food and not eat his dry food so should i gradually give him less wet food with his dry every night?

Asked by Jazzy on Aug 17th 2010 Tagged foodandbehaviour in Food & Nutrition

Answers

♥ Sparky ♥

Sparky did that for a bit. He had done it for a few hours, and it did not stop. This is what we had to do. Bring him over to his bowl, and start giving him food from your hand. Then, get closer and closer to the bowl. When he wants more, put it in your hand, but really close to the bowl. He may hesitate at first, but it will ware off. Once he takes it, offer another piece, and when he goes to take it, place it in the bowl. He should soon feel comfortable eating there and stay for a little bit near him. When he is eating out of the bowl and you think he is comfortable, you can leave. This may or may not work, but it worked with me! (Sparky)

♥ Sparky ♥ answered on 8/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ruby

Ruby did the same thing on and off for a couple of weeks. It wasn't anything to do with the food, it was the bowl, whether or not she's just extremely dopey or not, I don't know, but she wouldn't eat from it because it wasn't on an even surface (on the decking where her bowl was, a few planks were slightly raised and the bowl was between two uneven planks). You could try moving the bowl in a different position but other than that, I do not know; sorry & I hope you find you answer! :)

Ruby answered on 8/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sophie

My Sophie started doing this at three years old. She not only wanted to eat on the ground, she wanted to eat bits of food I threw at her. She now eats off a flat paper plate. She hates bowls. Maybe because she's a shih tzu and her little flat face gets squashed in a bowl? I have no idea.

Sophie answered on 3/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Samson

There could be many reasons why some dogs stop eating from their bowls after a while. I wish my puppy could tell me HIS reason! In his case, I switched to a flat ceramic plate where he could eat his food on an open surface, and I spread the food out a bit so that he could eat more 'neatly.' For some reason, it worked.

Samson answered on 5/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

TUFFY

My Tuffy has been doing the same thing! it's been around 3 weeks now, initially he had a flat surface steel/ceramic bowl and then I switched it to an elevated steel bowl so he don't have to drop his neck too low for eating, and it helps with digestion too, but sigh..lol he still prefers eating from the floor and from my hand. But off and on he still eats out of his bowl, I guess it's just a dog thing.I suggest you keep the bowl where it is supposed to be , and don't break the routine, dogs are creature of habit, he'll probably come around to it.I say that because every time I go out, and come back home the bowl is licked clean, which makes me think if he's hungry he will eat from it instead of starving. Good Luck!

TUFFY answered on 8/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dax

This is not an uncommon behavior. It could be something as simple as tags clanging on the bowl or even the bowls location. My Boxer will not eat in front of the French doors in my dining room, I suspect she doesn't appreciate her image in the window. I once cared for a dog who was afraid of a slight reflection in a metal bowl and would only eat if the bowl was plastic. Try moving the bowl to a new location Or a bowl of an entirely different material. Also the desensitization suggestion of hand feeding and getting closer to the bowl until finally eating from the bowl is a great idea. Good luck. :)

Dax answered on 8/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ellie CGC

I do not like putting my face in a bowl if the rim of the bowl is right around my eyes...it took Cindy a little while to figure this out but now I have a bowl with a very low rim (like about like a pie pan) and I like it just fine.

Ellie CGC answered on 8/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer