Why is my dog pulling out his hair and eating it?

I have a 4 yr. old Rottweiler and a 6 yr. old Beagle. My Rottweiler just started pulling his hair out around his tail and eating it then he throws up huge amounts of hair (only his own) why is he doing this and what can I do to make hime stop?

Asked by Member 787743 on Jan 5th 2009 in Answers

Best Answer

He's probably not pulling his hair specifically, but more than likely being irritated by something in that area and is swallowing his hair in the process of trying to alleviate either itching or soreness.

All sorts of easily treated conditions can cause behavior like this, as Miss Buddie mentioned, even food allergies can cause it.

Definitely take him to the vet. You won't really be able to get him to stop until you can figure out what is causing it and get him some relief.

Good luck, hope he's doing better soon!

Jack answered on Jan 5th.

Answers

Miss Buddie

I would take him to the vet. It could be a lot of things. I had a chi do something similar and it turned out to be a food allergy that was easily corrected.

Miss Buddie answered on 1/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer