Why does my tiny dog drink other dogs pee as its comming out?

My rat terror is a small male a few years of age, but everytime a dog pees, he will go up to the other dog and while the dog is peeing, he will drink it! Why is this going on?

Asked by Member 801857 on Feb 7th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Does he have fresh water available at all times? If not, that would explain it.

Jet

Does you dog have acess to water at all times? If not, that's why.

If he does, is he neutered? This may help with things like this. Check with your vet or local animal behaviorist.

Jet answered on 2/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When my dog was a puppy she would eat other dogs feces after they were done and sometimes while it was coming out. I'm still not sure why she did it. But I'm glad she doesn't anymore. It could be a lack in his diet or it could be territorial. I'm guessing in my case it was territorial since the feces she was eating came from a dog who had the exact same diet as her and she never ate her own. I would talk to a professional or vet about this.

Charlie

it could be lack of nutrition,if your dog drinks the pee, it may not have fresh water,he will eventually grow out of it.

Charlie answered on 2/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hormones in the pee. Also one may be coming into heat soon.